Sign in to follow this  
NatureBoy

AND THE SPIRIT AWARD GOES TOO ...

WOODFORD County , a lot of schools with pride and love cheering on their kids year in and out at state ,Union Oldham And everyone else but let's face it Woodford has it their whole team and fans come to win and cheer on their kids .From the Chants to the blonde hair .

Very impressive they should take their act on the road wherever Team KY goes and bring that to the rest of the Country 

And their team is decent too lol

• Upvote 1

Yes. He essentially started the match down 4-0 before putting on an absolute takedown clinic. But it was just scary, I had a good view of his face from where I was sitting. He was unconscious for maybe 5-6 seconds before they even pulled Nevels off of his throat. 

Joey is a warrior. There was no doubt that he was going to continue and ultimately put on a clinic. Like Woodford or not, their kids are warriors and their coaches and fans are extremely passionate! Hail Woodford!

• Upvote 1

Lol like I said I would like to throw rocks at Em at times but that is the way they show love for their own .everyone boos bad calls or questionable ones that effect their guy .I have seen trinity fans "Women " Curse at young kids on the mat from the stands it's not like Woodford is Evil or doing things other fans do not they just do it as a group .

HATS OF TO THEM .ONE OF MY FIRST EXPERIENCES AT KY STATE WAS A MOM CURSING ME IN THE STANDS,A Woodford mom ,of course I was mad but later came to like her son it's all good I have no bitterness to someone showing their love of child team or sport .

GROW UP AND GROW SOME THICK SKIN AND GUESS WHAT.State is over move on to the next challenge .

Like who is going to rep KY in the off season at Nat or freestyle greco Fargo prove who you are and what your worth is on the mat .maybe those boos can get turned into cheers .

NATURE BOY SAYS WHOOOOO

WETHER YOU LIKE IT OR NOT THE BEST IS THE BEST AND WHO EVER PROVES IT THE MOST WILL go down as the best.

Angel a true champ knew he proved it and more often than most thus he handled it like a true champ .just like the other kid I was talking about did only he kicked more and bigger but at nat a few months later while not so tough pretender champs stayed home .

Let the fans or teammates or in some cases brothers settle the score that day and settle your own scores next go around.

5 hours ago, 385 said:

Yes. He essentially started the match down 4-0 before putting on an absolute takedown clinic. But it was just scary, I had a good view of his face from where I was sitting. He was unconscious for maybe 5-6 seconds before they even pulled Nevels off of his throat. 

I did not see what exactly happened even though it was on the mat right on front of me. People around me were saying he was choked out. Others said he tapped. Either or, if he was unconscious at all - he should not have been permitted to continue. I did not see any penalty points awarded and therefore The Wayne County wrestler should have been awarded the victory as a medical default.

• Upvote 1

Whoa if it's the match I saw the kid layed out for a bit I didn't see what happened BUT if he was choked out that's a potential dangerous had he not continued he would have been awarded the W if it's the match I'm thinking off the kid who was out won anyway so it all worked out !!

As much as I like mma and pro wrestling in HS wrestling if you choke the guy out you do not win !!!

1 hour ago, tiltfor3 said:

I did not see what exactly happened even though it was on the mat right on front of me. People around me were saying he was choked out. Others said he tapped. Either or, if he was unconscious at all - he should not have been permitted to continue. I did not see any penalty points awarded and therefore The Wayne County wrestler should have been awarded the victory as a medical default.

He was choked out and it looked like he was thoroughly checked out by the on site athletic trainer. From my view they brought over plenty of officials to discuss what happened and even talked with the trainer.

If the Woodford athlete was not able to still compete from the choke, the Wayne Co athlete should have been DQ'ed and the Woodford wrestler should have been awarded the win. Someone correct me if I am wrong on this. 

