tekejew

Region 1

As I understand it, there are no stipulations on what kids you coach...just that you have a USA card to coach. I can't imagine that coaches would not step up and make sure a kid had someone in their corner under these conditions. 

• Upvote 1

A kid that shows up from a school team can compete and if they were injured they would be covered under the USA wrestling card for insurance. Schools want the least amount of liability as possible because everyone sues for everything. If I were running the tournament  I would help coach that kid since I went through everything to be a certified  coach and yes I would probably let a parent sit with me if they wanted. I coached a kid 2 years ago that was on a school team and his coach wasn't allowed to be there. Luckily they never wrestled one of my kids but if they had j would have grabbed another coach that was certified to help him.

2 hours ago, ALLamerican said:

Can a kid wrestle without a coach in his corner? 

Lets say it's just one kid on the team that made it to regions can any coach with a USA card sit in his corner?

could it be a coach from another school?

I'm sure that was what jbrown was eluding to. Not that a parent would be allowed in the corner to coach. I have seen this happen at several tournaments where a coach from another team had stepped in and assisted where there was a need. That doesn't make it any easier on the wrestler though. They are used to hearing their own coaches voice and it is hard enough to hear with the head gear anyway. 

Edited by CoachAG
Typo

14 hours ago, REscalera said:

Just in case anyone can't recall, this is what we had to travel to Danville in last year.  

http://fox41blogs.typepad.com/wdrb_weather/2015/01/heavy-snow-blankets-much-of-kentucky.html

Not that I want to keep adding to the bad feelings here, but...we drove to Danville last year had to wait through the delays, showed up on time and then left prior to the event starting. My son did not make top 4 last year he was 5th in his weight class. There was an opening in the bracket because someone did not show up. My son did not get the spot because Danville called up a local family that had not bothered to show up for weigh-ins and gave the spot to them. This held up the tournament even longer. My son didn't complain once. I am posting this to let you all know life isn't always fair and there isn't much point in complaining about it. We can't make the weather better, we can just make the best of it.

REscalera is trying to remind you all that it was just as bad last year.

1 hour ago, CoachAG said:

Not that I want to keep adding to the bad feelings here, but...we drove to Danville last year had to wait through the delays, showed up on time and then left prior to the event starting. My son did not make top 4 last year he was 5th in his weight class. There was an opening in the bracket because someone did not show up. My son did not get the spot because Danville called up a local family that had not bothered to show up for weigh-ins and gave the spot to them. This held up the tournament even longer. My son didn't complain once. I am posting this to let you all know life isn't always fair and there isn't much point in complaining about it. We can't make the weather better, we can just make the best of it.

REscalera is trying to remind you all that it was just as bad last 

As I recall, last year we wanted to cancel but did not due to the fact that there were already teams in hotels in town. Therefore it would have been wasted money on those programs and families who had left early enough to spend the night. As you seem to be very upset over the idea that you traveled 6 hours to Danville in bad conditions, I would think you would be more understanding of how important it is to consider the timing of desision making for these events. Just because you drove in it does not mean that we wanted you or anyone else to be in harms way. We would have done the very same for our kids as well. I am sure going forward and with enough advanced weather information Danville will make every attempt to make a timely decision on such matters. 

In the matter of Alternates, I do believe there are rules that apply regarding Alternates for weight classes. These alternates have to come from that district first, then if they are not able they can pull from other districts. If your coaches disagreed, it should have been brought up in the Coaches meeting. 

I'm here in Cadiz. Spent money and tried to plan ahead even when the decision was glaringly obvious yesterday. I'm not sorry. We came ready to wrestle.  However, yesterday morning should have been the time to make a commitment to HAVING the tournament to give people ample time to travel ahead of weather...not wait til after the weather begins. I honestly believe there was enough advanced weather information.  Most schools were out yesterday and they were even aware they would be out today. This making yesterday the perfect time to travel and wait out the storm. Just as we attempted to do, even though I was sure there would be rescheduling of the event today. 

I am very sorry you felt slighted by our tournament. We did everything we could to resonably accommodate everyone. Hopefully we are all learning in the process and can do a much better job going foward. 

Looking forward to seeing everyone next weekend and the Econo Lodge in Cadiz has great staff. They are taking great care of us. Check out their rates on Booking.Com 59.99 a night. :) Nice staff. Clean rooms. Breakfast. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

15 minutes ago, TWO said:

As I recall, last year we wanted to cancel but did not due to the fact that there were already teams in hotels in town. Therefore it would have been wasted money on those programs and families who had left early enough to spend the night. As you seem to be very upset over the idea that you traveled 6 hours to Danville in bad conditions, I would think you would be more understanding of how important it is to consider the timing of desision making for these events. Just because you drove in it does not mean that we wanted you or anyone else to be in harms way. We would have done the very same for our kids as well. I am sure going forward and with enough advanced weather information Danville will make every attempt to make a timely decision on such matters. 

