FalconWrestling

State Prediction Game 2016

Not sure who the best coach is ,I'm sure there are plenty of choices ,Spreading the love cannot be wrong and Oldham had a great year seems an obvious choice .

In the future now and again maybe pick a coach that doesn't have a Super Team but goes above and beyond ,Hard to say not sure of criteria .

CHANDLER did extremely well kept his head in the game never broke won a very tough class and did not give up on a dream over the years and had been put on the back burner as far as hype ,behind Reed and probably Portman at the end I  will say this if I'm not mistaken he was at NHSCAs a few yrs back so he has been around and tested the waters outside ky and did not back down or give up ,He could have won OW as far as I'm concerned .

As for Austin ,I do not think anyone actually came for him he came in with a lot of legit cred and backed it up and added to it every year ,You can talk all the crap you want to psyche someone out but when you have someone who backs it up and does even more than your claiming not much you can do .

No one ever out worked Austin maybe his brother or others  at times but all around all aspects I  doubt anyone sees the day anyone in ky does .A smart person or coach would have studied him all his moves and matches were available so plans could have been made to stop him but actually scoring on him is another thing His D was as good or better than his O ,he gave up one td  ever in KY and it was at state duals and he tripped on the mat while circling and his opponent jumped on him and then got pinned .

I expected a big Showdown once between him And Bobby Bryant who had the physical tools to battle him but they never met Bryant was smart he went hvy and won and that's what I would have done if I were a 220 facing Austin After Newberry Austin was never really pushed by anyone in KY  .

3 hours ago, NatureBoy said:

Wow ,Just because your team wins your coach doesn't have to win coach of the year Oldham did work they improved greatly and added to the level of wrestling in the state obviously due in part to their coaches efforts .I think it was spot on .

CONGRATS TO YOUNG BUT NOT A VERY IMPRESSIVE GROUP OF HEAVIES AT ALL .I WOULD  DARE SAY IF YOU TOOK THE TOP EIGHT 220S AND TOP 8 HEAVIES ALL IN ONE CLASS AND THEY WRESTLED YOU WOULD HAVE MORE 220S ON A PODIUM .Congrats to young but with his capabilities he did not live up to his potential or anywhere near it in HS as far as wrestling His finals opponent totally outmatched physically was in the match till he chose down young being big and physical couldn't manage a single shot .I was totally depressed by the whole heavy class.Nice posing at the end but when you come in as a fresh who is expected to be maybe a 4 xer probably best to go out humble with only 1 under your belt and so many losses to underdogs .Don't take it wrong I like young when we talk but dang if he had been my kid he would have had four or more and be a national name guaranteed such potential that was not cultivated .

Chandler wrestled smart and we'll at 220 in what may have  been the best class in the tournament and that's what I said good kids tough comp all hungry .2 undefeateds neither winning .that's as tough as it gets 

With all due respect to you and your opinion, my son excelled in several sports.  While not measuring up to your standards in wrestling he did participate in 3 sports throughout his high school carrier while achieving nearly straight A's in his course work.  (He had three B's in his 12 years of school).  He has been a two time discus state champion and runner up another reason year and could end up with a third totaled this year.  He has one shot put title with a runner up and a forth place another year.  He was an All American football player with a five star rating his senior year.  This earned him a completely paid for 4 year scholarship to a Division one school.  He was offered by nearly every SEC school and several Big 10 schools and could have gone where ever he chose.  He was ranking, in rivals final ranking, third in the nation at offensive tackle in the 2016 class and number 15 in the nation overall in this class.  He was president off the FFA chapter this year as well as active in our local Church.  He strives to do the best at whatever he takes in but he has to spread out his time in many interest.  He achieved all of this not doing any of these sports full time.  If this is a failure to you, I think your idea of success is somewhat flawed.  I suspect he could have had the success you mentioned had he focused on just one sport or activity.  However, he chose to enjoy several and has has a fair level of success with all of his ebdevors.  Even more, he is widely accepted and loved where ever he goes.  I also know his heart belongs to our Lord and savior.  This last point is the point that makes me most proud.  Maybe he did not live up to the billing but I can tell you as his fathe, I could not be more proud of my son than I am right now!  I expect him to only get better as he matures and grows into a man.

• Upvote 5

I would be proud of him as well ,There are a lot of kids who do multiple sports who do not have his tools or capabilities and a lot are spiritual and many loved as well  with good gpas .As I said I enjoy talking to him he seems a great young man and I'm sure he is adept at numerous sports as many would be with his gifts .and I'm not Knocking his win or accomplishment 

I know he is loved and everyone is proud of him as they should be .

