Ranger123

Kentuckywrestling.com HS Rankings 2015/2016 - JANUARY 8

We had a nice little powow in the newly finished man cave and made a bunch of adjustments.  I'm sure there are more to come as some teams appear to be struggling to maintain their results on track.  A few notes and items of discussion we've talked about:

1) Union County is starting to look pretty strong and appears to be a true favorite at this point.  They seem to have the horses to run with Trinity, but also a few more role players that will score for them.

2) 106 is filling out into a strong weight.  Early on it didn't look like nearly the same depth that we saw last season, but it is starting to look pretty strong again this year with 10-12 very good kids.  Wheeler keeps winning.  Yost looked great at WCI.  Roth made the finals at GMV.  From the team race perspective, not sure who Union will put here.  If they find a kid that turns it on here, they could pull away from the field.

3) After 2 great matches with Duncan, it looks like Sheffer will finish the season at 128.  Also of note at 128, Castellano may be the most improved wrestler I have seen this year.

4) The top 6-7 kids at 138 will be fun to see battle it out; so many different styles and backgrounds.  Hopefully the state bracket is a fair draw.

5) This weight looks a bit different with Leak back on the mat and Oxford down from 152 (yes, Union Co has a number of kids on the drop).

6) 152/160  Those top 3 at each weight are some tough kids.

7) After Cornett we may be very surprised who ends up on the podium.

8) Giving Meiman another week to get back on the mat.  Same with the King brothers from JC.

9) If I was ever going to pick against my rankings to predict a state champ, Portman might be the guy right now.

10) Still awaiting the return of Landon Young.

11) Alert, for the first time since I can remember, Region 6 drops to 2nd in the state scoring.  Region 4 (Trinity, St X, Male, Central) is putting up some points and the depth isn't quite the same as in years past in Region 6.

WR Rankings 2015_16 JAN8.pdf

For doss; Jerome Jones and Max Powell only switched weights for one tournament, maybe two. For regionals and state Max will be 145 and Jerome will be 152. 

Also I thought Johnny Meiman was done wrestling? Any further information on this?

Edit: I didn't read your post all the way through. sorry. 

Avery Buckman has been 170 all year and won't be making the drop to 160. Cole Sherman on the other hand will be at 184, should be wrestling there today at the Father Ryan tournament.  

113 horton from ryle nearly beat the deck madison central kid and they are 14 rankings apart that weight must be highly competitive

Also i agree castellano has been a super stud this year i believe he was in the finals at gmva and swowca? That is impressive way to represent ky!

52 minutes ago, ccbcdeke said:

Heidorf beat Ackley at the Gladiator. 

Yeah we saw that.  Error on my part to not make that adjustment.  We will update again in about 2 weeks, so it will show then.

12 minutes ago, Usawresstling said:

113 horton from ryle nearly beat the deck madison central kid and they are 14 rankings apart that weight must be highly competitive

Also i agree castellano has been a super stud this year i believe he was in the finals at gmva and swowca? That is impressive way to represent ky!

Just wins and losses.  Almost doesn't get you a medal.  Deck has wins over Dodd (top 10 @ 120), Skeeters, and Mattox.  Horton can compete, but doesn't have any ranked wins.

11 minutes ago, Ranger123 said:

Just wins and losses.  Almost doesn't get you a medal.  Deck has wins over Dodd (top 10 @ 120), Skeeters, and Mattox.  Horton can compete, but doesn't have any ranked wins.

I agree i was just saying that shows how competitive that weight class really is thank you for the insight though ranger i was not questioning your rankings i promise

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Usawresstling said:

I agree i was just saying that shows how competitive that weight class really is thank you for the insight though ranger i was not questioning your rankings i promise

Ha Ha.  Everyone questions, that's the fun of it.  And yes, 113 should be a fairly competitive weight, especially after those top couple kids.

1 minute ago, Ranger123 said:

Ha Ha.  Everyone questions, that's the fun of it.  And yes, 113 should be a fairly competitive weight, especially after those top couple kids.

Haha i respect all you do for the kids and the rankings and i agree on the competition at 113

3 hours ago, Ranger123 said:

We had a nice little powow in the newly finished man cave and made a bunch of adjustments.  I'm sure there are more to come as some teams appear to be struggling to maintain their results on track.  A few notes and items of discussion we've talked about:

1) Union County is starting to look pretty strong and appears to be a true favorite at this point.  They seem to have the horses to run with Trinity, but also a few more role players that will score for them.

2) 106 is filling out into a strong weight.  Early on it didn't look like nearly the same depth that we saw last season, but it is starting to look pretty strong again this year with 10-12 very good kids.  Wheeler keeps winning.  Yost looked great at WCI.  Roth made the finals at GMV.  From the team race perspective, not sure who Union will put here.  If they find a kid that turns it on here, they could pull away from the field.

3) After 2 great matches with Duncan, it looks like Sheffer will finish the season at 128.  Also of note at 128, Castellano may be the most improved wrestler I have seen this year.

