She Beast

Girls in Youth State having their matches forfeited by other oponent

5 minutes ago, heavy83 said:

The Kwoa spring classic March 5 I'm pretty sure wil have a female division

I was interested in that but I saw were it was being held on a Monday.Wonder why they would have it on a Monday?I looked it up and the kwoa spring classic says March 5 but the all female tournament says March 7.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, rjs4470 said:

Ultimately, as more girls enter the sport, a female division just makes sense.  While the growth at the youth level is a great thing, and contributing to the growth of the sport, very few of these girls are still around past 7th or 8th grade, once they start competing and struggling to hold their own with more mature boys, often ones they used to beat.  Girls should have the opportunity to compete.  Unfortunately, for the vast majority, being forced to compete with boys is only going to keep pushing girls out of the sport as they get older.

I agree with your comments about maturity playing a role at some point in the development of the kids. At the youth level girls and boys seem to be on a equal playing field, in College/ olympics men and women are separated. Has there been any women win championships in the high school ages? I feel that those are the years many girls drop out. maybe this is the age when the split should occur? also,

I wonder why women in college only wrestle freestyle?

1 hour ago, heavy83 said:

The Kwoa spring classic March 5 I'm pretty sure wil have a female division

I was interested in that but I saw were it was being held on a Monday.Wonder why they would have it on a Monday?

2 minutes ago, gpikul said:

Flyer had a typo.  It will be on March 5, 2016 not March 7, 2016.  I will update the flyer and repost it.

Great!....Thanks.

The wrestler She-Beast is talking about is as tough as any of the guys on our team and deserves equal respect. She and my son are training partners and both push each other a lot. As a result we have seen more female wrestlers come out for our youth team. 

I hope as wrestling in Kentucky grows that these girls get the support they deserve. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, depperschmidt said:

I agree with your comments about maturity playing a role at some point in the development of the kids. At the youth level girls and boys seem to be on a equal playing field, in College/ olympics men and women are separated. Has there been any women win championships in the high school ages? I feel that those are the years many girls drop out. maybe this is the age when the split should occur? also,

I wonder why women in college only wrestle freestyle?

Freestyle is a smart move in my opinion. This gets the girls ready for international competition earlier, allowing the U.S. a better shot at winning. Also, because there is a smaller number of females competing, these college athletes have a realistic shot at making an Olympic team while still in college. If they were wrestling folkstyle, that would be much more difficult to accomplish. 

Starting girl's freestyle as a high school sport would open many more doors for girls. Making it a spring sport seems natural since that's when most FS competition occurs. Not would also still allow girls to wrestle folkstyle if they wanted. 

5 hours ago, Dan97 said:

I love that this thread is turning into positive ideas for female wrestling. The Anderson and Woodford coaches have briefly discussed something similar to Team KY. Anderson would be willing to host a female dual meet if we can get neighboring states to put a team together and travel. I foresee the host site rotating from state to state. As word spread more states would get involved. It would be great to see how our girls stacked up against the rest of the country. It would start small but we have to start somewhere.

Please keep us informed on all this . We're from montgomery county & my daughter Lexi is totally down 4 this . 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bearcat said:

The wrestler She-Beast is talking about is as tough as any of the guys on our team and deserves equal respect. She and my son are training partners and both push each other a lot. As a result we have seen more female wrestlers come out for our youth team. 

I hope as wrestling in Kentucky grows that these girls get the support they deserve. 

I can't like this cuz I'm at my limit for the day but anyone anywhere close to our area knows how tough Courtney is . I'm Lexi's mom & I know I'm a little biased when it comes to these girls that I personally know but I feel like they do an amazing job at holding their own with these boys & giving then everything they can handle 

• Upvote 2