In the matter of Alternates, I do believe there are rules that apply regarding Alternates for weight classes. These alternates have to come from that district first, then if they are not able they can pull from other districts. If your coaches disagreed, it should have been brought up in the Coaches meeting. 

I'm here in Cadiz. Spent money and tried to plan ahead even when the decision was glaringly obvious yesterday. I'm not sorry. We came ready to wrestle.  However, yesterday morning should have been the time to make a commitment to HAVING the tournament to give people ample time to travel ahead of weather...not wait til after the weather begins. I honestly believe there was enough advanced weather information.  Most schools were out yesterday and they were even aware they would be out today. This making yesterday the perfect time to travel and wait out the storm. Just as we attempted to do, even though I was sure there would be rescheduling of the event today. 

I am very sorry you felt slighted by our tournament. We did everything we could to resonably accommodate everyone. Hopefully we are all learning in the process and can do a much better job going foward. 

Looking forward to seeing everyone next weekend and the Econo Lodge in Cadiz has great staff. They are taking great care of us. Check out their rates on Booking.Com 59.99 a night. :) Nice staff. Clean rooms. Breakfast. 

Sorry TWO, I think you are miss understanding the reason for my post. I was not complaining about what happened only stating facts that happened. You are correct in stating there are rules that apply to who fills a position. Our coaches did bring a protest, but were overruled. Weigh ins were closed and the tournament was held to wait for a local kid that did not show up for weigh ins. you can spin it however your conscience needs to make you feel better. Please don't take this the wrong way, but I don't care. Like I stated earlier My son did not complain once. I was frustrated at the time, but I'm a big boy and got over it and my sons uncomplaining example was key in that. I posted to state life isn't fair and we just need to make the best of it. Life is full of bad calls and it is not worth getting blood pressure raised over it.

18 hours ago, REscalera said:

Just in case anyone can't recall, this is what we had to travel to Danville in last year.  

http://fox41blogs.typepad.com/wdrb_weather/2015/01/heavy-snow-blankets-much-of-kentucky.html

Funny how no one complained when they lived 20 minute away last year. But now they have the safety of the wrestlers in their best interest now that they have to travel. I'm sorry if I make someone mad, but 6 hours on the road last year with our kids and we had to come up or our kids didn't get to wrestle What was the region host thinking than. So I'm sorry my school district wanted to see what was going to happen. We do have the best interest  for all wrestlers. This is the last time I will commit on this. I think that Region 1 should be held in the middle of each district and that outside of both district host the district. That way no team like Danville and Trigg will have to travel from one end to the other. Just a thought. Think about it and maybe we can talk about it next Saturday. Be safe 

We only had to drive an hour last year to Danville, but it should have been postponed. The roads were treacherous. However, two wrongs don't make a right. Learn from the mistakes and make better decisions in the future. A statewide backup plan would be a good idea since this seems to be a consistent problem. Maybe if more than one region is forced to cancel due to weather, State becomes a 32 man bracket by default. Or, hold the Sunday following state duals as a backup date for regionals with weigh ins at State Duals being valid the following day. This would give options and consistency. 

Good of luck to all the KY wrestlers! We miss seeing all of you!

Ok I think I understand region seeds a little.

1st from one district will face the 4th.

my question is about the second place and 3rd place. Who goes to the opposite side of the bracket from 1st. Will 1st and 2nd from same district be on opposite sides? 

1 hour ago, Nike Man said:

Top side

Dist A 1 vs Dist B 4

Dist B 2 vs Dist A 3

Bottom side

Dist A 2 vs Dist B 3

Dist B 1 vs Dist A 4

This helped a ton. With a download from the App Store called bracket builder I was able to show my kid his braket.

4 hours ago, Nike Man said:

Top side

Dist A 1 vs Dist B 4

Dist B 2 vs Dist A 3

Bottom side

Dist A 2 vs Dist B 3

Dist B 1 vs Dist A 4

That was a real thank you. Was not clear about that.

• Upvote 1

On January 21, 2016 at 4:52:57 PM, Nike Man said:

I personally think that the coaches association needs to step in here. If any region has to cancel due to weather, all regions should be cancelled as well. I know the fuss will be that state duals are next weekend. State duals have been cancelled before, I say cancel them again and let all of these region championships be wrestled next Sat the 30th. Sounds like the most fair option to me.

canceling all Bc of one is a bad idea. What if one of them did that then had a weather issue of their own with no chance to make it up in time for state? When they could have just had it on time.

5 hours ago, All American said:

canceling all Bc of one is a bad idea. What if one of them did that then had a weather issue of their own with no chance to make it up in time for state? When they could have just had it on time.

True, you have a point. I was more or less trying to make a point of equality. What's good for one is good for another. That's all.

• Upvote 1