4) The top 6-7 kids at 138 will be fun to see battle it out; so many different styles and backgrounds.  Hopefully the state bracket is a fair draw.

5) This weight looks a bit different with Leak back on the mat and Oxford down from 152 (yes, Union Co has a number of kids on the drop).

6) 152/160  Those top 3 at each weight are some tough kids.

7) After Cornett we may be very surprised who ends up on the podium.

8) Giving Meiman another week to get back on the mat.  Same with the King brothers from JC.

9) If I was ever going to pick against my rankings to predict a state champ, Portman might be the guy right now.

10) Still awaiting the return of Landon Young.

11) Alert, for the first time since I can remember, Region 6 drops to 2nd in the state scoring.  Region 4 (Trinity, St X, Male, Central) is putting up some points and the depth isn't quite the same as in years past in Region 6.

WR Rankings 2015_16 JAN8.pdf

Portman at 220 beat Brandon Reed 3-1 at the KY All Star Classic on Oct 4th

2 hours ago, the man on the moon said:

Any reason?

Max won the wrestle off at the beginning of the season, and last week was told on Tuesday that he would have to wrestle off again for 145 with Jerome on Wednesday, and that he would have to be on weight to wrestle off. So instead of cutting 12 or so pounds in a day he just bumped for one tournament. Which worked out because he got a good close match with Reitnauer, whereas 145 was pretty wide open at Valley HS last weekend.

1 hour ago, KYwrestling123 said:

Portman at 220 beat Brandon Reed 3-1 at the KY All Star Classic on Oct 4th

"Ranger" was one of the main people putting that event together. I'm pretty sure that he knows the results of it lol

At TCI finals Marik Black looked tough. The score with Soper looks lopsided but he was down 2 points with about 20 seconds left, shot in with a straight double (DEEP) and locked up Soper's body but kinda paused instead of finishing for the 2pt TD and Soper just tossed him with double over hooks straight to his back for a 5 pt move thus the lopsided final score. Heck if Black would've just chose down to start the 3rd period instead of neutral that double leg TD would've won it instead of just tie it. I was confused why Wofo chose neutral since Soper hadn't rode Black at all the entire match. 

Long explanation for one match, I know. And I understand almosts arent wins but the match was very close and Black looked impressive all day long. 

Just my opinion but if Soper is legit top 6 at 126 (he placed last year, the kid is tough) then Black is probably top 10.  Needs to finish his shots quicker so Ranger will move him up some. 

No Marik is not my son. I do not even know him.  I watched the TCI finals and was pretty impressed with a kid I'd never really heard of before. 

From 106-132 Wofo is as strong as anyone else in the state. But they will need help from someone in the upper weights besides Max to make a run at a top 3 finish. Emir at 195 and Eldridge at 170 seem to be the ones most likely to fill that role.

Dakota Santiago beat Tucker (#12) at 170, 7-0 and lost a close OT match with Pritchett 3-5. He also finished higher at WCI (took 2nd to Morrow) than the 2-3 ranked ahead of him. Yes, I'm biased :-)

At the end of the day, 170 is pretty wide open aside from Cornett.

1 hour ago, WristControl said:

At TCI finals Marik Black looked tough. The score with Soper looks lopsided but he was down 2 points with about 20 seconds left, shot in with a straight double (DEEP) and locked up Soper's body but kinda paused instead of finishing for the 2pt TD and Soper just tossed him with double over hooks straight to his back for a 5 pt move thus the lopsided final score. Heck if Black would've just chose down to start the 3rd period instead of neutral that double leg TD would've won it instead of just tie it. I was confused why Wofo chose neutral since Soper hadn't rode Black at all the entire match. 

Long explanation for one match, I know. And I understand almosts arent wins but the match was very close and Black looked impressive all day long. 

Just my opinion but if Soper is legit top 6 at 126 (he placed last year, the kid is tough) then Black is probably top 10.  Needs to finish his shots quicker so Ranger will move him up some. 

No Marik is not my son. I do not even know him.  I watched the TCI finals and was pretty impressed with a kid I'd never really heard of before. 

From 106-132 Wofo is as strong as anyone else in the state. But they will need help from someone in the upper weights besides Max to make a run at a top 3 finish. Emir at 195 and Eldridge at 170 seem to be the ones most likely to fill that role.

Black was 10-7 going into tci, but he did look good. I'd say if he keeps wrestling that way, he will be ranked high. 

On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2016‎ ‎12‎:‎12‎:‎48‎, ccbcdeke said:

Heidorf beat Ackley at the Gladiator. 

Heidorf has a motor that does not stop.  Just watch the head trap from Andrew.  I know from experience.  lol.  Caught my son twice in two years at State.  Also,  Mr. Heidorf.  Where is my hat?  you have promised me the last 2 years.  Good luck to Hudson.  My youngest is in 6th grade now.  I will be back. lol