Sign in to follow this  
thomam

Uniform change?

Recently the head coaches received a survey while on trackwrestling asking us if we would favor a uniform change. We were asked if we would rather have fight shorts and a compression shirt. I'm thinking this might pass at the April nfhs meeting. What are everyone's thoughts on a uniform change?

Unfortunately, the singlets keep a lot of kids from participating. Maybe fight shorts and tshirt could be optional. Wrestling brings out the "individual" in these kids. Crazy hair, multicolored, shoes, socks, etc. My son rocked a Johnny Cash tshirt during a face off. We've all seen Benders tiger shirt. I say whatever brings more kids in the better!!!

Do you guys remember back in 06(?) when the two piece singlets came to almost pass in HS? I really think we are headed down that route where it will be a split vote.. I want to purchase a new set of singlets but I really think the fight shorts are where we are heading so I am holding off. My biggest concern is for the shorter upper weights. I have a very hard time telling a kid whose 5'6" 280 to put on a pair of XXL fight shorts that are down to there knees. Where is the happy medium here on this? 

I am for anything to help grow the sport, but I do think they need to have an option on it. I do believe it will draw more kids, but my concerns are going to be the safety portion. If we do go down that route I have a very hard time telling a kid they have to purchase a compression shirt and fight shorts each year. The price of those are going up each year. Not to mention for me to buy them I have to purchase them in August to get them by October. 

If they do make the switch they should have at least one or two transition years where both uniforms are acceptable until every team has the chance to restock their uniforms. It will look completely hideous but otherwise we will be asking teams to get a whole new set of uniforms at the very last second if this passes.

• Upvote 1

If it would bring more kids into the fold then I'm all for it.  I can see a one-year transition where both kinds of uniforms are acceptable.  However I think at any given tournament a team should have to use only one kind of uniform or else everyone will be completely confused, counteracting the growth the sport will have.  If they send their jv team to a different tournament then those kids could wear the singlets.  Are the new uniforms currently acceptable by the NFHS and/or the KHSAA?

I am in favor of whatever grows the sport.  The only issue is getting teams with not as much revenue the money to get new uniforms.  It will have to be a year or two transition process.

I'm 100% in for whatever grows the sport.  I don't have any issues with the fight shorts/compression shirts, however I consider myself a wrestling homer and I loved the singlet while in youth, MS, HS, and College.  Still to this day I would prefer a singlet. 

This is a serious question- How many kids do we think would actually decide to join the sport because of this?  By the numbers, would we gain 10%?  More, less?  I have heard the statement many times, "I'm not wrestling because I don't want to wear that spandex leotard".  But honestly the kids I have heard that from over the years, I don't know if they truly would have participated or even stuck out a season let alone a career of the sport.  It almost seemed like an excuse from kids, knowing that the hard work, and dedication could be too much, or just not a true desire to participate and compete.  I could be wrong, and I understand the self confidence it takes for these young men and women to put on such a revealing outfit during maturity years.  If you ask most kids today that are wrestlers (at least through the programs that I am in and have been around), they are ok with the singlets, and they love getting the custom ones, new team ones, etc....  There are also some kids who don't care either way too, I get that. 

I guess my concern is will it actually better the sport and growth, compared to the costs for each and every team across the country?  And if compression shirt is required, how much different is that compared to a singlet?  It has sleeves, but basically the same material and still just as revealing if you're a bigger guy/girl.  A shirt has the potential to show more body parts compared to a singlet does it not?  Obviously the shorts cover more.

Injury wise, I don't think the injuries would increase by much if they did.  We all wear shorts and shirts to practice in, and from my experiences fingers getting caught are not as high as it would seem.  Typically when that does happen, kids are wearing more than 1 shirt and the shirts are getting bunched up.  There are those exceptions where %'s could be higher like stated above where the shorts are below the knees of kids and I'm sure there are others, but over all from a majority standpoint, to me, injury beliefs shouldn't stop this from happening if this was to pass on the vote. 

I am not against this by any means, I am for either style of clothing, just trying to think from a large perspective on what would it actually accomplish?  IMO I don't think the numbers would increase largely, rather maybe a possible slight increase.  I don't think there would be much difference for the state of KY now compared to how the numbers have grown over the last 10 years and continue to grow.  But like I said I could be totally wrong, as each area across the state/country is different.

