Sign in to follow this  
Nike Man

Alex Marinelli vs Mark Hall

In case anyone didn't know, Alex Marinelli (committed to Iowa) and Mark Hall (comitted to Penn State) are going to meet on the mat this weekend. These guys are ranked #1(Hall) and #2  (Marinelli) in the country. As if that wasn't enough, this is also a possible future B1G 10 match up for years to come. Should be a great match. Being a Hawkeye fan, I will be pulling for Marinelli, but with Mark's brief history in KY, I will be ok with whoever wins. I'm just really looking forward to the match. Anyone else have any thoughts or predictions?

I'm pulling for Hall even though I'm traditionally and Iowa fan as well, the KY connection is too strong.  Hall also seems to be a grounded young man despite his success.  He's certainly earned everything he's won and deserves all the praise he receives.  I'll also predict a major, without knowing anything about the other wrestler, simply because Hall is so good.  He majored Valencia last year in their rematch!

On a side not, I am proud of my state that Hall wasn't able to win a title here, although he beat Bradbury earlier in the season in another tough match.  It just feels fake when middle school kids come to KY just to be able to compete in high school.  I know that we're not as good as some surrounding states or even close but it makes me feel like a "jv state."  I don't mean to hijack the thread for a side conversation but anytime someone brings up Hall people are going to think about this issue.  I'm also proud that KY will always have a part in his story, especially since he's a good kid.

I know it sounds like I'm contradicting myself being proud of both Hall and KY/Bradbury, but in my mind I'm not.

• Upvote 1

I have wondered this as well. How are they touting him as the first six time state champion but he was a 7th grader in Ky? Did he repeat 7th grade? And if so how does that not make the kid academically ineligible?

Held back twice!! !one of the great mysteries of the wrestling world .

Like who killed jfk Where was Obama Born,.Area 51 ,who shot JR,Are THOSE Real :),who built the pyramids ,where is Atlantis ,How Big were the Nature Boys Guns ,hahahaahab

Used to see them both quite a bit Marrinelli a product of Graham and their home school open enrollment anything goes multi practice world wide partner Awesome system ,Hall the product of a super obsessive loving parent who would go to no ends and by that I mean no ends of the earth and every style to see his boy achieve greatness , Gotta love both back stories .I'm a believer in the biggest arsenal wins Hall learning from everywhere and being a top gun for soo long you would think has a big edge .But I'm also a believer in drilling over and over so Marrinelli should have his style and system down .

Hall has went to the farthest extreme sacrificing the most I have always seen multi X Olympic gold when thinking of him I think he takes it .

2 hours ago, 385 said:

I have wondered this as well. How are they touting him as the first six time state champion but he was a 7th grader in Ky? Did he repeat 7th grade? And if so how does that not make the kid academically ineligible?

He was here as a 7th grader, dad wanted him to be a 6timer, so held him back and did 7th grade again when they moved to Minnesota.  I believe if he would have won here that year he was going to stay another year at least prior to moving again.  But since he lost, and his dad was set they decided to move to Minnesota.  I'm pretty sure he is not 19 yet, or just turned 19 after the deadline of ineligibility.  They both still support the Ryle program as Mark has posted many pictures to his Instagram wearing his Ryle gear, and if you watch his state finals match when he goes up to hug his dad, his dad is actually wearing his Ryle Wrestling Polo.  Coach Ruschell still speaks to Mr. Hall quite often.

Hall is extremely hard to score on, he can scramble with the best of them.  That is showcased by his matches with Valencia last year.  However Marrinelli is Jordan trained, and he won 4 OH state titles and Ironman titles for a reason.  Dude doesn't come out of position, talented, strong, and a gas tank to boot.  I predict Hall will win (again) but I don't know if it will be by major or tech like some have predicted.  They wrestled 2 years ago and Hall won 5-3 and Marrinelli was close to scoring a couple times in the third to tie it up.  Match link below

http://www.flowrestling.org/video/935513-171-lbs-mark-hall-mn-vs-alex-marinelli-oh

This is a highly anticipated match, 2 of the best pound for pound in the country, only to know they will face each other for many more years to come with both of them in the B10 makes it even better.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Coach Wagers said:

He was here as a 7th grader, dad wanted him to be a 6timer, so held him back and did 7th grade again when they moved to Minnesota.  I believe if he would have won here that year he was going to stay another year at least prior to moving again.  But since he lost, and his dad was set they decided to move to Minnesota.  I'm pretty sure he is not 19 yet, or just turned 19 after the deadline of ineligibility.  They both still support the Ryle program as Mark has posted many pictures to his Instagram wearing his Ryle gear, and if you watch his state finals match when he goes up to hug his dad, his dad is actually wearing his Ryle Wrestling Polo.  Coach Ruschell still speaks to Mr. Hall quite often.

