CUTiger184

State Duals

State duals week is here. Let's hear some more  predictions for small and big school. I'm excited to hear how big school plays out. Union county is the clear favorite in small school. Big school.... Woodford, Trinity, Fern Creek, Oldham. It may be a crap shoot in big school. 

The last time I attended the state duels, both large and small school events were held in the same venue (Montgomery County) then the winners of both divisions competed. I assume this will not occur with different venues.

9 hours ago, CUTiger184 said:

State duals week is here. Let's hear some more  predictions for small and big school. I'm excited to hear how big school plays out. Union county is the clear favorite in small school. Big school.... Woodford, Trinity, Fern Creek, Oldham. It may be a crap shoot in big school.

I think the dark horse this year will be MEADE Co. They have beaten some good Top Teams which no one expected and going into the State Duals with a 43-3 record, I think a few upsets are on the way. I call it now, it will be a Meade Co. - Oldham Co. final and winner will be only by 8 points leaning towards Meade. The Ferncreek - Meade County match shows a good perspective why Meade has a chance to come out on top this year.

1 hour ago, Usawresstling said:

With the absence of hopkinsville will ryle get into state duals

McCracken co replaced Hopkinsville.  All others are participating.  So ryle will not be in

1 hour ago, Usawresstling said:

16 hours ago, firemans34 said:

Just saw a story on Landon Young on the news committing to UK.  Wish he was still wrestling.  Good kid, good wrestler, good luck Landon!

Landon is still wrestling.  He just had to wait until after the Army game to participate.  Landon is an awesome young man.  He has a very bright future ahead of him!

Small school:

1. Union 
  2. Harrison County 
  3. Walton Verona
  4. North Oldham
  5. Larue County
  6. Wayne County 

Big School: 

1. Woodford
  2. Trinity
  3. Oldham
  4. Fern Creek
  5. Johnson Central
  6. Meade County

Big school is hard to determine, here is my rough estimate. I would love to know how the seeds will turn out.  

Small school will be competitive, not much separates North Oldham, Harrison, and Walton Verona so 2nd-4th could be anybody's. Can any one of these team upend Union County? 

48 minutes ago, heavy83 said:

I always thought host school had first chance to fill

FIRST One To FILL Spot IS THE #3 from the region the team that didn't go was from. Then if they decline, it goes to another #3.

I kind of think that if the host school is one of the 3rd place finishers then they should get the first open spot.  If they don't finish top 3 in their section then I would understand allowing other schools the opportunity.

I see both sides of this debate. I could easily argue it either way. Rather than doing that, how about moving it to Frankfort at the Civic Center? This could possibly fix the host team problem, it gives a central location, and it is one awesome venue to watch wrestling!! 

• Upvote 2

Just change the venue like that ?Who does things like that ? That's not how you build a legitimate tournament or dual .Might be a great spot but not really the thing to do to build up integrity in a system .

NatureBoy, I was just throwing out an idea to solve the "host team" issue. If we were to have a tournament or duals at a neutral site, then we have possibly fixed the problem. In my opinion, just because a school host the State Duals, that doesn't give them an "automatic bid" to compete if another school drops out. The Frankfort Civic Center is an awesome venue for wrestling. If it were up to you, what is your solution?

• Upvote 1

Well if you have a system that picks a school site to have a state dual tournament before the actual teams are set ,You cannot turn around and say let's switch sites because the host team did not make the tournament .That's like picking a city to have the super bowl then if that city's team doesn't make playoffs saying let's switch the sites,You just do not do that to legit schools or legitimate Tournaments .I was not commenting on whether Ryle should be first or not I would say rules are rules for everyone even though it would be nice to have the host school in the duals .I wasn't knocking or commenting on who should be in or not the best teams earn that privilege in my opinion perhaps if a team drops out the other teams who are next in line can have a rat tail dual if you want to be Fair winner is in .

Union wasn't exactly the best site for everyone ,no complaining I say let it be moved around so everyone's area can enjoy or have a shot at seeing the best teams .Since the state tourney is in a central location .One I think is near perfect moving state duals around is a great idea .

• Upvote 2