gameface

Youth and MS uniforms

2 minutes ago, gameface said:

What's a shame is that not everyone is able to make it to the meeting based on their jobs and lives.  We all do our best Plantman! Some people commenting are probley parents, High School Coaches that aren't apart of that meeting. As you recall last year Matt and I talked about putting these issues from the Spring meeting out on either this forum or a list of emails that we all could weigh in on.  We  consider these people to be invested in the youth and MS. Some have great ideas.  I consider myself invested and like you spend countless hours on State tourneys set up, take down, run tourney and MC. Move mats and much more when asked. Not everyone can make the meetings but we all have the Internet and email. I'm sure in our little piece of wrestling heaven here in Kentucky, we adults, can make the best decision for our programs and the state of kentucky wrestling without turning it into the joke of politics and splitting hairs over wording. . If it's matching compression shorts and shirts that look exactly like our singlets which will define us as being "uniformed" then there is no issue with disease carrying fabrics or arms/ fingers getting ripped off during their 4 1/2 minutes of wrestling.  And if Ranger weighed in favor of this then you have to change your position and vote or BE VOTED OFF THE ISLAND BY THE GRAND MASTER!!  Adam, all joking set aside, this is trying to build numbers and bring more kids into a sport that they might find their value in. Isn't that worth trying something different if we could influence kids to be involved? 

I completely get everything you have said.  When discussion topics went out for the spring meeting I got 4 replies from coaches wanted to discuss this topic, which we did, heck we discussed awards not being big enough, to the color of the ribbons on the medals being unique to more serious topics.  Until today, no other discussion has come up, the ballots have been out since August 11, thats almost a full month.  What else are we as officers to do, the information is out there and crickets, until 11 days before the fall meeting.  

I have received one ballot via mail.  1, from a coach that can never attend the meetings, but he sent me his ballot on August 23. 

Should have an option, tho I think numbers are low because  wrestling is hard and singlet is scapegoat. Better awards at tournaments always get kids attention ( gladiator helmets, swords, champion singlets, big trophies, belts )

12 hours ago, Nike Man said:

So far Nike Man every objective point on this thread has been by an "adult". It's been a great spirited debate between a lot of "adults" that invest a lot of time into youth  and Middle school wrestling for the same reasons. Plantman is one of the most vocal but also one of the guys that invest countless hours into this sport. And as usual, he's the one that will go against the grain and helps start a great debate. It's one of his greatest qualities to our organization. You obviously know nothing about MLee to make a statement about him or his character. Everyone on here, besides you, know that it was a joke. Just like the conference call about medals in 2022. How about besides bashing someone, add value to the thread. How do you think you introduce a young man that is overweight to nutrition and exercise. You invite him to get involved. You do that by offering something that looks better than a couch and IPad. If he sees cool gear, awards and other kids are talking about positive things about wrestling, maybe he'll get in the gym. Then we have a chance at changing his nutrition and exercise. We have to make it exciting or cool to them. It's the kids of today's generation. I am glad so many people have gotten on this thread about this topic. It shows that we "adults" love this sport and are always looking to improve it for our kids! PS PLANTMAN I Still am haunted by that bear suit picture of you on your  Facebook page! 

I say we give it a shot... try the new uniforms... as long as we dont start seeing injuries from hands getting caught, or ppl grabbing the uniform... we need to do whatever it takes to grow and develop the sport.  Although I think its going to take more than a yr or two for us to see the change in numbers.

• Upvote 1

Great topic gameface.  There is no down side to giving teams an option to where the two piece uniform. Get the kids in the room.  Most big kids struggle with confidence which is the perfect reason to get them in the sport.  The uniform two pieces is still form-fitting it keeps everything inside the shirt. The incease in injury because of the uniform is just a joke. I have never been in a wrestling practice where kids wore just singlets. If this was a real issue it would be required just as it is for football players to be in full pads to have full contact.  If a team has singlets and have the same design for two piece there is no problem. You are just making up rules to fit arguments when I was at Union county I had kids wearing two different singlets that were different colors and had no issues but now every one must match what a joke.  I hope this passes and Ky kids some more kids out. I would love to see the state close the gap on the other states

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, plantmanky1 said:

One of the discussion points on this issue in the spring was "where is the high school going with this".  I believe two states currently allow for shorts and t shirts.  (California and Arizona, maybe, somebody correct me on that please)  I knows as far as the KHSAA Wrestling Advisory Committee it wasn't a topic for discussion.  

California might have adopted this, but I think the two major states is Wisconsin and Arizona.  I do remember last year track had a survey sent to us coaches regarding uniform change.  Basically contemplating the same thing for the NFHS.  I believe only 3700 or so did the survey out of the 10,000+ sent out.  Of those I am pretty sure 75% were for the change for HS level students.  Everyone has the same statement in mind, this will help grow and expand the sport.  Nothing has come of it as of yet for the NFHS, but I would expect the conversation to be brought up many more times over the next few years.  Nothing wrong with getting a head start on the switch now, because it's bound to happen.

Good article from April 2016 about the survey and the changes.

http://www.flowrestling.org/article/40808-multiple-states-considering-shorts-shirt-uniform-change 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Coach Wagers said:

California might have adopted this, but I think the two major states is Wisconsin and Arizona.  I do remember last year track had a survey sent to us coaches regarding uniform change.  Basically contemplating the same thing for the NFHS.  I believe only 3700 or so did the survey out of the 10,000+ sent out.  Of those I am pretty sure 75% were for the change for HS level students.  Everyone has the same statement in mind, this will help grow and expand the sport.  Nothing has come of it as of yet for the NFHS, but I would expect the conversation to be brought up many more times over the next few years.  Nothing wrong with getting a head start on the switch now, because it's bound to happen.