Hall is extremely hard to score on, he can scramble with the best of them.  That is showcased by his matches with Valencia last year.  However Marrinelli is Jordan trained, and he won 4 OH state titles and Ironman titles for a reason.  Dude doesn't come out of position, talented, strong, and a gas tank to boot.  I predict Hall will win (again) but I don't know if it will be by major or tech like some have predicted.  They wrestled 2 years ago and Hall won 5-3 and Marrinelli was close to scoring a couple times in the third to tie it up.  Match link below

http://www.flowrestling.org/video/935513-171-lbs-mark-hall-mn-vs-alex-marinelli-oh

This is a highly anticipated match, 2 of the best pound for pound in the country, only to know they will face each other for many more years to come with both of them in the B10 makes it even better.

Ok so the kid is held back by his father to repeat 7th grade, and somehow that doesn't make him academically ineligible? I guess the only way to see that is that choosing to be held back is not, in the eyes of the Minnesota athletics association, not the same as failing academically. It doesn't make any sense to me. 

5 minutes ago, 385 said:

Ok so the kid is held back by his father to repeat 7th grade, and somehow that doesn't make him academically ineligible? I guess the only way to see that is that choosing to be held back is not, in the eyes of the Minnesota athletics association, not the same as failing academically. It doesn't make any sense to me. 

Not that I agree with it, but I believe it is left up to the parents as long as it is prior to high school.  Once you start high school your 4 year clock starts.  Parents discretion.  You see it a lot in other states also, heck in Ohio there is always a topic of discussion of the "red shirt" year for incoming high schoolers.  And since he competed in a different state, he was able to move and start his "career" over again.

There are always ways for people to find those gray areas inside the rules, happens all over, we have seen it here in Kentucky as well.

It's left up to the parent to hold a kid back it's not like in High School where if you fail you are ineligible ,when you are in grade school or middle school .

In Ohio most kids who are held back are simply home schooled and although they pass are held back .There are no gray areas ?Now if you are home schooled in High School and live out of district from the school you are wrestling for in High School that's some crazy stuff !! Train a few X a day do a little computer work show up to school for practice ,that's a nice set up .

If you are smart in Ohio or most states and you think your kid might become a decent wrestler maybe win a couple state titles and go on to wrestle in college you do not hold them back in 7th you hold them back in sixth and go from there so you do not lose any eligibility as far as state championships go .

Or you could just home school till High school and live that spartan lifestyle like some Ohio greats do .

All kinds of different approaches to take regardless just stay on the mat as much as possible and train outside the norm if the sport is your goal .Hall is a good kid Marinelli as well .

Never met either in person but they both seem like great kids in their videos. It's just a bit frustrating to me because I can't even get a dang home schooled 8th grader that lives in Doss High School's district to be able to wrestle for Doss, but there are kids wrestling 7 years lol. It's not like the kid is trying to stack the odds for trinity or something. Just a decent middle school wrestler trying to get as much mat time as possible. Sorry to complain on this thread. Marinelli is sick but but Hall is other worldly. I think hall wins big. 

I saw Marrinelli a lot at Jordans he's a good kid  but my boys traveled a bit with Mark and his dad and I spent time with them outside wrestling The best to both .Could be who's on who's off but Mark has taken it to a higher level I believe ,

1 hour ago, southern145 said:

Heard Kentucky's academic standards weren't up to Minnesota's

What is your point in posting that?

He repeated for academics lol he  repeated for sports of course had nothing to do with academics he is from Michigan not KY or Minnesota Minnesota let's Jr High kids wrestle and he went to a better team in Minnesota the. He was on in KY not worried about winning state in KY as an 8th grader he knew he could ,Apple Valley nationally ranked .

HE  SPLADLED THE #2 KID IN THE COUNTRY after the first period he just flipped that switch and said watch this..

On 3/12/2016 at 3:34 AM, 385 said:

Anyone got a link for video?

http://www.flowrestling.org/video/936004-170-lbs-final-mark-hall-mn-vs-alex-marinelli-usa

I am eating crow for breakfast.  Others called a tech/major, I said it would be a close match, Hall dominated him.  Mark is great, on another level.  I never doubted his level of skill, I over estimated Marrinelli's.  Marrinelli had 3 DEEP shots, couldn't score off of any.  Hall's composure, and ability to stay calm is unbelievable.  Going into the third period it was super tight, 3 period started, and so did the scrambles, as well as Hall's points.....  Marrinelli made a mistake, and Hall took complete advantage of it. 

• Upvote 1