Sign in to follow this  
Ranger123

Middle School Rankings 2015/16 - JANUARY 8

1 hour ago, mom of 2 said:

My son made it through districts and regions with a note from dr saying his ringworm was no longer contagious he had been treated but had a scar with a little bit of scab still

we got to state and he was not allowed to wrestle

he was also ranked and would have placed im sure at state

the refs seens it called in the personal trainer and for some reason several other coaches form rivals and as a group they said no

school nurse was iffy aout it but we had two dr notes also that should have outweighed a nurse

more or less it was other coaches talking the refs into saying no

just a little scared that's all

What was his name and what school was he from?

On January 25, 2016 at 2:49:34 PM, rjs4470 said:

Rules do not permit "covering up" a contagious skin condition.  It's just as contagious covered as it is uncovered---bandages fall off, get moved, wet from sweat, etc.  Once someone in our room contracts ringworm, we don't allow them to practice until the coaches feel the infection is inactive. 

What about a burn that is healing or scabed over? Can that be covered with gauze and tape?

3 hours ago, ALLamerican said:

What about a burn that is healing or scabed over? Can that be covered with gauze and tape?

Last time I checked a burn isn't a contagious skin condition.

• Upvote 1

I copy And Pasted from A Medical Site.... I'm not a Doctor...But I googled and this is what it said...    If you are wondering how long ringworm is contagious for, then the answer is that it is only contagious as long as you don’t treat it. Once treatment starts, it stops spreading within a period of 24 – 48 hours. If it is a mild infection it is easy to contain and treat. Children who are suffering from ringworm infection do not have to miss school as ringworm of the skin is not very contagious and needs a skin to skin contact to spread. It does not take long after treatment starts for the infection to stop being contagious. It just takes up to 48 hours after treatment starts ringworm is no longer contagious.... I Googled it...and this is what I found... It could be wrong, dunno?   http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=3&ved=0ahUKEwjnmpu7jsnKAhXIdz4KHaOmBWUQFggiMAI&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.beyonddisease.com%2Fhow-long-is-ringworm-contagious&usg=AFQjCNHxBFQdZOxJxFcZmKayAiw1ioVfBQ&sig2=di_XVNzuMeS1x1ZdZ3pLZw

11 hours ago, Nolans Dad said:

I copy And Pasted from A Medical Site.... I'm not a Doctor...But I googled and this is what it said...    If you are wondering how long ringworm is contagious for, then the answer is that it is only contagious as long as you don’t treat it. Once treatment starts, it stops spreading within a period of 24 – 48 hours. If it is a mild infection it is easy to contain and treat. Children who are suffering from ringworm infection do not have to miss school as ringworm of the skin is not very contagious and needs a skin to skin contact to spread. It does not take long after treatment starts for the infection to stop being contagious. It just takes up to 48 hours after treatment starts ringworm is no longer contagious.... I Googled it...and this is what I found... It could be wrong, dunno?   http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=3&ved=0ahUKEwjnmpu7jsnKAhXIdz4KHaOmBWUQFggiMAI&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.beyonddisease.com%2Fhow-long-is-ringworm-contagious&usg=AFQjCNHxBFQdZOxJxFcZmKayAiw1ioVfBQ&sig2=di_XVNzuMeS1x1ZdZ3pLZw

That is exactly correct, my son had medical documentation of his treatment. He was on his 4th or 5th day of treatment. If my math is correct, that is way over the timeline. Like I have said and will keep saying, the refs did him very unjustly and discredited what a medical professional(On Site)had to say. Why would you go to the extreme of overruling a medical professional or a Medical Document for TREATED RING WORM??? That is my eyes is INSANITY

• Downvote 1

The only way an onsite doctor has any say at all is if the tournament director has appointed a doctor over the tournament. This tournament didn't have one so everyone in the could have been doctors and it wouldn't have mattered. Typically ringworm that has been treated for 3 or 4 days starts to fade or isn't really that red.  It is unfortunate it happens every year. The good thing is it is his 8th grade here and not his senior year.  Hopefully he gets a chance to represent team ky and has a successful high school year  

If an official or officials can overrule an On Site Medical Professional or even a signed Medical Document, all of our kids are in Danger. Wrestling needs to be shut down if that's the case, which I know it isn't the case.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

As much as I disagreed with the name calling, I completely agree with it shouldn't be the officials decision, let alone the trainers.  I would imagine 95% of the officials wouldn't want to make the calls either if it wasn't part of their responsibilities.  Neither are dermatologists.  In reality the issue is a state/national issue, and not just KY, it's in every state as this happens everywhere, at all age levels.  Only at certain top tournaments do you see a Dr. on staff at the event.  And even then, a regular MD isn't quite fully capable of making a good decisions, unless it is a Dermotologist.  I have seen many family practice doctors make wrong calls, simply because it is something not very common for them. 

