Sign in to follow this  
WHS98

open letter apology to ranger

It was brought to my attention that the comments i made could lead to ranger no longer making his rankings.That is in no way what i wanted to happen.I let out some of my frustration on here by trying to get him to admit to a ranking on a kids behavior.This all came from an incident over the summer. Aj bindner my son cussed a coach.I in no way condone that behavior.Like i have always said when i was coaching " you can't coach all kids the same".Me and his coach were addiment that we were going to get him to practice this summer.Even though thats not what he wanted to do.If it had not been that it was going to be his senior year it would not have been that big of a deal.But we both felt like he needed to be there.He was coming off a small but nagging injury in which he was sometimes questioned about its authenticity.But believe me i have the doctors bill to prove it.I questioned aj about why he would cuss his coach.His response was"he kept putting me with one tough kid after another".Well to anyone else that would sound great because that means he is getting one heck of a workout.But that is not always the same with kids.When he is put out in the center for all to watch and he is not near at his best then odds are he is going to lose.To most people that is no big deal.Its just practice right.Not to aj.He has something i can't explain about having to win at everything.If you thing i am exaggerating i can show you some medical records of an incident that happened his freshman year.He is diagnosed with adhd but he had so many side effects with the meds we would choose not to put him on it.Well his freshmen year we had to rush him to the hospital because he went into what looked like a seizure.I thought he had some type of brain tumor because he was shaking violently.They kicked me out of the room because i demanded they do something.After it was all over and they ran many test the doctors came to me and i am expecting to get bad news.They asked me what was going on in his life.I said the only thing is he started high school and he wrestles.They asked does he put any pressure on himself.I said with a laugh yes he hates to lose but what the heck does this have to do with what happened.They replied,they have seen this befoe and it is caused by built up stress.Now i like anyone else said come on no way did stress do that.Their reply was stress can build up in people until they release it.All people release it different but they will eventually release it.I have seen kids get exhausted and do and say things they don't normally do.One kid left practice and didn't come back for awhile.Other kids start balling crying.I have tried to console a kid and he told me to F-off.I held no ill will toward him because i knew he wasn't in his right frame of mind.Aj was mentally and physically broke that day at practice.I have had to deal with some pretty crazy things raising him.Some times i support him and sometimes i don't.When i tried to trick ranger into saying his rankings were based on behavior and not results and he brought up that day i figured i was right.Now you can say aj is cocky and arrogant and i will never say a word .I have learned to deal with it.But you cant take away from his talent as a wrestler and all the hard work he puts in.Just ask his high coach who works the hardest at practice.I get that people don't like him. Growing up i hated Mohammad Ali because he danced and ran his mouth but anytime someone ask me who was the best boxer ever it only takes me a second to reply Ali.Aj has issues and if you have a perfect kid i am envious.But he is my son and i love him and sometimes i do feel the need to take up for him.So ranger i apologize and if you keep doing the rankings i will promise to never post again.     Andy Bindner

Edited by WHS98

Well said,  I do not know AJ, nor have I had occasion to speak with him.  I have had the pleasure of watching him compete a few times, and he has conducted himself with class and dignity.  What some fail to recognize is that he is just a kid.  Growing into a man is a difficult and sometimes painful process, more often than not mistakes are made along the way.  High school is difficult enough for any kid, more so for a kid in the spotlight.  This is a great website that is read by most people interested in Ky wrestling, to include wrestlers, coaches, parents and recruiters.  My son is a few years younger than AJ, but had the opportunity to wrestle him once.  Although AJ could have embarrassed him or hurt hm, AJ simply took the win in the second period and moved on.  Good luck this season AJ, hope you wn State.

Not that my two cents matters, as we don't even live there anymore and haven't for three years. I love to get on this site and keep up with all the KY wrestlers. We are originally from KY and came back for one year a few years ago and were deeply involved in competing in KY wrestling. My son, is a decent wrestler (not great) and when we moved back that year we heard all about AJ and were informed to steer clear. Well we made our own decisions and saw both sides of the kid. He can rub you the wrong way at times BUT I will tell you he was nothing but an AMAZING friend to both of my boys. He may not put up the persona all the times but once you get past that he has a big heart and was always a great kid around us. He stood in my son's corner on several occasions when not many others did. Including this summer when we were back for vacation and our son ending up wrestling a match at the Bluegrass Games.  Even though we were originally from there, we often got the feeling that we were outsiders and never felt that way around AJ or any of his family. I wish the kid all the luck in the world and hopes he finishes his senior year by completing one of his dreams and handles it with the sportsmanship that our family knows he has. Going out on a humble high note would really be the best way to finish his amazing accomplishments he has gathered since wrestling as a youth till now. Thank you AJ for the friendship you showed Kaden and Taran always.

Things on this site can often get confrontational and emotional because OUR kids are involved. We have to remember if it wasn't for a great sport for the kids and a great sport that we are all very passionate about, this site wouldn't even exist. It has been a lot of fun to sit back and watch the success that is growing in wrestling in the state of KY from afar and it has a lot to do with the very gentlemen that get on here and banter back and forth. We have to remember we all have the same dreams and goals for our kids but it will always play out on the mat, not on a computer screen. I hope this didn't offend anyone and I wish all the wrestlers in the state of KY the best of luck moving forward.

Perry Floyd

I've met AJ on a few occasions and he's always been polite and took the time to talk to an old geezer. I know he's made mistakes but I'm thankful that my mistakes I made as a teen were not on public display. 

It's all good ,best t for kids not to say a word and let others do the talking debating and whatever it keeps everyone liking them for their efforts respect and talent ,the hype is fine just know that you back it up or get the backlash even though you will get backlash either way win or lose .Can't see him going without a title either way .If you want to make a statement make it with a devastating pin  move or win 

• Upvote 1

Did I miss something? I don't recall seeing this argument on here. I've never spoke to AJ but have observed him and he seems like a very nice young man. Absolutely nobody is immune to having a lapse in judgement, so far be it from any of us to judge him. The rankings are a double edged sword because we all love them so much and it gives us something to look forward to; but as we all know (or at least I hope we do) they don't mean a thing. Brandon Reed for instance was not even ranked in last years preseason rankings. Nobody has ever won a wrestling match on the Internet. Hope to see many more rankings to come from Ranger and Dutch. 

Edited by 385

Have to disagree somewhat .I saw a kid wrestle his first ever high school match have his opponent forfeit without him or his coach  ever seeing him wrestle a single day .without the Internet no one would know half what they do if that about their opponents .

• Upvote 1

Andy, when you brought AJ and the other kids to wrestle at washington indiana for the summer tourney 2 years ago, I thought he was a wonderful young man and conducted himself with a great attitude. However that night when his team stayed in our gym they were a little rambunctious :)

ALL THESE YOUNG WRESTLERS ARE WARRIORS AT HEART some will express themselves differently and most will change from time to time just different ways of dealing with the stress of their desires .I would rather take a bullet than lose some people are different I think AJ would rather take a bullet JMO