He was completely unconscious and on his back, for what I want to say was close to 20 seconds or so before he started moving again. The ref did not call whatever hold was being applied illegal, and since Joey was on his back when the match was stopped (him being turned right over with absolutely no resistance at all is what alerted myself and the friend I was sitting with) the referee after what seemed like 6 or 7 minutes of deliberation and arguing with coaches and checking back with the trainers several times awarded Nevels 4 points total (I'm assuming two takedown and two back points) and Joey resumed the match in the down position. I believe before the first period was over Joey was winning the match 12-6

According to the rules if a wrestler is unconsious he may NOT continue.  He may not resume wrestling until a doctor releases him to compete again.  If he was unconcious then he should not have completed the match.  Regarless of what the athletic trainer says.  As Nature Boy said those are the rules.  

8 hours ago, grappler-of-old said:

According to the rules if a wrestler is unconsious he may NOT continue.  He may not resume wrestling until a doctor releases him to compete again.  If he was unconcious then he should not have completed the match.  Regarless of what the athletic trainer says.  As Nature Boy said those are the rules.  

Yep.  This happened to one of my wrestlers last year at Middle School state (ironically against a Woodford County kid)...except the ref never saw my wrestler pass out (despite my yelling).  Wrestler ends up on his back and gets pinned.  Match over, no recourse.  Ultimately he was cleared to wrestle but couldn't finish his next match. 

a number of refs all season even at the state tournament rarely get into position to call a pin let alone see if a kid is choked out. not sure if its laziness, or health issues that they can't get into position? 

• Upvote 1

Seen some awfully quick pins get shorted a few seconds because of an out of position. Or shape ref ,But hey someone's got to do it so let's not hate on Em to bad for being out of shape ,As for kids getting hurt ,You have to watch it .As for Roberts had he been declared unconscious and taken out his tournament would have ended ,As a kid with an obvious warrior spirit and nature I'm sure he's glad he got to continue even with getting choked out , 

Now if it's the match I saw ,And this is just me personally and this is what I saw and it Pi $$+d me off quite a bit .

The opponent of the kid was pacing around and very close to the kid who was down and not in a concerned look he was fired up pacing tensely like he was ready to go make no mistake had I been the father of the kid down I would have been on the mat and if some kid who had hurt mine or choked him out been pacing around like he was a tough guy like that kid WAS he would have had a bad day no matter his age or his daddy or coach it would have been on he deserved the but whipping he got .

I saw one of the people on the floor tell him to get in his corner of course people will say he was concerned or make excuses but I know the difference in have seen the blood lust look and had it kids need to know if someone gets hurt you go to your own corner and stay .it really made me mad .Glad the kid came back and won even though I understand getting all wound up kid still should have stayed in his corner .

21 hours ago, 385 said:

Wait a minute.  Roberts was knocked unconscious during a match and was allowed to continue?

1 hour ago, purpleandgold said:

Wait a minute.  Roberts was knocked unconscious during a match and was allowed to continue?

Not "knocked" unconscious but "choked" unconscious. 100% limp and purple in the face. I was in the stands. Don't shoot the messager. 

My guess is that it was determined that although choked, he did not lose consciousness. However, he was out.....

Is this correctable? How may points did Roberts score in that round for a major? OC was behind WC by 10.

I'm getting confused here :I know easy thing to happen right "

Are people mad he Continued?Are they mad at refs for letting him because of potential danger ,I'm betting some are mad he won ,Not sure about it all but in this. Case it all worked out ,If the choke out was due to an illegal hold points should have been awarded or someone dqued. And maybe ref should have been on top of it a bit quicker takes a few seconds to get choked out it isn't instantaneous .

If a rule was broken and is correctable, it should be corrected.

I don't think anyone is mad except Danny Upchurch. That also leads me to believe that the Woodford kid was not unconscious. Upchurch knows his stuff and was totally in control while they were tending the injured wrestler. The WC coaching staff, not so much. But, I think they may have been more upset that there wasn't a penalty.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

roberts would beat nevells 10 out of 10 times. 8 of them majors.  the wayne kid was over matched and tried to choke out Joey. It should've been a penalty point and possible DQ.  none of it matters tho bc refs let them continue and nevells got worked like a team of mules for the next 5 mins by a guy who was out cold just a few minutes prior.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1