Sign in to follow this  
Nike Man

Walsh Ironman

Seeding is out for the 2015 Walsh Ironman. Looks like Trinity has 3 seeded wrestlers. Tyler Frankrone is seeded 6th, Hudson Heidorf is seeded 10th, and Keegan Duncan is seeded 11th. Good luck guys. 

• Upvote 1

List of teams attending this year.  F is for full team and the numbers are how many wrestlers from each school  Just a few hammers attending.

Team Name (State) [#]
Anthony Wayne Ohio (1)
Arvada West Colo. (3)
Bakersfield High School
Bedford Bearcats
Bellbrook OH (1)
Belle Vernon, PA (Full)
Benedictine College Prep Va. (2)
Blair Academy N.J. (F)
Brecksville Ohio (F)
Broken Arrow Okla. (F)
Brunswick Ohio (5)
Calvary Chapel Calif. (3)
Canfield Ohio (4)
Central Crossing Ohio (5)
Cincinnati LaSalle Ohio (5)
Cincinnati Moeller Ohio (F)
Circleville Ohio (1)
Claymont Ohio (F)
Copley Ohio (2)
Covington Ohio (1)
CVCA Ohio (4)
Davis Utah (1)
Dayton Christian Ohio (7)
Defiance Ohio (1)
Delaware Hayes, Ohio
Delta Ohio (6)
Dixon Calif. (1)
Elyria Ohio (F)
Franklin Ohio (1)
Franklin Regional Pa. (F)
Genoa Ohio (3)
Good Counsel Md. (F)
Graham (St. Paris) Ohio (F)
Grand Junction Colo. (2)
Hoban (1)
James Madison Va. (2)
Kiski Prep Pa. (2)
Lake Catholic Ohio (2)
Legacy Colo. (1)
Lorain Ohio (2)
Lutheran West Ohio (1)
Malvern Prep Pa. (10)
Manchester Ohio (2)
Maplewood Missouri (2)
Marmion Academy illinois (F)
Martin Luther King Calif. (1)
Mason Ohio (3)
Massillon Ohio (1)
Massillon Perry Ohio (F)
McDonogh School Md. (7)
Mechanicsburg Ohio (5)
Miamisburg Ohio (2)
Montini Catholic Illinois (F)
Napoleon Ohio (1)
Oak Park River Forest Illinois (F)
Oregon Clay Ohio (2)
Orting Wash. (3)
Padua Franciscan, Ohio (3)
Perrysburg Ohio (2)
Pleasant Grove Utah (7)
Pomona Colo. (F)
Ponderosa Colo. (3)
Poudre Colo. (2)
Ranch Bernardo Calif. (5)
Reynolds Pa. (F)
Saegertown Pa. (F)
San Marino Calif. (F)
Sandusky Perkins Ohio (1)
Springboro Ohio (1)
St. Christopher Va. (5)
St. Edward Ohio (F)
St. Ignatius Ohio (3)
St. John Bosco Calif. (7)
St. Johns College D.C. (6)
St. Marys Ryken Md. (1)
St. Thomas Aquinas Fla. (1)
St. Vincent - St. Mary Ohio (3)
St. Vincent Pallotti Md. (1)
Steubenville Ohio (6)
Stilwell Okla. (1)
Sycamore Ohio (1)
Tallmadge Ohio (1)
Tampa Jesuit Fla. (4)
The Phelps School Pa. (3)
Toledo Central Catholic Ohio (2)
Trinity Christian Texas (4)
Trinity Ky. (4)
Urbana Ohio (1)
W. Geauga Ohio (1)
Wadsworth Ohio (F)
Walsh Jesuit Ohio (F)
Washington illinois (F)
Wauseon Ohio (3)
Winter Springs Fla. (1)
Wyoming Seminary Pa. (F)

Tourney starts at 1, Flo will be streaming if you have Flo Pro.  1st Round- Keegan Duncan Trinity vs. Josh Solomon St. John Bosco; Hudson Heidorf Trinity vs. Jake Little Massilon Perry;  Tyler Frankrone Trinity vs. Kole Aubeil Claymont

Tyler looks to have a good draw to make the QTRS where he would most likely face Wyatt Koelling from Davis Utah.  Koelling is ranked 16th at 195 per flow.  Then in the semi's Tyler could/should see Jack Harris Urbana Oh, or Kevin Snyder Good Counsel.  We tried getting the Harris match up for the preview, but it didn't work out.  Tyler has a good shot at the finals if he wrestles up to his ability.  Darmstadt from Ohio is #1 seed on the other side of the bracket, tough kid. 

For Keegan I don't know anything about the St. John Bosco kid, but their kids are usually tough (Pico, Valencia brothers).  2nd round would be winner of Mason Oh and Wyoming Seminary (both tough schools).  Tough side of the bracket here, with Jaden Mattox, Hunter Bray, Dylan Duncan.  Definitely a tough weight class all around

Hudson has a win able 1st match, 2nd match would be against the 7 seed from Marmion Academy IL; winner of that would get 2nd seed Wyatt Sheets from Stillwater OK (ranked 13th) in the QTRS.

I will be able to watch the first round hopefully so I will post what updates I see before I head to the JV Rumble today.  Trackwrestling should have results up as well after each match/round

Frankrone looked phenomenal...nasty crotch lift in the 2nd period.  Sporting a pretty sick ETC singlet by the way...

I predict Mattox in the finals.

