Sign in to follow this  
DupontPride

Watching State

Well I left Lexington under the assumption that finals would be streamed as usual. Nice to know they decided that the added parking revenue wasn't enough to cover the cost of streaming the event too late for it to matter

Can't imagine a scenario in which the khsaa agreed to them charging for parking this year without benefitting in some way.

Can we just take the tournament back to Frankfort for God's sake?

• Upvote 2

What a bummer!  I moved away, but it was still nice to get to see the kids I used to coach wrestle.  You think they could at least periscope it.   

Don't forget the three hour break...to get an extra ten bucks for the "medal round". NO FACE OFF, BOOOOOOOO! It seems like the movie Major League, with the owner that is generating a terrible cast of characters on her team, only to lose so much, she can move the team to somewhere else. I'm not sure how someone could try this hard to be obtuse. Where did this medal round and finals round thing/idea come from? 

• Upvote 2

Don't know Barren or Tacket.

But yeah if a ref needs to be noticed or needs a rise he should go to da strip club .it's not about you fellas it's about the wrestlers .Man I'm glad you said it.

Not so up on Indiana and their procedures for state when the second best kid in the state can be setting at home in multiple classes while others are wrestling at state ,I would rather have time and tournament issues and see the best kids .

The Indiana wrestling tournament starts out with the sectional. Top 4 advance to regional. Top 4 from regional advance to semistate. Top 4 from semistate advance to state. How do you get the second best kid in the state not advancing? Sectional has a 16 man bracket although most sectionals have fewer that 16 teams. If you get beat in the first round you are done. If you get out of the first round you can still wrestle back to the 3rd and 4th place match.  Sectional is seeded. If you are the second best kid in the state and the best kid in the state is in your sectional you won't be wrestling each other in the first round. So no matter when you meet up in the round of 8, semifinal round or final round both will advance to regional. Top 4 advance out of the regional from an 8 man bracket. Because you came from the same sectional you wont wrestle first round. First round losers are out. If you are both the best and 2nd best in the state you both advance to semistate. Because you came from the same regional you wont see each other at semistate until you both have qualified for state. 

Yes the finals have been available to watch online the last few to several years, it was commentated by Rusty Parks but haven't found this yrs yet and it did it the last few yrs without charging for parking, the state tournament could not be held in Frankfort anymore even though I loved the spotlight there are just too many wrestlers in it now since they have watered down the state tournament by making it a 32 man bracket from 16 at the same time that ky is on the rise in quality. Yes the semi state tournament in Indiana can be a really bad thing at times cause only one kid makes it from semi state. For example Naton Boston only lost one match in his career but didn't make it to state as a freshman in Indiana due to getting 2nd in semi states. You want you watch great great wrestling. Watch the Indiana finals this yr. I can't remember what weight it was off top of my head, one of the 130's it featured the no 1 and no 2 kid in the country with one wrestler having a 187-0 career record I believe it was. A great match

21 minutes ago, top shelf said:

Yes the finals have been available to watch online the last few to several years, it was commentated by Rusty Parks but haven't found this yrs yet and it did it the last few yrs without charging for parking, the state tournament could not be held in Frankfort anymore even though I loved the spotlight there are just too many wrestlers in it now since they have watered down the state tournament by making it a 32 man bracket from 16 at the same time that ky is on the rise in quality. Yes the semi state tournament in Indiana can be a really bad thing at times cause only one kid makes it from semi state. For example Naton Boston only lost one match in his career but didn't make it to state as a freshman in Indiana due to getting 2nd in semi states. You want you watch great great wrestling. Watch the Indiana finals this yr. I can't remember what weight it was off top of my head, one of the 130's it featured the no 1 and no 2 kid in the country with one wrestler having a 187-0 career record I believe it was. A great match

You are wrong about how many kids advance to state from semistate in Indiana. The top 4 kids from each of 4 semistates advance to the state tournament. It has been that way for over 25 years.

Nathan Boston was the State Champion at 103lbs in Indiana as a freshman. His one lose came the next year in the state championship match. 

The problem with Indiana is not being able to wrestle back if you lose first round.  Think about this years situation with Frankrobe's injury. He injury defaulted to take 4th at region. If he decides he is well enough to wrestle at state, the 2nd ranked wrestler in the state could have Frankrone first round and be out of the tournament. What about Erdman this year???? He would have been out first round in Indiana yet managed to wrestle all the way back for 3rd. 

I like the set-up of the Indiana tournament (sectional, regional, semi-state), but like the full wrestlebacks of the KY State Championships.  One year the no.1 and no. 2 in IN met to go to state in the semi-state because one of them lost in their regionals and the draw put them in the blood match.  (Probably has happened more than that.) One sat in the stands and the other was state champion.  Full wrestlebacks throughout their state tournament series would have helped, but those folks know what they are getting when they participate.  You either win or you may get that kind of draw.

• Upvote 1

I like their set-up to except for no full wrestle-backs.  I am a big fan of them seeding their sectional and letting the kids figure out the rest on the mats.   

Lots of bad decisions being made about this tournament. Probably won't change until administration changes. Now is the best time to grow this sport and event. Exposure for the sport is booming due to the internet, streaming video, Flowrestling.