She Beast

Girls in Youth State having their matches forfeited by other oponent

Hi,my girl wrestled youth state and had River City forfeit to her twice stating that they couldn't wrestle girls for religious purposes.I was a bit offended by this because my girl has worked hard to get where she is at and dedicates all of her time to this sport therefore I do not understand "religious purposes".Wrestling is now a co ed sport.I know I didn't like being told I couldn't do particular things when I was a kid because I am a girl.My daughters oponent was devistated because he wanted to wrestle and couldn't.My daughter felt so bad for him she apoligized to him for having to forfeit when she was standing next to him on the winners podium.So am I taking this the wrong way?What are some thoughts on this? 

• Upvote 1

Really?? My son wrestles for River City, and I have never seen this. There is a girl that wrestles for us also, so I am a little surprised by this post. All that being said, I am not a coach either. Just a little surprised. Does your daughter wrestle for the Braves? I watched two girls wrestle this weekend and the girl from CARR got beat by another girl from the Braves. Great Match

Yes,black kid with unique first name and  white dad.I was told it was the school but maybe it was the dad.Either way I felt disrespected and did not understand why he would even be in the tournament where there would be girls wrestling since it was against his beliefs. My girl is an Anderson County girl.

• Upvote 1

Must of been Kash. I am sorry for this, but I do not believe it was the Coaches (but I do not speak for them). You are 100% Right tho, This is 2016 and No one should have to deal with something like this. Glad to hear your Girl was on the Podium !!! Awesome!!!!!

• Upvote 1

Thanks for clarification that it was not the team.My husband got into it with the dad because he didn't understand why he would come to state and forfeit against girls.I really felt bad for the poor kid.He was upset.

I worked the table for the bracket where the two girls from Carr and Braves met in the youth championship match and there were also other girls in the two brackets that we had at my table and there were no forfeits to any of the girls, so I suspect this was an isolated incident.  I am not affiliated with River City, but in my experiences with them, the coaches and program are top notch and I doubt they would be advocating a religious position to not wrestle girls, though it is unofficially associated with St. X, which is a catholic high school.  My sense was that this parent specifically may have had religious issues and made that call... But it could also be that he didn't want to risk his son losing to a girl and used religion as an excuse.

Yeah,I didn't think religion was a valid excuse. Anderson County has religion too but the boys know how to treat girls outside of the sport.I just didn't like it.Didn't like it at all!If it was for religious purposes maybe he should take up golf or other non contact sports.I love wrestling and am here to stay.In wrestling no one gives you anything.You get what you earn.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

First time I've heard of this happening in this area, but there was a big story a few years ago about a highly ranked boy forfeiting to a girl for religious reasons in the Iowa State High School tourney.  With the number of girls in the sport increasing, especially at the youth level, you're going to have problems if you refuse to wrestle them. 

That being said, if that's your belief, in this country, you're welcome to it, whether we agree with it or not. 

• Upvote 2

They better get use to it.More and more girls are getting into the sport.I wanted to join wrestling when I was a kid but was told no and then to add insult to injury I was told I could be something they called a Mat Maid that catered to guy wrestlers.

• Upvote 1

I coach the Anderson County girl. She has a highly competitive spirit and works extremely hard. I believe this was disrespectful to not wrestle her. She doesn't want a free win. She wants to compete and earn her wins. I love seeing all these wonderful young ladies get on the mat and compete. It may not happen in my life time but I look forward to the day when we can have a female league. Although I do not understand the religious view I respect others religious beliefs. I agree River City is a top notch program and I'm sure disrespect was not intended. Congratulations to all the young ladies who kicked butt this weekend.

• Upvote 2

Neither you nor your daughter should be offended by this. If it is the wrestler's religious beliefs that he should not wrestle a girl then she should take the forfeit and move on. Whatever their religious beliefs are the family is teaching that child to uphold his beliefs and values even if it means that he loses a match in something that he loves to do. Those beliefs may differ from yours and your families but that is truly no concern of mine or yours. That wrestler puts in his time at practice just as your daughter has. To state that he should take up another sport is rude and I'm sure you wouldn't want anyone to tell your daughter that either. If it was religious beliefs then you should respect them if it was personal issue that the parent had then well it isn't your issue to deal with it is his. 

Obviously by my profile picture my son wrestles for River City and I can absolutely tell you that this is not a club stance. We have a female wrestler and several of our boys have wrestled females all season long.

For the record, I'm a wrestling mom. I tell my son that if/when he does wrestle a girl she is another wrestler on the mat at that point. I'll be the first one to cheer a girl on in a male dominated sport so please do not take my post wrong.  I was a "Mat Maid" in high school and I loved it. There was no catering to the wrestling team. I learned about an amazing sport and learned to keep score for the team. While I didn't have a desire to be on that mat as you did I hate that you had that opportunity taken from you. Congrats to your daughter and good luck to her in the future. 