• Upvote 1

Go with the fight shorts and shirt....Singlets optional, similar to UFC guys chosing to wear compression shorts vs the fight shorts. I'm old school and like the singlets, but it's crazy the amount of ridicule singlets get from people outside the sport.  Growing wrestling is what everyone wants, so why not?

With all the budget cuts happening in education if this does pass it should be an option ,not a requirement.  Also for teams that can afford to purchase fight shorts and shirts, both should be allowed If the shorts and shirt are similar in color to the team singlets.

I realize there are options for both styles but what would the price difference be between a "normal" singlet and a "normal" double, since that's what this uniform was originally called.

1 minute ago, Zeus said:

I realize there are options for both styles but what would the price difference be between a "normal" singlet and a "normal" double, since that's what this uniform was originally called.

I bought new sublimated singlets this year and gave $47 each.

I also purchased fight short, they were $38. I would estimate a custom compression shirt to be around the same as the shorts, so I would say combined you would be around $70-$80.

I would like the option for both, but the shirt/short combination would be more expensive, atleast at this time. 

2 hours ago, coachteater said:

I bought new sublimated singlets this year and gave $47 each.

I also purchased fight short, they were $38. I would estimate a custom compression shirt to be around the same as the shorts, so I would say combined you would be around $70-$80.

I would like the option for both, but the shirt/short combination would be more expensive, atleast at this time. 

I got high school fight shorts & tops for under $55. High school has a booster for all sports I think it's $50 a head, what ever you purchase has to be for the kids and at the end of the season they keep it. So if it did change I wouldn't have to worry about collecting gear when season is over and my cost would go down. I think the lowest bid on our last singlet purchase for high school was $75 sublimated. This purchase was 3-4years ago and it maybe cheaper now. 

10 hours ago, firemans34 said:

Go with the fight shorts and shirt....Singlets optional, similar to UFC guys chosing to wear compression shorts vs the fight shorts. I'm old school and like the singlets, but it's crazy the amount of ridicule singlets get from people outside the sport.  Growing wrestling is what everyone wants, so why not?

Is there that much ridicule?  Serious question.  Maybe I'm missing it.  This is me, and what I typically see is people who don't know or understand the sport due to exposure; and then the singlet is just a fraction compiled in with this due to the lack of knowledge of the sport. 

Like I said I'm for either way, and not against it (I myself love the fight shorts and have some to wear).  Just having a hard time seeing how the means out weigh the ends and how this would justify growth compared to all the costs.

For those that are stating high costs of sublimated singlets and fight shorts, or gear etc...... 

Barbarian Apparel.  Located in Cincinnati.  Excellent guy.  Custom designs, great material.  He will mock up any type of design you would like.  He has done most of the teams in Cincinnati, a lot of teams throughout Ohio and KY, as well as Team Ohio, college teams, over sea international teams, etc.....  His name is Josh Sasfy, excellent excellent dude.  And his prices are very good especially for custom designs included. 

Sublimated Fight Shorts and shirts combo is like $50-60, Sublimated fight shorts, shirt, and Singlet $100, total warm up gear with bag is like $150 or something.  Large team orders tend to get bigger discounts.  Check him out if you haven't ever heard of him.  I have used him multiple times and highly recommend if you're looking for gear.

www.barbarianapparel.com

• Upvote 2

I’m all for growing the sport, but changing to fight shorts to draw a few new people is just dumb. Here’s what I tell prospective wrestlers. “Yes the uniform is skin tight, and if you were the only person at a tournament wearing it, it would be funny, but there are 300 other guys wearing the same thing  and nobody cares once the matches start.” I mean what’s next, baggy football pants because football players don’t like skin tight pants or shorts for swimmers as the uniform is to revealing? Leave the uniform alone and find other ways to expand the sport: starting more girls programs would be a start. jmtc

• Upvote 2

Changing uniform has happened throughout history in many sports.  Basketball no longer use the short shorts, Volleyball does not have to use the huggers, Baseball: most don't use the stirrups and shin high pants.  

The uniform reflects the times.  I personally don't care if they change or not.  I do however believe it should be an option.  Kind of like how some wear tights. 

On 2/10/2016 at 11:57 AM, crazyotto said:

I think it is a good idea. The kids think the shorts/tees look cool, so why not give it a shot. Can teams sell ad space on these new uniforms (sarc). 

Could you imagine if the Volleyball powers only allowed the "huggies" for their players and did not allow for other uniform options.  

To keep the sport going, and to keep kids participating or at least trying the sport, we have to change with the times.  I don't like it any better than you do but it's what we have to do to win this war.