Wrestledad

Female Interest Is Growing

I am the father of a female wrestler, who is in the 7th grade. This sport has infected her, me, her mother, and others that see these girls competing and succeeding. The season is a long hard grind for all. We are glad when it is over, and can't wait for it to start again. My daughter has been blessed to have coaches that are very interested in seeing her succeed. I also like to think that maybe they have not had the opportunity to coach a female that loves the sport as much as they do. We have had a lot of situations come our way, and my daughter has made a lot of friends and gained a lot of respect from competition. Her teammates, I feel, would be quick to defend her if anyone disrespected her. I guess I am trying to gauge other parents that have a daughter in this sport and their thoughts and feelings.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

My daughter loves it!!!! She hasgrown up in a wrestling family and lives for it. She came to me and told me she wanted to wrestle.  She has taken her lumps,  but she has also given them.  What I have wanted to do for several years is put together a girl's club team and go to girls tournaments during the off season and just see how our girls stack up against other girls across the country. 

• Upvote 2

Something I see that needs to be addressed is weigh ins. With the growth of females in the sport, there needs to be a change done so females can weigh in at the same time as their team. Very few schools take this into consideration. At most venues, teams are weighed while all females are left sitting off to the side. After all boys are weighed, females are allowed to be done. This causes them to miss out on warmup and other pre match activities. My daughter and others' daughters have completely missed out do to this issue. I believe the wrestling schools should start to have separate weigh in areas to accommodate both genders so they can do the things they need to do as a team.

• Upvote 2

Everyone should weigh in wearing singlets and it wouldn't be an issue. At nationals, girls weigh in with boys and everyone wears a singlet. Allowing boys to go down to their underwear at weigh ins is where the issue arises. 

My Daughter is a 2x Regional Champion back to back.. 7yr old... Hope she inspires other girls that they can do it... We have a district champion female on our middle school team... Yes the girls are getting better...lol..

• Upvote 2

The War of the Roses! All girls competition! I have been told they would come to KENTUCKY if we had a venue and the interest! That would be awesome! My Daughter has never wrestled another girl yet... That would be fun!

• Upvote 2

Kayla Miracle from Campbellsville University qualified for the Olympic Team Trials by winning the Dave Schultz Memorial over the weekend.  Congrats to her.

• Upvote 1

I have two daughters ages 9 and 10 that have recently shown interest after their 7 year old brother started wrestling this year and has had success.  Funny thing is, my son is pretty good.  My daughters kick the snot out of him!

• Upvote 1

I'm thinking he/she is being a smart ass cause the Braves have a little badass young lady, which beat Lauren from Carr today, who wrestles for them.....

• Upvote 1

Okay,my apologies then.Sometimes I get on the defensive especially after youth state when River City forfeited to my daughter twice stating religious purposes.I did not understand "religious purposes" because my daughter works hard and dedicates all her time to this sport.Her oponent was devistated because he wanted to wrestle her and couldn't.My daughter felt so bad that she apoligized to him next to her on the winners podium.

• Upvote 1

As far as interest growing, we as high school coaches have noticed. A few coaches and I have been discussing what we can do to grow the sport for women st the high school level. Being on the kywca advisor board, I will be talking with the new members and our new president,  Coach Upchurch, about seeing what we can do as an association to help push this forward. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, coachteater said:

As far as interest growing, we as high school coaches have noticed. A few coaches and I have been discussing what we can do to grow the sport for women st the high school level. Being on the kywca advisor board, I will be talking with the new members and our new president,  Coach Upchurch, about seeing what we can do as an association to help push this forward. 

Thank you for noticing.As a mom of a female athlete in wrestling,I really appreciate the support and by bringing this to the wrestling forum I have received more positive feedback than negative.

• Upvote 1

I apologize  for being both a smart ass and a dumbass. Both come completely  natural to me.

I have twin girls that wrestle. Both are youth state champions. They love the sport. They out work the boys at practice and it shows at tournaments. They are planning on wrestling freestyle this spring. Hope to see many female athletes on the mats. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Braves coach said:

I apologize  for being both a smart ass and a dumbass. Both come completely  natural to me.

I have twin girls that wrestle. Both are youth state champions. They love the sport. They out work the boys at practice and it shows at tournaments. They are planning on wrestling freestyle this spring. Hope to see many female athletes on the mats. 

You are not a dumbass.....Dan explained who you were and he says you're alright so if he says you are pretty good guy then I trust that.Lol!

Olivia was impressive in the finals Braves coach.  Those were two excellent wrestlers going at it regardless of their gender.  I think that rivalry is about to pick up!!

I have seen Lauren from Carr Academy in action.She is an impressive little girl.Looking forward to watching Brave's girls down the road too and seeing these girls as they grow in the sport.

• Upvote 2

Ashley from Woodford and Lexi from McNab are ones I like to watch too.My two girls are Courtney and Hannah from Anderson. I have got to meet several parents of impressive young ladies.

• Upvote 2