Sign in to follow this  
ccbcdeke

HEADS UP

On the website it says Medal Round and Championship Awards Session and there are 56 matches scheduled starting at 6 pm.  Is it as stated above, or running all medal matches together at each weight?  Short version...no finals mat by itself?

8 hours ago, firemans34 said:

On the website it says Medal Round and Championship Awards Session and there are 56 matches scheduled starting at 6 pm.  Is it as stated above, or running all medal matches together at each weight?  Short version...no finals mat by itself?

3 mats. Run 3/4, 5/6, 7/8 at same time, then final on middle mat. Repeat for each weight

The cynic in me feels this is just another KHSAA money grab while also attempting to get a step closer to taking away the finals mat.  Throw in no re entry parking and they've established an event that dissuades any non family fans to attend.

It is absolutely embarrassing how the KHSAA runs the KY state tournament.  I get it that its not football or basketball, but can the KHSAA do anything else to show that they absolutely hate the sport of wrestling?  They threw away podiums.  They de-valued the excitement of making it to the finals.  They hold the entire event on a dirt floor barn.  All while continually figuring out how to make more and more money year over year.  

I'm embarrassed to bring friends that aren't familiar with the sport to the state finals at the horse park because of these reasons.  I brought a friend from Ohio down 3 years ago.  He had been to Ohio's state finals a few times.  His exact wording upon first entry to the horse park for the finals - "you're kidding, right?".

The KHSAA has to do better.  Point, Period, End Of Story.

• Upvote 2

Cute story ,of course most people from Ohio like to snub their nose at anything Kentucky ,

IT LOOKS LIKE THEY ARE TRYING TO CUT OUT THE TRANSITION TIME FROM THE END OF PLACINGS TO THE BEGINNING OF FINALS MATCHES

It will certainly diminish some of the glory of making it to finals everyone enjoys the build up and watching all the finals in a row .not a good idea at all ,I would be surprised if there is not a podium at state .Ohio does a lot of things differently they have 3 classes only 16 man Brackets ,Parents of state finalists on the floor to watch their kids who are wrestling on a raised platform .

And they win brackets .

It's not about being like other states it's about being better and catering to the fans and wrestlers , ky fans loved the pre finals celebration that got axed Ohio fans thought it was silly I liked it because the kids fans and wrestlers liked it .There are differences ky fans want it to be fun and top notch as they should .get some real medals real brackets real podiums and if the fans want separate finals that's how it should be , if they charge for parking it is what it is welcome to 2016 .

• Downvote 1

Has anyone else put the math to how long the final round will last?  Tell me where I'm wrong:

3rd thru 8th matches....10 minutes

Championship match....10 minutes

Awards ceremony.....5 minutes

Total 25 minutes per weight class X 14 weight classes = 350 minutes.....divided by 60 = 5.8 hours.

Finals end about midnight!!!

21 minutes ago, RYP said:

Has anyone else put the math to how long the final round will last?  Tell me where I'm wrong:

Total 25 minutes per weight class X 14 weight classes = 350 minutes.....divided by 60 = 5.8 hours.

lol your math seems legit...and you know there's gonna be some OT matches going longer than 10 minutes. midinight finish is not out of the question. feel sorry for those upperweights waiting over 5 hours from when "finals" start and their match.

26 minutes ago, RYP said:

I think it will be shorter then that, but still I was figuring around 4.5 hours. Crazy. But I think the problem is, if we complain st this point, they will likely do them all at once. 

It will change up a lot I thought it was neat watching the finals matches and the commentary afterwards that will be impossible if they keep it as is. It was like watching a major event or in all seriousness some pro wrestling only real i liked the commentators and their tidbits of info on certain kids coaches and they did a great job the entrance music was cool as well

• Downvote 1

Something else that may not be well publicized.  Friday and part of Saturday will be wrestled on 8 mats.  4 mats for simi-finals and beyond.

2 hours ago, depperschmidt said:

I assume this will also eliminate the pre-finals face-offs ?

Yeah if you're aren't wrestling the finals as one event consecutively there is no point in a face-off I guess.  

4 hours ago, NatureBoy said:

Cute story ,of course most people from Ohio like to snub their nose at anything Kentucky ,

IT LOOKS LIKE THEY ARE TRYING TO CUT OUT THE TRANSITION TIME FROM THE END OF PLACINGS TO THE BEGINNING OF FINALS MATCHES

It will certainly diminish some of the glory of making it to finals everyone enjoys the build up and watching all the finals in a row .not a good idea at all ,I would be surprised if there is not a podium at state .Ohio does a lot of things differently they have 3 classes only 16 man Brackets ,Parents of state finalists on the floor to watch their kids who are wrestling on a raised platform .

And they win brackets .

It's not about being like other states it's about being better and catering to the fans and wrestlers , ky fans loved the pre finals celebration that got axed Ohio fans thought it was silly I liked it because the kids fans and wrestlers liked it .There are differences ky fans want it to be fun and top notch as they should .get some real medals real brackets real podiums and if the fans want separate finals that's how it should be , if they charge for parking it is what it is welcome to 2016 .

I agree with you here.  I don't think that Ohio is the mecca and KY should strive to be like them, rather that KY should do better.  I too think its ridiculous that they hand out small medals and don't even bother about brackets.  

KY is a poorly ran tournament that capitalizes on making money for the KHSAA.  Each year it changes and there is a new twist or way to cut the experience for the wrestlers/fans and line the pockets of those who stand to profit.

Really makes me miss the days of the dungeon.  What an atmosphere to wrestle in...

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, NatureBoy said:

I don't mind the horse park as far as size and location it's great but if everyone has issues it will be moved sooner or later .

And we've been saying this exact statement for how long now?

I know what a lot of people have been saying ,I meant I think the Horse park is fine except the dirt issue and $ but regardless where it is if the khsaa wants to gold dig they can .Horse park is roomy and modern and says KY to me and while it's not about being like all the other states .I wouldn't line to see it in some cramped school gym setting where if your a college coach your watching a ky state prospect in what looks like exactly what the rest of the country tries to stereotype KY as .

Have fun ,keep it classy though .

I agree KHSAA needs to do things differently. Being a product of Indiana which tournaments are at same locations each year(sectionals, regionals, semi-state, state), we need to secure a permanent home for finals. Also I believe a 32 man bracket is nuts, needs to be a 16 man. Change the format leading to state. Have your districts with 4 advancing, then 4 regional sites where 4 advance, you can add something before districts like Indiana, a 4 tier process. Seeded brackets, first round Friday night, you have to win Friday to continue Saturday, you place 8 remaining wrestlers. If you want do wrestle backs that's fine, In Indiana only the losers in semi's wrestle for 3rd. Finals Saturday evening at 6pm. Done by 9

Info on why we cant secure Rupp or Yum center.....not "they wont do it".