tekejew

Region 1

I personally think that the coaches association needs to step in here. If any region has to cancel due to weather, all regions should be cancelled as well. I know the fuss will be that state duals are next weekend. State duals have been cancelled before, I say cancel them again and let all of these region championships be wrestled next Sat the 30th. Sounds like the most fair option to me.

• Upvote 4

42 minutes ago, Nike Man said:

I personally think that the coaches association needs to step in here. If any region has to cancel due to weather, all regions should be cancelled as well. I know the fuss will be that state duals are next weekend. State duals have been cancelled before, I say cancel them again and let all of these region championships be wrestled next Sat the 30th. Sounds like the most fair option to me.

I absolutely agree. I'm going to be furious if I get stuck paying for hotels this weekend because you guys didn't call this off on time then have to turn around and have to pay again next weekend. Not to mention if I get on the road and the roads are closed...and I can't get there. We are coming from Danville. My son has worked to hard for this to miss it but I am not sure that this is sound decision making from these regions still planning on having these tournaments. 

The same thing happened last year and the tournament was only delayed a few hours. We drove 4 hrs thru a snow storm to get to Danville. 

Union is a club team. Our team and Danville are school teams ruled by a higher power. Even if we wanted to we can't go against our superintendent.

The same decisions were made at the expense of other school teams last year. Besides the host is a school team as well. So if the decision to have the tournament is made then a School team made it.

3 hours ago, TWO said:

I absolutely agree. I'm going to be furious if I get stuck paying for hotels this weekend because you guys didn't call this off on time then have to turn around and have to pay again next weekend. Not to mention if I get on the road and the roads are closed...and I can't get there. We are coming from Danville. My son has worked to hard for this to miss it but I am not sure that this is sound decision making from these regions still planning on having these tournaments. 

My school district will let me know around 10 am Friday I will let everyone know as soon as I do. But not to start anything we drove 6 hours in this weather last year to go to Danville/

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, trigg 155 said:

My school district will let me know around 10 am Friday I will let everyone know as soon as I do. But not to start anything we drove 6 hours in this weather last year to go to Danville/

Does middle school wrestling fall under USA wrestling or the school districts that the school belongs to? If one school cancels all sports but the school with the tourney puts it on anyway can a kid from the canceled district still show up?

The whole matter is the safety of these young athletes who all deserve the right to compete. To say we did something like this before is likened to continually touching something that burns you, it was wrong to have put any team in danger before and would still be wrong. Since region 4 is rescheduling they all should be. KSWA should make that happen. 

• Upvote 2

I don't think I hear anyone saying it was wrong to have traveled to Danville last year in the snow.  Heck, we live in a state that has snow almost every year.  It shouldn't be a surprise to have to travel in it.   As for region 4 doing it so the entire state should too.  Let's let each region make their own decision.  Our state is big enough that one part can have snow the other rain and another nothing.  Wrestling is a winter sports.  That means travel in inclement weather is very possible. 

7 hours ago, Nike Man said:

1 hour ago, REscalera said:

I don't think I hear anyone saying it was wrong to have traveled to Danville last year in the snow.  Heck, we live in a state that has snow almost every year.  It shouldn't be a surprise to have to travel in it.   As for region 4 doing it so the entire state should too.  Let's let each region make their own decision.  Our state is big enough that one part can have snow the other rain and another nothing.  Wrestling is a winter sports.  That means travel in inclement weather is very possible. 

I am typing on my wife's account. I don't have one. I agree with most of what has been posted here. You are right about winter weather in Kentucky. I think we can also agree that regardless of where it's held, it's a pretty long trip. My wife's frustration is not in having to go to Trigg County or anywhere else. It's the unpredictable weather, the frustration of planning, and not being sure if my son will be able to wrestle. That is no one's fault. It is regrettable that there may be kids that won't be able to travel and compete. We are fortunate. We came on down, and I am typing this in a hotel in Cadiz. If we wrestle Saturday great; if not, we will be back next week. I know the conditions on the way to Danville last year were not good. Our school does not pay for transportation when we travel this far, so the decision to travel is up to the parent. If it took six hours to get to Danville I am sure the weather was really bad. I apologize if anyone felt they were in danger by attending last year. I assume there were some hard feelings there based on several of the reponses, weather reports, etc. Sorry to ramble. Can we just relax and wrestle?

9 hours ago, Jbrown1405 said:

School team kids still can wrestle their parents would have to take them and they wouldn't have a school coach there but they can compete. I saw this 2 yrs ago. 

So let me get this right, The former President of youth wrestling association just said a kid can compete without a coach in their corner? If their parents are allowed in the corner than that opens another can of worms. If it's ok for a parent to just step in and coach their kid without a USA wrestling coaches card, first aide training, khsaa modules completed, that apparently we needed to even enter the kid into districts, is an alarming sidestep of the bylaws.

I'm thinking if we don't need a coaches card, then that $55x3 could be better served on our kids next year.

Our school system is listening to our appeals but they keep coming back to the same spot...the safety of the kids. If the storm has less of an impact than they have forecast we maybe able to attend. But if they say no go, than its just that.

Sorry to get testy but it seems to be going around. 

Jus in case anyone has the notion I'm hiding behind a screen name,

Jon Askelson

Head coach

Bardstown Middle school 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, TWO said:

Can a kid wrestle without a coach in his corner? 

Lets say it's just one kid on the team that made it to regions can any coach with a USA card sit in his corner?

could it be a coach from another school?

Edited by ALLamerican