Ranger123

Kentuckywrestling.com HS Rankings 2016/2017 - DECEMBER 13

Finally recovering from lots of travel and wrestling and able to post an update.  We still have some fat test results to review and some results to consider from the first couple weeks, so look for multiple updates over the next few weeks.

Team - with the addition of Bacon and Woodford losing a couple kids, Union has a little breathing room at the top with Woodford/St X/Johnson in a pack battling for the runner-up spot.

106 - while there is some young talent here, this group is nowhere near as deep as what we saw last season; a few podium spots up for grabs right now; Knight was heavy when I saw him 2 weeks ago so I have pulled him off until we know where he is going; Zeke my clear favorite at this point, but Deck is very good too.

113 - starting to look like a fairly tough weight at the top; I see 4-5 kids with a shot to win this weight.

120 - added Bacon and Jordan Bates, both look to be competing for a podium spot; good deep weight; Wells is the favorite, but Bacon proved this might be open to a number of kids.

126 - Deck looking solid jumping to #5; need to see where Yost/Tucker settle before we know how this will play out. 

132 - wide open after Saul

138 - wide open after the top few kids; obviously Sheffer is the man here

145 - great weight, excited to see this play out; Johnson taking control early in the season

152 - another good weight with great talent at the top; Zane with 2 wins over Smallwood has established himself as the top guy for now.

160 - still some moving parts here; Smith the man on top

170 - Casey is a strong favorite, but who knows where the Johnson kids will be (assume fat test will be posted soon)

182 - Andreoni looks strong with a couple tough competitors

195 - If Irving isn't 100%, this could be WIDE OPEN

220 - without Reed, Orr could run away here

285 - this could be a solid group and potentially challenge Jones

HS_Rankings_16_17_Dec13.pdf

4 hours ago, gentleben1590 said:

a lot of kids ranked in weights they're not wrestling in

Yes you are correct. A good percentage of the kids in the state drop a weight from the first few events of the season. Kids also wrestle up in duals or while their lineup is filling out. I would guess half the kids in the state have wrestled more than one weight class already. Point being this is our best guess where kids will end up. As much as we try to reach out to coaches or even some kids and parents we don't have a clue what most kids plan to do. All we can do is guess based off results and body fat tests. 

I will add...

if you have knowledge of something that is not accurate then please share that info with us. We always welcome input. Prefer it to be correct info, but always open to more info. 

Adam Ogaz from apollo looked really solid at Derby City until he wrestled Mays. Seems like he could be a tough competitor in that weight. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Ranger123 said:

I will add...

if you have knowledge of something that is not accurate then please share that info with us. We always welcome input. Prefer it to be correct info, but always open to more info. 

Just from what I've been hearing:

Matt Steven (Larue Co) is 195 this year and is not planning on cutting to 182

Raymond Williams (North Hardin) is wrestling 182, with a plan to move up to 195 this year - not 170

Jackson Grimsley (Taylor County) is ranked at 132, but will be 126

I believe I've seen Gray from Caldwell Co make weight and wrestle at 160 already this year, not 170.

I was also told at Oldham County Superduals that Ogaz from Apollo (who looks good, by the way) will be dropping to 160.

Insko from Apollo may be going 120 as well.

Again, who really knows what's going to happen, but this is information I've heard, so far, so take it for what it's worth haha

On 12/14/2016 at 7:07 PM, the_notorious_wrestler said:

Chase B is also undefeated this season with an 8-0 record and dominating this season so far

Thanks for stopping by, Chase.

• Upvote 3

Its way to early for another rankings to come out, there are alot of kids undefeated at this point becuse they have really not been able to wrestle any true competition. The next 2 weeks will really say alot about who is who in each weight class

• Upvote 1

On 12/14/2016 at 9:33 PM, Ranger123 said:

I will add...

Peter Mark has been wrestling at 126 and will drop to 120 after Christmas. 

47 minutes ago, Fink4412 said:

Fink wins 1st at 5 star classic in Lafayette.  138 lb

Pretty dumb that someone would downvote that comment

1 hour ago, Trell9998 said:

Dang Jessamine need to step up, no kids ranked...I'm new to wrestling, kids first year, how does empty ranking spots get filled?

They're only in their second year as a program, and changed coaches last year to this year.  I'd give them a couple of years before criticizing their absence in the rankings.  West Jessamine looks to be developing a solid foundation though.

Off-season training is where champions are made.  Practice at least two days per week, go to some off-season tournaments, and two camps over the summer.  You'll be amazed in the difference it will make.