Sign in to follow this  
dbrown40

Wrestling without being assessed

There are still a few teams out there that have not completed teir assessment and are wrestling. What is the consequence of this and how fair is it to all the guys who are obeying the rules and slowly working their weights down? If no punishment is used for these teams then this weight management program is not going to work. What does everyone else think about it?

Guest wrestler92

I thought i heard that they had until the 15th of December to get all the paperwork and stuff done, but have not heard about any type of consequence if not.

Guest RaiderCoach

You have to be done with your assessment BEFORE your first match.  Your assessor must have your information in the computer before you can wrestle.

You have to be done with your assessment BEFORE your first match.  Your assessor must have your information in the computer before you can wrestle.

That is my understanding as well.

Hey Ranger is Lawrence Co and Johnson Central having teams or have they just not wrestled yet?  I was checking our region and they have not listed their assessement yet.  I thought someone said Johnson Central won a tournament a couple weeks ago?

Hey Ranger is Lawrence Co and Johnson Central having teams or have they just not wrestled yet?  I was checking our region and they have not listed their assessement yet.  I thought someone said Johnson Central won a tournament a couple weeks ago?

Lawrence wrestled at the LIT and I think I saw some JC results a couple weeks ago.  Maybe they haven't put the info into the system or they aren't following the program.  I don't know.  I don't know for sure, but I guess the KHSAA could rule a wrestler (or entire team) ineligible for not following the weight management program.  I doubt that would happen this year as it seems the entire state is baffled by this new process.

I think the punishment should be somewhat harsh because of the sheer amount of teams that are following the program. The couple of teams have no excuse for not following the program besides they want to cheat and get their kids down to weight earlier then the assessment requires or that they are to lazy to figure out how this system works. This program is making alot of people mad but it is put into place to protect the wrestlers. Other kids aregoing to start dropping faster then they are suppose to if there is no punishment put into place. To my understanding you have to have completed your assessment before your first match and have it on file.

I agree dbrown40 there are a few region 8 teams who have not posted their weights and paperwork but are somehow still competing in tournaments.  There should be a harsh punishment for these teams because we have kids on our team that could have went a weight class lower if they had a couple extra weeks to get their weight down.  This system is going to be a joke if the rules are not inforced.

I totally understand where you guys would be upset and also feel that everyone must follow the rules and folks who don't should be punished.  However, suggesting a "harsh penalty" for teams in volation of a rule that is new this year and that is admittedly confusing might be and overreaction.  No one should be able to violate rules to gain an advantage, but lets not start declaring wrestlers or teams inelidgable until all of the kinks are ironed out and time makes this new rule more standard.   

I would agree that some type of punshment should come about but maybe it should be something like they are not allowed to drop anymore weight even when we get the two pounds. This is not a confusing rule considering they put on a clinic in Lexington free of charge for anyone who wanted to attend. If you could not attend then you should have sent your assistant or a parent. This rule is only confusing if you make it confusing. Once you have your assessment done which we have been doing for t least one year now then you just have to punch the numbers into the computer and then it tells you exactly what weight you can go that week, then after you weigh in you punch your weight that you weighed in at into the computer and it calculates your next weight in. Seems pretty clear cut to me and I am computer illiterate.

I would agree that some type of punshment should come about but maybe it should be something like they are not allowed to drop anymore weight even when we get the two pounds. This is not a confusing rule considering they put on a clinic in Lexington free of charge for anyone who wanted to attend. If you could not attend then you should have sent your assistant or a parent. This rule is only confusing if you make it confusing. Once you have your assessment done which we have been doing for t least one year now then you just have to punch the numbers into the computer and then it tells you exactly what weight you can go that week, then after you weigh in you punch your weight that you weighed in at into the computer and it calculates your next weight in. Seems pretty clear cut to me and I am computer illiterate.

The only problem is that I don't think the process was covered well at all of the clinics, unless there was a special one on the weight program.  I was at the northern ky rules clinic and not much was said about the process.

Many many of the coaches were confused with the new system.  2 weeks into the system coaches were talking about the different interpretations of the rule.

The new system was not covered in any of the rules interpretation meetings.  The KHSAA set up a meeting in Frank. to explain the issue.  However they notified coaches a week before the meeting was to take place and many were unable to attend either because of prior plans or to far to travel.

As for severe punishment to the program.  I agree that there should be some punishment, but this is a coaches problem not the wrestlers.  Why should the wrestler be punished for the clerical mistakes made by their coach.  We still have many coaches in the state that are not computer users.  This is a huge change for them.  I could probably name at least 5 coaches that do not have an e-mail or do not know how to use the e-mail service.  I'm sure there are probably a half dozen more in the state. 

If you are one of the lucky ones who's coach understands and is following the rule, don't get angry.  This is for the wrestlers benefit and in no way hurts the wrestler.  Like all major changes people/wrestlers hate the new rules.  Remember when they first came out with the skin fold testing everyone thought it was unfair, and many complained.