Good article from April 2016 about the survey and the changes.

http://www.flowrestling.org/article/40808-multiple-states-considering-shorts-shirt-uniform-change 

I think we're all hopeful that the KHSAA looks at several changes to make the high school wrestling better, but regardless what the KHSAA does should not reflect on our decision to make KSWA and our Youth Organization better. Add more kids, evolve and close the gap  with other states. Let's be the leader and not wait a year or 2 and follow other states!

20 hours ago, gameface said:

I think we're all hopeful that the KHSAA looks at several changes to make the high school wrestling better, but regardless what the KHSAA does should not reflect on our decision to make KSWA and our Youth Organization better. Add more kids, evolve and close the gap  with other states. Let's be the leader and not wait a year or 2 and follow other states!

I agree 100% with that. We shouldn't let the KHSAA hold back or even slow down the progress of ms and youth wrestling. As has become very clear they are not very concerned with the growth and success of our sport. 

14 minutes ago, Ranger123 said:

I agree 100% with that. We shouldn't let the KHSAA hold back or even slow down the progress of ms and youth wrestling. As has become very clear they are not very concerned with the growth and success of our sport. 

I couldn't agree with you more Ranger. It certainly was apparent when we were forced to move youth state and their response to us on that subject. My biggest concern now is the votes of people that don't care. From an objective point, there is no reason that has been brought up for anyone to vote against this. It's another tool we have to get more kids on the mats hopefully. Something we haven't even brought up on here is the increasingly number of girls wrestling in Kentucky youth and MS. We obviously allow these wrestlers the ability to wear a compression shirt under their singlets for privacy, (no brainer right?!)The singlet bottom is no different than a pair of compression shorts! So there's our modified uniform that we've allowed to be worn in every event MS and youth had last year. I'm just pointing out the obvious, that there's no reason we shouldn't see these uniforms on the mat this year!

Kentucky has been chosen by the KFHSA to be the beta test state for FIGHT SHORTS AND COMPRESSION SHIRTS!! Just received the information today on this. Seems like the path that some of us were trying to take the Middle School and Youth uniform program is what the rest of the states are headed toward. Why is it that a select few "Na Sayers" and part time coaches can't be part of the solution when these ideas are proposed. We could have actually had these ordered and aligned with Middle School in Ohio and now the KHSAA!! 

• Upvote 1

Since the alternate uniform is now being allowed by the khsaa rules would that now make the alternate uniform (more specifically the wrestling style shorts) now a legal option at the MS level, and something that would no longer need to be addressed by a bylaw??

Very interesting. Coach Seeney that is a good question. I believe the spirit of the ms bylaws are to outline where we DEVIATE from the standard HS regulations (eg 5 match rule, 45 minute rest period, weight classes). So as a general rule when HS adopts a change in regulations (eg rules interpretations, points of emphasis) the MS follows suit without bylaw changes. 

I'm just average joe coach at this point so I in no way speak for the board. We will all have to way on their interpretation of this change from KHSAA. 

I believe the style of the "fight shorts" are board shorts from what I read. Now we can have some additional specs to go off of when working with uniform companies. 

1 hour ago, Ranger123 said:

Very interesting. Coach Seeney that is a good question. I believe the spirit of the ms bylaws are to outline where we DEVIATE from the standard HS regulations (eg 5 match rule, 45 minute rest period, weight classes). So as a general rule when HS adopts a change in regulations (eg rules interpretations, points of emphasis) the MS follows suit without bylaw changes. 

I'm just average joe coach at this point so I in no way speak for the board. We will all have to way on their interpretation of this change from KHSAA. 

That would be my thought as well.  To not allow the alternate uniform at this point in time would seem (at least to me) pointless as it will be allowed in HS this season.  Especially considering one of the arguments against the shorts was the fact that the KHSAA wasn't allowing it.  There's no real benefit in not following along....after all, it's just another option, not a requirement.  

2 minutes ago, gameface said:

I believe the style of the "fight shorts" are board shorts from what I read. Now we can have some additional specs to go off of when working with uniform companies. 

The rule is written very clearly as to what type of shorts are available.  Had that level of specifics been presented, I'm willing to bet this would have passed at the fall KSWA meeting.

For those that have sourced board shorts/compression shirts, what are the prices that you are paying for the combination??  My source that i use for singlets (I'm limited because anyone I buy from must be a School Board Approved Vendor) is giving me a cost of just under $100/set, roughly double what I pay for singlets.  I'm already working on providing at least a few of the fight short/compression shirt for next season in anticipation of the rule being officially changed for 2017/2018.  

17 hours ago, rjs4470 said:

The rule is written very clearly as to what type of shorts are available.  Had that level of specifics been presented, I'm willing to bet this would have passed at the fall KSWA meeting.

For those that have sourced board shorts/compression shirts, what are the prices that you are paying for the combination??  My source that i use for singlets (I'm limited because anyone I buy from must be a School Board Approved Vendor) is giving me a cost of just under $100/set, roughly double what I pay for singlets.  I'm already working on providing at least a few of the fight short/compression shirt for next season in anticipation of the rule being officially changed for 2017/2018.  

See if you can make Barbarian Apparel a vendor...... Josh does great work with team designs and logos, products are really good, and he's easy to work with.  I have used him many times.  I believe for $100 you can get shorts/shirts/ and singlets.... shorts/shirts are like $60

http://barbarianapparel.com/team-packages/

9 hours ago, tcats said:

So just for clarification  are alternate uniforms acceptable in middle school?

Yes you can wear as of right now the 2 of singlets. Compression shorts and compression shirt tucked in. Team name and logo/ colors are aloud just like singlet. I haven't heard if MS is going to immediately change now that the KHSAA adopted the new board shorts.