Jedigrappler

Weight classification

2 hours ago, plantmanky1 said:

Ok does anybody else want to see gameface dressed as the kool aid man running around yelling "OH YEAH"

:) 

I'm sure you could borrow a kool aid suit from Adam "AKA" plantmanky1. 

• Upvote 1

Thank you MLee and the rest of the youth association for taking the time to make this for the "kids" whom I see every year leave mostly happy from another fun year of youth state wrestling. I for one have seen our #'s of kids interest in wrestling grow the past three years. It's not always about how great of a wrestler our youth kids are at this age. It's about keeping them around the sport of wrestling and from my Math it's grown every year. Looking forward to seeing everyone this weekend.

To all the wrestlers that really want to do better in this sport. I believe it doesn't matter about weight especially 10% . What they know about wrestling , their willingness to act on it and just never giving up. Will get them farther in wrestling and in life. Except and expect to always be challenged. I have an eighth grader and have just moved here from Illinois , he is chasing the challenge. Having started out wrestling the 140 pound weight class and having beat a top four ranked kid at 152. He probably would have had an easier run at a podium finish at those weight classes. But chose to wrestle at 130 for more competition, seeing that Micah Erwin and Slatko Skulijan had made a similar move at the high school level. Along with all the top ranked wrestlers still wrestling at 130. Win or lose we all have to learn from it or it's worth nothing.

I believe there is more than plenty of competition in the 140lb and 152lb weight class???? Not sure that 130 is tougher than those?? 140 you have Lawrence,Smith,Bodenbender and 152 you have Stevens,Tomerlin,Horschler and Talmon. Not to leave out the #1 ranked kid(Shackelford) that was put out of Regionals by a poor decision from the Officials. Who did your son beat at 152? Not saying your wrong or I'm right, just asking

All The complaining!   Well, I have one....no make that 2.  Hell, I have more than that!  This was my first year going to youth tournaments with my 2 Grandchildren. one in first grade one in second. most were in Ohio. some ran better than others, but both children seemed to be in competitive brackets most of the time. Then came Regionals They were held at Woodhill middle school. There is no way to explain the over crowded tiny Gym. Not only was the maximum occupancy number overfilled by at least a factor of 3 but there was nowhere for the spectators to sit. so crowds of people were standing all around the mats, so people who did get a seat in the stands could not see a match. It was a free for all. The two boys having the same last name were placed in the wrong brackets. Which was great for the older, bigger of the two as he dominated his bracket. The younger, smaller one was crushed. It did not demoralize him, But I have heard his eyes lit up when he was told he would not be facing the same kids at state! Watch em get the two mixed up again. Oh did I mention the bathroom had 2 stalls and 2 Urinals for aprox. 400+ males. I have no info on the female experience.

36 minutes ago, depperschmidt said:

All The complaining!   Well, I have one....no make that 2.  Hell, I have more than that!  This was my first year going to youth tournaments with my 2 Grandchildren. one in first grade one in second. most were in Ohio. some ran better than others, but both children seemed to be in competitive brackets most of the time. Then came Regionals They were held at Woodhill middle school. There is no way to explain the over crowded tiny Gym. Not only was the maximum occupancy number overfilled by at least a factor of 3 but there was nowhere for the spectators to sit. so crowds of people were standing all around the mats, so people who did get a seat in the stands could not see a match. It was a free for all. The two boys having the same last name were placed in the wrong brackets. Which was great for the older, bigger of the two as he dominated his bracket. The younger, smaller one was crushed. It did not demoralize him, But I have heard his eyes lit up when he was told he would not be facing the same kids at state! Watch em get the two mixed up again. Oh did I mention the bathroom had 2 stalls and 2 Urinals for aprox. 400+ males. I have no info on the female experience.

Crowded yes.  Ideal, not really.  However, no one else exactly stepped up and offered to host the tournament.  And despite the lack of space, the event was still finished by 12:30...about 3.5 hours.  Perhaps next year you can offer up your gym, secure mats, volunteers and create brackets for the tourney next year.  All in all for a 1st year organization (with 23 wrestlers) under tough conditions, the tournament went pretty well.  Not perfect, but not even close to a disaster. 

Taylor Mill, KY wasn't even on the youth wrestling map 5 years ago.  Now there is a solid, stable middle school program (that hosts two tourney's every year in the tiny gym) and a growing youth program.  And by the way, the name of the school is Woodland Middle School.

Please, though, continue to complain and bash the folks that busted their tail so your grandchildren could have a place to wrestle on Sunday if it makes you feel better.

• Downvote 1

I suppose you failed to recognize the veiled humor in my post. And I was not really even complaining about the mix up in weights/ages. I realize everyone made the best with the situation that was presented to them. However, in the future, the maximum occupancy number of a structure is posted by the Fire Marshal and is for the purpose of every ones safety it is derived by the number of exits, size, type of fire suppression system, etc. The powers that be who were responsible for the safety of not only the spectators but the children as well should have stopped selling tickets when that number was surpassed.

15 minutes ago, depperschmidt said:

I suppose you failed to recognize the veiled humor in my post. And I was not really even complaining about the mix up in weights/ages. I realize everyone made the best with the situation that was presented to them. However, in the future, the maximum occupancy number of a structure is posted by the Fire Marshal and is for the purpose of every ones safety it is derived by the number of exits, size , etc. The powers that be who were responsible for the safety of not only the spectators but the children as well should have stopped selling tickets when that number was surpassed.

I am told the Official has power over ALL................... So, you want to blame someone, go look the officials up  LOL!!!!!!!!!!!! I have to stop getting on here

2 minutes ago, RamMan said:

I am told the Official has power over ALL................... So, you want to blame someone, go look the officials up  LOL!!!!!!!!!!!! I have to stop getting on here

Beverly Hills

1 hour ago, RamMan said:

I believe there is more than plenty of competition in the 140lb and 152lb weight class???? Not sure that 130 is tougher than those?? 140 you have Lawrence,Smith,Bodenbender and 152 you have Stevens,Tomerlin,Horschler and Talmon. Not to leave out the #1 ranked kid(Shackelford) that was put out of Regionals by a poor decision from the Officials. Who did your son beat at 152? Not saying your wrong or I'm right, just asking

The same one your son beat. Question would Bodenbender beat Duke both from Ryle? Smith just got on the charts at 130.

6 minutes ago, tntsen said:

The same one your son beat. Question would Bodenbender beat Duke both from Ryle? Smith just got on the charts at 130.

Are you talking about Horschler?

On February 5, 2016 at 2:51 PM, tntsen said:

Duke and Bodenbender are workout partners and both have their successes with a State Championship and a Runner Up this year in different  weight classes. I like to think they both benefit each other and would not be the same wrestlers if not for the beatings they give each other every night.  

20 minutes ago, gameface said:

Duke and Bodenbender are workout partners and both have their successes with a State Championship and a Runner Up this year in different  weight classes. I like to think they both benefit each other and would not be the same wrestlers if not for the beatings they give each other every night.  

Absolutely!  Bodenbender is a tough kid. Duke and him partners is only going to help both of em make noise at High School level.

I am a new Dad to wrestling.  We didn't have the sport where I grew up.  My son is wrestling this year.  We wrestled Youth State and he won one match.  I am proud of him for putting in all of the practice.  I am there every night at practice trying to learn all that I can to help him at home.  I see a lot of the coaches and parents living through their child, if you will.  Put faith in the people that know their job.  God knows I couldn't do have of what I see the coaches and administrators doing. Long story short; Don't cry about structure if you have none yourself!!

Thank you to Twenhofel and Sky coaches for letting us join you!  It has been a joy!

• Upvote 1