On Sat Dec 12 2015 17:10:28 GMT-0500, tja said:

Frankrone loses a close match 4-3

Arizona St. Coach walked up to us after Tyler's match and said that final takedown tyler made would've been scored 2 in college to give him the win. 

Congrats to all for competing on one of the highest levels of high school wrestling. Did Tyler end up taking 3rd?

• Upvote 1

I would say Folk style it's probably the fourth toughest behind NHSCA Flo and super 32 .With Fargo being the #1 easily and Fila right behind Fargo or somewhere in the mix .You could break it down with some doing better and others worse in each tournament but numbers and rankings tell the story much better than anyone's opinions .

SAW once again why Fargo and freestyle GRECO is so important as time after time I saw competitors in those styles doing well this weekend .

Iron man is totally lopsided with Ohio kids .Super 32 seems lopsided with east coast PA kids .Flow although in PA had a nice mix with maybe an east coast pa majority  Fargo has kids from all over usually an ill Midwest type majority but with classes and caliber that far exceeds an Iron man field that had no class exceeding 36 and most at 32 or under and most classes predominantly try Ohio kids 

East coast guys would argue for Beast of the East and Some could say Powerade as well with Powerade being up there with it in my opinion .Midwest guys would say Cheese head .

If you looked at numbers of competitors  as well as number of ranked kids NHSCAs  would far exceed Iron Man as for Flo not the numbers as NHSCA but for flair alone it's one of a kind best facilities best coverage best awards and strives to be the best and bring the best to put on a show like no other for the fans of the sport and their own Glory of course .

• Downvote 1

TYLER looked as if he could have won the match and tournament easily had he pushed the pace earlier and the whole match leaving a judgment call up to the ref against an Ohio champ in an Ohio tournament while waiting to the last seconds to show how dominant you could be was a mistake .Wish we could have seen him wrestle out the rest of the tournament .Reminded me of Cox and Heflin from Ohio State 2 years ago at nationals with Heflin attempting to score late and just missing it .I think everyone is waiting to see when Tyler just comes out and attacks the whole match because we all know it will be incredible .

• Upvote 1

Fargo and Fila are probably the toughest tourneys, agreed, but they are also different styles, so that's comparing apples and oranges.  For Folkstyle I would think NHSCA, Flo, Super 32 and Ironman are all in the same category.  Each person could go through each weight class collectively and point out why each tournament is better than the other, with everyone having a solid case on each.  I do agree also Ironman is heavy Ohio kids, rightfully so, it's an Ohio in season tourney, where the others are not.  In season being the key word.  At that point you have schools from other states that will not allow other kids to compete.  KY for example, you have to get school board permission prior to acceptance.  This can make it difficult for some to attend in other states, as well as Ky kids, or IN kids, or whichever state.  If the board doesn't approve, you can't go.  This is the difference between NHSCA, Flo, and 32.  Those being out of season tourneys it's up to the parents to get them there.  I would think NHSCA and 32 have better competition over all (definitely a more east coast tournament also) but for in season tournaments, I would think Ironman has to be the #1, or at least top 2.  Powerade and Beast have some good teams and kids no question, but Ironman at least in my opinion would seem like the top tourney, for in season.  Over all folkstyle I agree, not the top dog, in season, hard to argue other wise. 

To add to Mr. Frankrone's comments, Tyler wrestled great, I watched that match, could have been 2 for sure.  The good thing for this weekend's ironman compared to the past (since 2011 weight changes), I think it was the toughest competition to date yet for the 195lb weight class.  Typically you get a watered down upper weight class group from 195-HWY due to football.  This year's 195lb class was tough, and Tyler represented very well. 

• Upvote 1

I wouldn't argue Iron man being the best in season on most occasions .

BUT I would put NHSCA far ahead of it in talent and numbers .With 4 classes some with more competitors ranked and not in each weight class in each age division  than in some classes at Iron man with all age classes combined it doesn't really compare .I saw some classes in just the SR division at NHSCA with more numbers and more ranked kids than Iron Man had and that's without the other 3 grade levels .Flo and Super 32 bigger venues more numbers and a wider range of kids from different states and while FLO does not have the numbers of NHSCA it is a first class event nothing else like it in the sport .

As far as in season or out of season goes that is true but as has been proven the Iron Man is not open to everyone even those whose states allow it .

Having been to them all NHSCA has the bigger event more and better talent and History .Flo is on a different level event wise and has super talent .Iron Man has a High School super pumped up feel in a close quarters facility .Super 32 has a ton of talent ran by a bunch of crooks pretty much the same as Iron Man 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

16 hours ago, Mike_Frankrone said:

Let me go on the record and say,  The Walsh Ironman is easily one of the top 5 toughest High School Tournaments in the nation. .

Nothing but monsters wrestling at that tournament. .

100% agree. I have been to them all. Had two boys wrestle. We hit Beast, IM, Powerade, NHSCA,....I traveled w/ their school to Clash. You name it (have not hit Flo yet). For in season my money is on IM. Hard to compare to the out of season events. Many top guys don't go. Sure, the sheer #s can be greater, but oftentimes not nearly as deep. Hard to compare GR/FS with Folk. Most all guys practice GR/FS for a few weeks and thats it. For example, no Graham wrestlers hit these events. How many successful Fargo wrestlers have left IM emptyhanded? Happens every year.

IM weighs heavily in crowning a team national championship as it should. 

The beauty here is that we have so many great events. They all shine in their own way. With all that said, find a way to go to Clash. Best team tournament. Very well run.

• Upvote 2