Terry

Confused how rankings work.

Could someone explain who does and how the rankings work. Noah Greenwell  sophomore at  Fairdale 9-5 finished 5th in the Bob Guy tournament finish 5th in the Jefferson county  invitational  and beat Nicholas Curtis who at the time was ranked 14th , then Lampe  ( ranked 6th )at the same meet forfeits his match against Greenwell .When the new rankings come out on the 3rd of January Nicholas moves up 3 spots to #11 and no mention of Greenwell in the top 25. His five loses all come by guys with winning records and In the  Jefferson county invitational  he lost to # 19  Calloway in the final four which if he would have won he would have wrestled Cook of St. X  for first place. Is it the coaches  responsibility to update the person responsible for the rankings ? Confused Dad. Thanks ahead of time for any explanation. New to this but already in love. What a great sport !

Ok, thank you. He's only wrestled for two years but very talented young man. I know it's not about rankings but think it can be a great motivator. Thanks again.

When there appears to be a rankings discrepancy there are a couple things it usually turns out to be

1. Result in question was never upload to track

Ranger can't know what isn't made available to him. For this talk with your head coach about making sure results are uploaded to track. For example we have been hurt in rankings because we haven't really been uploading our results to track but at the end of the day we are one of those teams that try to ignore rankings. Our wrestlers of course make a big deal out of them despite our best efforts, I know I did when I competed. As a ranker myself I believe that rankings should be made as accurate as possible so I get a tad annoyed when coaches try to "hide results" or "hide wrestlers" which I've seen happen many times.

or perhaps

2. You didn't beat who you thought you beat

This is very common with newcomer parents. For example you may have wrestled someone's backup or the person in question may have been at a different weight class, or you misread what the school was. You would hope coaches would be reliable in knowing exactly who their kid is wrestling but I know that even I've made mistakes in exactly who my wrestler is competing against from time to time.

if not that then

3. Your wrestler has losses making him unrankable

This can be frustrating to watch as a coach and parent, your wrestler losing to someone they have no business losing to. For some this happens more than others. Such results mean that even a good win can get drowned out by bad losses. So if you get a big upset win that doesn't immediately mean you will shoot up the rankings, if you have bad losses it will hold you back. Best thing to do is to keep improving and make the wins over ranked wrestlers the norm and not an exceptional exception.

Now there are cases where none of these three general rules apply but in my years of rankings I have found confusion over the rankings often comes from one of those three things. Hope this helps

• Upvote 4

Good luck you actually asked good questions rather than attacking a ranker. 

Still funner just reading someone saying how in ne he'll is my boy not ranked higher he whomped everone.

• Upvote 3

38 minutes ago, NatureBoy said:

Good luck you actually asked good questions rather than attacking a ranker. 

Still funner just reading someone saying how in ne he'll is my boy not ranked higher he whomped everone.

Gosh look at me agreeing with the ol NatureBoy a lot lately.... Woooooooo!!!

• Upvote 3

Just food for thought. Rankings are only updated every couple of weeks. Results taken off track. The ranking will move up as the record improves, the wrester beats a higher ranked kid, or wins or places at one on benchmark tournaments around the state. At any rate an unranked wrestler can win or place at regionals and the go to state to place. Ranger has done rankings for years and is best resource in the state to evaluate talent.

• Upvote 1