BUT This is a wrestling forum ,Not track ,Not Football and not really a forum about ones beliefs or morals although they weigh in.Im talking about what could have been and what was expected .The heavys usually are Football players like Johnson last yr who won 2 .I just think everyone expected more of Young and he could have been a major player in the sport had he chose ,And I know a little about sports other than Wrestling My son competed against a national wrestling champ who now plays Football  for Army was a 3 X state wrestling champion 3 X national champ who competed internationally in track and field .so football and track are not really reasons for not reaching ones potential .To each their own it all depends on what you want and want most .Congrats he was the clear Champ this year .

• Downvote 1

On 2/16/2016 at 7:00 AM, FalconWrestling said:

It's that time of year folks

Now for those of you who haven't played before allow me to introduce you to the roles. 

You are going to pick a winner for each weight class, and when you do you are going to assign them a point value of 1 through 14. The 14 goes to the wrestler you most expect to win where the 1 goes to the win you are least sure about. So if I assigned my 14 to a healthy Tyler Frankrone then I would get 14 points if Frankrone wins, but if Frankrone decides to sit out the tournament I would get 0 points.

We also do a dark horse, I'm going to go off of Ranger's most current rankings but if enough people say we should wait for his predictions then I will change it. The way your dark horse works is you pick someone ranked fairly low in Ranger's rankings that you think will place a lot higher and you get points for the difference. So if I pick someone ranked 17th and they finish 5th I get 12 bonus points. 

Finally we have the tiebreaker which is you pick the team you think will win plus the score you think you will have.

Alright I think that was enough here are my picks

14- Brandon Reed, 220
13- Max Emerson, 182
12- Bryce Sheffer, 126
11- Jackson Oxford, 145
10- Casey Cornett, 170
9- Keegan Duncan, 132
8- Landon Young, 285
7- Logan Erdman, 138
6- Hudson Heidorf, 160
5- Ben Barton, 152
4- Tanner Yenter, 113
3- Adam Bender, 106
2- Daniel Kimble, 195
1- Ryan Moore, 120

Dark Horse- Dylan Grey, 160, 13th

Tiebreaker- Union, 191.5

Total- 78

Dark Horse- 13-5= 8

Final Score- 86

On February 18, 2016 at 9:59 AM, firemans34 said:

120 is a crazy deep weight class too.  If someone possibly knocks off Saul I think they would have to be considered too.

Hmmm.  Clairvoyant?  Dallas did deserve it.  Had to run the gauntlet to get there and then a great match vs Saul.  Well done!

A few deserving ,Bindner,Chandler ,Come to mind for me .Bindner had a great match in finals over a stud .Chandler had a couple matches over some studs with a not so spectacular finals because of seeding in KY he had his big matches throughout .

Ochebein sp Dallas ,Looked spectacular a well oiled machine and it wasn't so much that he beat Saul to me as it was the fact I do not think he doubted he would win and watching the match he never looked like he would it was one of those matches two good kids going at it .It wasn't a match where someone waited for a mistake they both had O.

HE DESERVED THE OW ,ALTHOUGH I THINK IF ERDMAN HAD BEATEN ANGEL OR ANGEL ERDMAN ONE OF THEM WOULD HAVE WON OW Because it gets based on history a bit as well Bindner could not really get it for beating Angel for a couple reasons ,His name was out there so it wasn't quite as much a big upset .Saul is  an Erving and the very name carries weight even though Angel may be a bigger mark to take down win wise .And the million lb elephant in the room Most people wanted to see Bindner lose .

IN ALL HONESTY Bindner could have won it his class was tougher even though I'm not sure who else he knocked off besides Angel not sure who sent Thompson to the boneyard .

AND SPEAKING OF THOMPSON HE NEARLY BEAT ERDMAN AND WAS COMING BACK ON HIM WHEN HE WENT FOR SOMETHING DUMB AND GOT STUCK .ERDMAN WAS FORTUNATE TO GET THE W THERE THAT WAS A GOOD MATCH .

Im assuming you mean Johnson.  Logan controlled the match throughout and never lost the lead. Johnson is a solid wrestler.  Not easy running the table after a huge loss in the first round.

Thought Aj deserved MOW.  Beating Johnson, Oxford (kid is very tough), and Angel.  I don't think it gets any tougher than that.  But you can't argue Dallas getting it.  He beat some tough kids as well.

IF BINDER BEAT THE JOHNSON KID AS WELL I WOULD SAY THAT GAVE HIM A BIT OF A STRONGER CASE FOR OW .I GET KIDs CONFUSED I DID NOT KNOW JOHNSON OR THOMPSON BOTH WERE GOOD WRESTLERS AND I TRIED TO Catch THEM I GOT EM CONFUSED OF COURSE .

