Nathaniel Bryan

Jefferson County ToC Recap/Results in The Courier-Journal

I was asked to freelance cover yesterday's 21-school, 180-ish wrestler Jefferson County Tournament of Champions for The Courier-Journal.

Wrote a recap and ran results (all 21 team scores, results from all 3 placement matches for all 14 weight classes). They actually had the story online (at 7:20 p.m.) and tweeted out before I got back home to Hardin County.

Was treated VERY well by the staff at Fairdale and met some coaches from around the Louisville area.

Live tweeted the finals as well at https://twitter.com/nateinsports

Anyhoo ...

St. Xavier wins Jefferson Co. ToC in landslide
http://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/preps/kentucky/2017/01/07/st-xavier-wins-jefferson-co-toc-landslide/96251874/

New to the sport so I'm not sure if this kind of stuff is commen but my son made it to the final four yesterday and would have wrestled Cook of St X for the championship  but during his match with the 126 pound kid from central he was grabbed by his balls and almost had them ripped off. After that he was done and went on to finish 5th. When it happened the kid walked over to his coaches and was laughing about it. Seems Central HS are teaching dirt tricks to win sad . Sadly the ref didn't see it so nothing happened to the kid.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Janet said:

New to the sport so I'm not sure if this kind of stuff is commen but my son made it to the final four yesterday and would have wrestled Cook of St X for the championship  but during his match with the 126 pound kid from central he was grabbed by his balls and almost had them ripped off. After that he was done and went on to finish 5th. When it happened the kid walked over to his coaches and was laughing about it. Seems Central HS are teaching dirt tricks to win sad . Sadly the ref didn't see it so nothing happened to the kid.

There are times kids will do things they shouldn't in wrestling . That being said, The coaches at Central are highly respected and on a personal level I know both Coaches Hayes and Founder very well. Those two I have the highest of respect for and I assure you that they would NEVER teach anything dirty or illegal.  I'm am 100% sure that if they seen this, that that wrestler would be punished. The coaches are 100% class acts

1 hour ago, Nathaniel Bryan said:

I was asked to freelance cover yesterday's 21-school, 180-ish wrestler Jefferson County Tournament of Champions for The Courier-Journal.

Wrote a recap and ran results (all 21 team scores, results from all 3 placement matches for all 14 weight classes). They actually had the story online (at 7:20 p.m.) and tweeted out before I got back home to Hardin County.

Was treated VERY well by the staff at Fairdale and met some coaches from around the Louisville area.

Live tweeted the finals as well at https://twitter.com/nateinsports

Anyhoo ...

St. Xavier wins Jefferson Co. ToC in landslide
http://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/preps/kentucky/2017/01/07/st-xavier-wins-jefferson-co-toc-landslide/96251874/

Quick correction it appears you listed Jimmy as the third ranked wrestler at 138 when it's actually his brother Konner. I will say again though that Jimmy wrestled like an elite wrestler last night

I am Coach Founder from Central.  First off I would like to apologize for your interpretation of the match.  Coach Hayes, myself and Faridale's coach spoke after the match on what occured.  Although Coach Hayes or myself didn't see what happened, your son's coach said that what happened was not malicious in any way and was an accident. His kid reacted like anybody would and that is what was saw by the ref.  I do take offense in you impplying that anybody at Central would teach such tactics.  I have stopped matches for smaller offenses that I have seen.  Although everybody likes to win, we would rather our wrestlers win in life.  We teach that this will be accomplished not by cheating or taking short cuts but by working hard.  

• Upvote 4

38 minutes ago, FalconWrestling said:

Quick correction it appears you listed Jimmy as the third ranked wrestler at 138 when it's actually his brother Konner. I will say again though that Jimmy wrestled like an elite wrestler last night

You are correct. I goofed. Right family, wrong wrestler. That's entirely on me.

I think Jimmy was shocked I wanted to interview him, but his dad - coach was thrilled.

1 hour ago, ukpridewrestler11 said:

Good write up. Why didn't Konner Kraeszig compete (138 runner up at Mater Dei).

As someone else pointed out, he was sick.

Couple of ranked kids didn't wrestle yesterday. That's how we got two unranked kids in the 285 final.

I mean no disrespect to the Central coach's but saying that I watched with my own eyes because once my son was laying on the mat in pain I was 10 feet away from the Central kid. He walked over to his coach's opened his hand and twisted showing them what he did. I'm glad to hear the coach's would not teach this type of behavior. After the match my son said it was the second time during the match he was grabbed,  the second time he not only grabbed but twisted and tried to raise him up. But maybe it was just a mistake.  I want to again apologize to the coach's , glad to hear that they do not approve of such behavior. Just a concerned mother.

Is there video of this match for proof? It seems like every year we get butt hurt parents complaining on here after their kid loses. The Central coaches would never teach this type of behavior. 

• Upvote 1

Thanks for your Comment ukpridewrestler11 , again I would like to apologize to the Central coach's and anyone else I offend. I could care less if my son wins or loses , he's not in it for that. Truly a great sport that seems to teach great life lessons. 

• Upvote 2