• Upvote 5

Carrir,I see your point if I knew it was for the reason you stated above but I'm not so sure if it was.I cannot except a forfeit and move on (well, I guess I have no choice) if the dad is sexist against woman in this sport.I have seen that before and that's what I am fighting against .The kid seemed like a nice kid but my daughter was apoligizing to him.Why apologize to him?She didn't hurt his chance.The dad did other than that I'm all about respecting ones religious beliefs.

I hesitate to comment, but Carrir said it pretty well. We were ALWAYS given the choice when I was wrestling from youth all the way up (coach never said "no" or "yes") and I will tell you, only twice do I remember ANY of our guys wrestling a female (realize I was involved with a small, county school program for nearly 20 years). It's nothing personal, believe me. I personally never did because it violated my conscience, my brother ONLY ever wrestled a female once and that was only because he drew her first round of regional tournament his junior year of high school and was ranked #2 in the state at the time. If I ever coach, I plan to have the same policy...it will be up to the wrestler. 

• Upvote 1

The reason why I state that the kid should take up another sport is because I see him having problems in the future with something he truly loves as more and more girls take to the sport.

22 minutes ago, She Beast said:

The reason why I state that the kid should take up another sport is because I see him having problems in the future with something he truly loves as more and more girls take to the sport.

Ultimately, as more girls enter the sport, a female division just makes sense.  While the growth at the youth level is a great thing, and contributing to the growth of the sport, very few of these girls are still around past 7th or 8th grade, once they start competing and struggling to hold their own with more mature boys, often ones they used to beat.  Girls should have the opportunity to compete.  Unfortunately, for the vast majority, being forced to compete with boys is only going to keep pushing girls out of the sport as they get older.

Girls' wrestling WILL be here before too much longer. Tennessee has already adopted it as has California, Texas, Hawaii, and I've been hearing some other states are considering experimenting with it. Personally, I think it is something worth pushing for here in Kentucky. 

2 minutes ago, rjs4470 said:

Ultimately, as more girls enter the sport, a female division just makes sense.  While the growth at the youth level is a great thing, and contributing to the growth of the sport, very few of these girls are still around past 7th or 8th grade, once they start competing and struggling to hold their own with more mature boys, often ones they used to beat.  Girls should have the opportunity to compete.  Unfortunately, for the vast majority, being forced to compete with boys is only going to keep pushing girls out of the sport as they get older.

I see that.My girl is in the 7th. grade but has a natural ability that's hard to beat.Knows that she has to do everything thing she can to train in the off season to stay competitive.Things like Jujitsu,weights,and Carr Academy.All I really expect are team mates and coaches who will practice and train with her,and treat her like one of the team.She has been blessed with that ten folds but sometimes I question that when it comes to competition.

Kentucky has a great opportunity to move to the head of the pack in regards to women's wrestling. Starting a freestyle girl's wrestling league at the youth thru high school levels is a great idea. Two of the most successful women's college programs are located in KY, and at least one of those women has qualified for the Olympic Trials. 

The programs would be small at first but could grow rapidly with the right exposure. 

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, dscicle said:
28 minutes ago, sbfraz said:

Kentucky has a great opportunity to move to the head of the pack in regards to women's wrestling. Starting a freestyle girl's wrestling league at the youth thru high school levels is a great idea. Two of the most successful women's college programs are located in KY, and at least one of those women has qualified for the Olympic Trials. 

The programs would be small at first but could grow rapidly with the right exposure. 

You are correct.My daughter wants to wrestle in a woman's wrestling college program like that of Campbellsville.Seems like the girls stand out pretty well  where they are now though but what do I know.I'M just a wrestling mom that sees a bright future for my kid.

• Upvote 1

I love that this thread is turning into positive ideas for female wrestling. The Anderson and Woodford coaches have briefly discussed something similar to Team KY. Anderson would be willing to host a female dual meet if we can get neighboring states to put a team together and travel. I foresee the host site rotating from state to state. As word spread more states would get involved. It would be great to see how our girls stacked up against the rest of the country. It would start small but we have to start somewhere.

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, She Beast said:

You are correct.My daughter wants to wrestle in a woman's wrestling college program like that of Campbellsville.Seems like the girls stand out pretty well  where they are now though but what do I know.I'M just a wrestling mom that sees a bright future for my kid.

A girl's freestyle league wouldn't necessarily have to conflict with the folkstyle season. It could be a spring or fall sport in KY. This would allow the girls to still compete in folkstyle but gain tremendous experience in freestyle which is what they will need to get scholarships for college. KY is in a great position to lead the charge nationwide. 

• Upvote 1

Dan97 thanks for the time that you and all the coaches put into our teams. I to am hoping this thread can continue  in a positive way. I am the father of said girl and have really enjoyed seeing her blossom with your guidance. 

• Upvote 2