I SAW THE MATCH IT WAS NO CAKE WALK AND HE MAY HAVE LED AND MAY HAVE BEEN A BETTER WRESTLER BUT IM PRETTY SURE HE GOT SCORED ON AND MORE THAN ONCE SO HE didn't control the match it was a match not a one way street and the kid was coming back and Logan was losing the superiority he had at times in the match they got in a funky scramble and Logan caught him and stuck him .

True a super job coming back to take third after a first Rd loss awesome job and a great way to end a HS run if not with a title ,But if you say it wasn't close or that he controlled the whole match I would disagree .

If you want the truth I had the feeling that he was gassing and the other kid was taking over the match then the scramble and pin.I think he caught a bad break Rd 1 and a lucky one his last Rd ,Not with the win but with the pin.

Regardless he has always been one of my favorites and I was hoping for him to go out with another title .Hopefully he learns from his trials College is no joke and no place to slack off .

On 2/17/2016 at 2:37 PM, WristControl said:

106: Yost--5

113: Yenter--7

120: Saul--12

126: Sheffer--13

132: Keegan--6

138: Erdman--3

145: Oxford--4

152: Barton--11

160: Max Andreoni--1

170: Cornett--14

182: Emerson--10

195: Emir Bernabe--2

220: Reed--9

285: Young--8

Team: Union 182.5

Dark Horse--Odeh Eqal--Tates Creek ranked 15th

78 points for me.  Got 9 weight classes correct.

He was up by 2 and kicked him in the last few seconds to avoid a reversal. Not saying it was an easy match at all.  My point was he controlled the match and maintained the lead throughout.  No he did not pin him.  Hats off to Trent.  Hes a fine young man and an exceptional wrestler.

23 hours ago, NatureBoy said:

I would be proud of him as well ,There are a lot of kids who do multiple sports who do not have his tools or capabilities and a lot are spiritual and many loved as well  with good gpas .As I said I enjoy talking to him he seems a great young man and I'm sure he is adept at numerous sports as many would be with his gifts .and I'm not Knocking his win or accomplishment 

I know he is loved and everyone is proud of him as they should be .

BUT This is a wrestling forum ,Not track ,Not Football and not really a forum about ones beliefs or morals although they weigh in.Im talking about what could have been and what was expected .The heavys usually are Football players like Johnson last yr who won 2 .I just think everyone expected more of Young and he could have been a major player in the sport had he chose ,And I know a little about sports other than Wrestling My son competed against a national wrestling champ who now plays Football  for Army was a 3 X state wrestling champion 3 X national champ who competed internationally in track and field .so football and track are not really reasons for not reaching ones potential .To each their own it all depends on what you want and want most .Congrats he was the clear Champ this year .

I'm not quite sure what you wanted Landon to accomplish this year.  He reached the ultimate goal in Kentucky wrestling...BEING A STATE CHAMPION.  Also, being the caliber football player he is has been a great asset to his wrestling.  

I'm going to be completely honest and myself ,I like him I have talked to him he is a good kid /young man it seems ,I saw him wrestle as a fresh he had unreal potential , He won state the ultimate goal for some and many .

I have seen national champs without his potential and Multiple x champs without his potential .

IF I WERE HIS COACH /Father /Trainer and in a kid like his case manager ,I would have had him at Nationals all over the country camps and then some Football and track are great and no excuse for not doing more with what he obviously had ,I have seen him lose to kids who he should have completely dominated and even this year keep it close till the third with a kid I doubt could have made finals at 220 .

If I say I would have done more or I expected more I would take it as a compliment and I know there are plenty of coaches out there saying or the king the same thing .I never saw him at Nat duals or anything deserving of someone else like him who needed to be tested and pushed .He could have been the most dominant wrestler in the .....Country under the right people and still did everything he did in football and track .I said country not ky...not sure what bigger compliment I could give a Human Being .

Saw the scramble between Erdman and Johnson in the late 3rd .for some reason I thought he got the pin .Long day ..It was a good match the kid looked in shape and wrestled well .

On February 21, 2016 at 3:06 AM, ukpridewrestler11 said:

How did a union coach not win coach of the year. They dominated. Congrats to Dallas on MOW tho! Huge win. Sheffer was dominant as well, plus Landon Young pretty much abused the heavyweight class to state title. Overall a great tournament but still not a fan of how they ran the finals matches. 

Curious how many times a team has won state and the coach didn't recieve Coach of the Year . Anybody ?