CUTiger184

State Duals

I just spoke with Coach Franky James and he proposed hosting small school at Lindsey Wilson and big school at  Campbellsville University. I'm sure Coach Ruff would be on board as well. Campbellsville and Lindsey are only 18 miles apart. He suggested alternating each year for hosting small and big school. I love the idea, and it gives each school an equal opportunity at recruiting. After all Campbellsville is the geographical center of the state. So there can be no arguments for anyone on travel lol. I plan on being more involved with the coaches association and proposing this idea/plan for next year. After the winners are declared for each division we will host a college dual or tri between St. Catherine/Lindsey/Campbellsville. I think it would be an awesome environment. 

• Upvote 1

Cutigers184-

that's a wonderful idea! It would make a great opportunity for campbellsville/Lindsey/st Catherine/Cumberland/ Thomas noe to see the talent pool to recruit. let's make this happen. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, halfhalfhalf said:

Cutigers184-

that's a wonderful idea! It would make a great opportunity for campbellsville/Lindsey/st Catherine/Cumberland/ Thomas noe to see the talent pool to recruit. let's make this happen. 

I'm working on it as we speak. Coach James is on board I'm going to speak with coach Ruff this weekend. Franky is going to go on and reserve the gym at c ville for next year in hopes we get this ironed out. 

I think the Expo Center in Pikeville or possibly something in McCracken County would be great.  Let the central part of the state travel a little bit and they will see why teams like Union County, Johnson Central, Campbell County, Ryle, and Wayne County wrestle so many matches out of state.

On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2016‎ ‎1‎:‎52‎:‎56‎, depperschmidt said:

I like it! But I would not know how you would get a school with no mats anywhere close to make it happen.  I live in Lewis County there is not any teams in Mason, Lewis, Fleming, Bracken, Robertson, Carter , Rowan, Bath or Nicolas County's to my knowledge. That's a Huge geographical area to haul mats to and from.

East Carter had a team for 5-10 years and had 1 state runner-up.  The coach was an ROTC teacher and I think when he retired, so did their program.

There is a big difference between being the geographical center of the state and where the majority of wrestlers or population of the state Live .Moving the tournament takes all the arguing out of the equation but there are benefits to a few ideas .

I'm not 100 percent sure but I would say both those locations are south of about 85 percent of the population of KY

I agree with you nature boy. But it is a logical resolution to the problem and it promotes our in state college programs. It's 2.5 hours from union county and about 3 from Johnson central. It'll be 2.5 for me. (I'm just thinking on the farthest east and west teams that we have. I don't mind the drive and it would give the kids an extra push to wrestle hard if they are competing in front of college coaches. 

• Upvote 1

I thought the idea was to promote the growth of high school wrestling, not college.  But I'm not part of the coach's association, so...

Either way it is promoting high school wrestling, it is a high school event hosted by the KYWCA.  Why not kill two birds with one stone and give kids a chance to showcase their talents in front of the states two best college programs? 

• Upvote 1

Growing wrestling in KY must go through college and youth programs, I am convinced, not high school.  Our high school wrestlers who compete in college are more likely to get involved in coaching, therefore further growing the sport, more than your average high school wrestler.  By allowing our best wrestlers to compete in front of college coaches they will hopefully will become excited to compete on the next level, if they aren't already.

• Upvote 3

I see where everyone is getting at but those are not the only colleges in KY that offer wrestling and ,Getting more kids involved to begin with is more important than promoting the best two colleges in the state .my point was if everyone promoted the duals together and moved them around the state the FANS and the kids from youth up who may not get to see the best teams or kids would get to see a big tournament .

I'm all for promoting colleges but I'm sorry it looks like a recruitment ploy to me rather than an attempt to actually get the sport to grow keeping them at those locations does two things .keeps them stationary where only the people putting it on can profit and keeps those who live far away travelling there .

Spread the love and as I said there are more than those two colleges in the state who have wrestling .I believe Thomas Moore is D3  and they will be the only non naia school in the state what happens when they say hey we are Above naia and new we could actually benefit our team state and sport more than anyone else .

• Upvote 1

That's why I am a fan of hosting it at a venue, not a school (high school or college). If we move it around the state, is it possible to find 5 separate venues to rotate to? A north, south, east, west, and central location? If so, we shouldn't hear too many complaints about travel. 

19 minutes ago, coachteater said:

Just confirmed, Fern Creek is out. Ryle will replace them. This is from Coach McCoy 

Sorry to hear that. Fern Creek was a tough Team. Does anybody know why the Large School DUALs are not posted in Track wrestling. I saw that the small school is already uploaded and the POOLS have been set. Is the Large School not using Track Wrestling.