Is it part of the Ref's association requirements to go through a skin funk program?  Some type of certification?  Serious question here, because I do not know the answer.  If not, maybe they should?  This could help eliminate some types of these issues at the least.  Knowledge, awareness, and experience helps all avenues here.

I totally apologize for the name calling, the heat of the moment thing we all have been there. Even if the Ref's do an online course of skin training does not give them the legal right to overrule a medical professional. I have found out that is a law and it should be to protect our kids.

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, RamMan said:

I totally apologize for the name calling, the heat of the moment thing we all have been there. Even if the Ref's do an online course of skin training does not give them the legal right to overrule a medical professional. I have found out that is a law and it should be to protect our kids.

• Upvote 1

Section 1, Article 2&3 are talking about the match not a medical decision. I know the officials are there to keep the kids safe(IN COMPETITION). Why on Gods green earth would an official want to overrule a Medical Document or a Medical Professional(Trainer)???? The officials butt is covered by the Medical KHSAA Form(that was current) and the ok by the trainer. No matter how you look at it, it looks very Dirty. I am a Middle School Coach myself and have been through the online KHSAA training and would not go 10 feet from overruling a Medical Document or a Medical Professional(Trainer from St. Elizabeth) It was ringworm that was treated for 4 plus days??? Are you serious??? Look at what you are arguing, let's swallow our ego's and admit the officials were in the wrong and do this sport some justice.

Let me educate you some more........ The middle school is not under KHSAA rules and regulations, but the Parents are required to have a KHSAA skin form??? The AMA is not just on Google for your information, it is an actual Association. See there, you are learning some things. If I was just thinking of my son, I would have been negligent in this situation and not had the proper documentation, but I did. So let's take a look at the big picture.......... Ringworm, is not Contagious after 48 hours of treatment. My son had Medical Documentation that he has been treated for 4 days. That is 96 hours if my math is correct, the big picture is way too much of a Power Trip!!! Officials need to do their job, keep the kids safe while Wrestling and make the correct call in a match. They don't need to try and be Part-time Medical Professionals, especially when a Medical Professional is present. Way too much power for that position.

• Upvote 1

Here's another scenario for WrestlerRef, say a kid passes out due to a number of issues. Bottom line the kid needs CPR. I am CPR certified trained, I jump in and I'm performing CPR. A Medical Professional shows up and says to me, I will take it from here. Should I look at him and say this is my call, I don't need you???? I know that is a different situation and a life threatening one, but you get the gist of it don't you??? Why in the world would I even question a Medical Professional? Sorry, but I do not understand the power and authority you are saying officials have. Maybe wrestling officials are Special, but maybe they need to be retrained on what they are really responsible for. I look at it as if an Official overrules a Medical Professional, that is Child Endangerment in my eyes!

I really wish I could just let it go, but I'm sure anyone else would feel the same way I feel. All I hear from people is it sucks, sorry, bad deal, and so on. I know it is what it is, but my son will remember this the rest of his life, even if it is Middle School. We trust and put people in authority to do the right thing and the total opposite happens. I wish all the wrestlers luck at State. My son will be there supporting his teammates

The best way to support this now, come up with a better solution.  How can we make it better?  Help make sure no other young man or family has to go through this.  And no, not just saying ref's can't over ride a dr. note..... that's not going to happen and there are waaaaaay to many variables to even think about allowing that.  The ref is the last line of prevention for skin funk, this will not change.  So how can we make it better?

And since we have totally annihilated Ranger's rankings page.   Maybe start a new thread with your ideas so the thousands of other families, coaches, and fans can input their ideas and thoughts as well, and we can leave this one be. 

The only thing positive that can come of this situation now is to help make it better.

• Upvote 1