Many many of the coaches were confused with the new system.  2 weeks into the system coaches were talking about the different interpretations of the rule.

The new system was not covered in any of the rules interpretation meetings.  The KHSAA set up a meeting in Frank. to explain the issue.  However they notified coaches a week before the meeting was to take place and many were unable to attend either because of prior plans or to far to travel.

As for severe punishment to the program.  I agree that there should be some punishment, but this is a coaches problem not the wrestlers.  Why should the wrestler be punished for the clerical mistakes made by their coach.  We still have many coaches in the state that are not computer users.  This is a huge change for them.  I could probably name at least 5 coaches that do not have an e-mail or do not know how to use the e-mail service.  I'm sure there are probably a half dozen more in the state. 

If you are one of the lucky ones who's coach understands and is following the rule, don't get angry.  This is for the wrestlers benefit and in no way hurts the wrestler.  Like all major changes people/wrestlers hate the new rules.  Remember when they first came out with the skin fold testing everyone thought it was unfair, and many complained.

I agree 100%.  The kids can't make their coaches schedule the test and input the data into the system.  And I can't imagine too many kids are going to walk up to their coach at the first meet and say "I can't wrestle today because you haven't done steps A, B, and C".  This should fall on the coaches/schools at this point.

But, rules are rules, and it is our job as coaches, teachers, athletes and parents to follow them.  There are ramifications to not following rules and laws, and isn't that what we are supposed to be teaching our kids?  Yes, that would be awful if a kid was told at a match he could not wrestle because his coach was delinquent on getting the info in.  Before the fact, he may not go up to a coach and say "I can't wrestle because you haven't done A, B,C."  But, I guarantee after the fact when told by a referee or tournament director that he is not eligible to wrestle that day, he would go up to the coach and say "I can't wrestle because you did not do A,B,C.  Why didn't you?" 

But, rules are rules, and it is our job as coaches, teachers, athletes and parents to follow them.  There are ramifications to not following rules and laws, and isn't that what we are supposed to be teaching our kids?  Yes, that would be awful if a kid was told at a match he could not wrestle because his coach was delinquent on getting the info in.  Before the fact, he may not go up to a coach and say "I can't wrestle because you haven't done A, B,C."   But, I guarantee after the fact when told by a referee or tournament director that he is not eligible to wrestle that day, he would go up to the coach and say "I can't wrestle because you did not do A,B,C.  Why didn't you?" 

You are right, but I think in this situation, the coaches may not have followed the letter of the law (we don't know this for sure!!!).  If the coaches have been confused about all of the details we surely can't expect the kids to know them.  So if we find out now that a team has been competing without completing the assessment, I think it would be harsh to rule them ineligible.  I think the coach should be fined or suspended or something, but the kids shouldn't be punished for this coaches error.

But, rules are rules, and it is our job as coaches, teachers, athletes and parents to follow them.  There are ramifications to not following rules and laws, and isn't that what we are supposed to be teaching our kids?  Yes, that would be awful if a kid was told at a match he could not wrestle because his coach was delinquent on getting the info in.  Before the fact, he may not go up to a coach and say "I can't wrestle because you haven't done A, B,C."   But, I guarantee after the fact when told by a referee or tournament director that he is not eligible to wrestle that day, he would go up to the coach and say "I can't wrestle because you did not do A,B,C.  Why didn't you?" 

Is there already a punishment defined for doing this?  If not, I really don't think it would be fair to just come up with a "harsh punishment" after the fact.  There are ramifications to not following rules and laws yes, but they are for the most part known in advance.  Most people know if they speed, they'll get a ticket.  Armed robery, it'll be a lot worse.  I haven't heard one thing about what would happen to a wrestler who does not comply with the new weight management rules.  I would hope this wouldn't snowball up to effecting someone's eligibility for regions or state.  That would be way over board.

Not to be cynical but don't you think some of these coaches are purposely "not understanding" the rules to make sure that they have everyone where they want them to be before the assessment.  Some schools set a date and all of their wrestlers are taking the assessment at once.  Others are testing individual wrestlers at different times.  I think that some people will always find a way to take push the rules to their limit if they can make it work their advantage. This is true in any sport and it contributes to the fact there is such a disparity between some teams. 

I think the punishment should be that they cannot wrestle until they are assessed starting now, or we could just all go what ever weight we want starting now?

I agree with the person who said that some coaches know how to work the system and will always do that and you cant really stop them but like Teresa said rules are rules and we should follow them as wrestlers, coaches, and parents.

Why don't some of these coaches that have not assessed their wrestlers yet get on here and justify their reasoning.

I know for a fact that some schools were assessed, but it was the assessor's fault that the paperwork was not complete.  Should the team be punished then as well?

I heard at a recent tournament that Tackett had said the assessments had to be completed by the 15th.  Before that the kinks were being ironed out, and I am not sure if people will be held accountable.