tja

IndianaMat Hoosier Preseason Open

The Kentucky kids seem to be showing out so far. Brackets are up on Trackwrestling I'm sure with all the ETC kids there ranger will give us a rundown of today.

Ryan Moore pins Noah Hunt from Georgia who is a pretty decent kid and will have Joshua Portillo next another tough kid 

Zane loses to Breyden Bailey very tough kid from Indiana who took third at state and was 1 point from being in the finals 

Can't give a complete run down but I will say WOW!  The KY boys did show up ready to go. Actually I should say they did more than show up they came to kick some butt. Just scan through those brackets. We beat a lot of tough tough kids and many of our losses were by inches. And I am very very confident that if we were wrestling 2-2-2 there would have been some much more favorable outcomes. I know I saw a "let me catch my breath" slash "injury" timeout in the third period of the 123 final. 

A lot of hardware came back to that ETC room and I know none of those boys are content with their results. 

I haven't gone back through the brackets in any detail (except 123 obviously) and it was pretty hectic coaching all those kids in 2 gyms, but here is some detail from what I saw on he KY kids:

Champion: Casey Cornett - pretty much demonstrated what Dutch and I talked about on the 170 announcement video, he controlled almost every match from opening whistle until the end

Runner-ups: Tylan Tucker - Coach Parks and Miller brought a big group from Woodford and coached them all day so I didn't see many of their full matches; I did see that Ty had a few wars coming through that bracket; I caught the end of a couple matches and he earned that silver medal; he was right there in the final and very easily could have been the champion

Ryan Moore - had a good day with a couple really good wins highlighted by an OT win over 2x Iowa state champ ('15 @ 126) and USA national champ Josh Portillo; same as Ty he was right there in the final and would have won it if they were running 2-2-2 matches as Decesare was gassed

Third/Fourth: Keegan Duncan - I only got to coach him once on the day, where he got back on his offense that I haven't see lately and looked like the Keegan I am used to seeing, cool calm and in total control

Zane Brown - Zane was throwing fools like always until he hit the qrtrs and lost to tough Indiana kid Bailey (who also beat Keegan in the semis); wrestled back tough to 3/4 where he forfeited to ETC teammate Duncan

One match away: Trent Johnson - brother Josh covered him most of the day so I didn't see him much, but what I have seen from him has been super impressive, kid is making jumps this summer

Mason Smith - another kid who had some battles; I think most of the kids in that 148 bracket slept very well last night as there were a few long hard matches

Brandon Reed - when this kid gets some more mat time in he has the potential to be really really good; he had the runner-up beat in OT (rear standing) and his lack of experience got him and similarly lost to 3rd placer 4-2 primarily due to inexperience

Max Andreoni - again between the Woodford coaches and Boston I didn't coach Max, but I know he lost to same tough kid twice (Silva finished 3rd); watching him and Casey push each other is impressive and exciting for our future

One last note, this tournament is no joke. Check the past brackets on track and see the list of KY state champs who have left empty handed. It happens every year. So to have 5 kids in the top 4 is super super impressive. And before someone thinks the competition was down consider this, at 123 a 2x Iowa state champ and an Ohio state runner up DNP

Brandon Reed - when this kid gets some more mat time in he has the potential to be really really good; he had the runner-up beat in OT (rear standing) and his lack of experience got him and similarly lost to 3rd placer 4-2 primarily due to inexperience

Brandon Reed is just a third year wrestler. Imagine if he had been wrestling his whole life. Im excited to see how much he improves. 

And as always; great job Team KY! So proud of how far our state has come, thanks to all the hard working coaches, kids, and parents.

Well if were going to speculate on what could of happened then the kid that made the finals at 135 finished behind aj at the grand river rumble.lol

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I haven't gone back through the brackets in any detail (except 123 obviously) and it was pretty hectic coaching all those kids in 2 gyms, but here is some detail from what I saw on he KY kids:

Champion: Casey Cornett - pretty much demonstrated what Dutch and I talked about on the 170 announcement video, he controlled almost every match from opening whistle until the end

Runner-ups: Tylan Tucker - Coach Parks and Miller brought a big group from Woodford and coached them all day so I didn't see many of their full matches; I did see that Ty had a few wars coming through that bracket; I caught the end of a couple matches and he earned that silver medal; he was right there in the final and very easily could have been the champion

Ryan Moore - had a good day with a couple really good wins highlighted by an OT win over 2x Iowa state champ ('15 @ 126) and USA national champ Josh Portillo; same as Ty he was right there in the final and would have won it if they were running 2-2-2 matches as Decesare was gassed

Third/Fourth: Keegan Duncan - I only got to coach him once on the day, where he got back on his offense that I haven't see lately and looked like the Keegan I am used to seeing, cool calm and in total control

Zane Brown - Zane was throwing fools like always until he hit the qrtrs and lost to tough Indiana kid Bailey (who also beat Keegan in the semis); wrestled back tough to 3/4 where he forfeited to ETC teammate Duncan

One match away: Trent Johnson - brother Josh covered him most of the day so I didn't see him much, but what I have seen from him has been super impressive, kid is making jumps this summer

Mason Smith - another kid who had some battles; I think most of the kids in that 148 bracket slept very well last night as there were a few long hard matches

Max Andreoni - again between the Woodford coaches and Boston I didn't coach Max, but I know he lost to same tough kid twice (Silva finished 3rd); watching him and Casey push each other is impressive and exciting for our future

instead of saying would have and could have. Lets just give ryan some props he had an outstanding tourny JOSH is tough! Big win. But give desceaser a litte credit... Hes a very talened and accomplished wrestler. If ryan was ready to beat him right now,he would be my pick to beat saul.GREAT JOB TO RYAN AND THE REST OF KENTUCKY THAT HELPED CONTINUE TO GET OUR STATE ON THE MAP FOR WRESTLING

Looks like Hurst got way down to 116. Met up with a tough kid in quarters and then lost a close one in consos.  Can't believe his weight is down there in Sept.  Those Woodford lower weights have some shuffling to do (Tylan, Hurst, Yost, Roberts) to figure out the best lineup.

Ryan Moore looks to be maybe most improved wrestler in the state. Making the finals of this tourney is HUGE.

Coach Ruff needs to be offering scholarships to try and get a home state discount because the offers for some of these kids will start rolling in soon 

I agree tja. But i will say that is the one thing i like about Lindsey Wilson they do give our ky kids a good look and even some good offers, and with the way the state is improving it only helps them also.I am going on record now and say ryan moore wins 120 .I sill think the ranking is accurate bc saul is more accomplished but i have seen the kids he wrestled this weekend many times and it was hugh.

The 2-2-2 format would have yeilded even better results for the boys.  Johnson lost in OT to a MI D1 state champ, Duncan lost to an IN 2nd or 3rd place kid in a rideout, Reiterate moore's performance above...I'm picking out guys in 6 regulation minutes in 2 out of 3 of those!  Overall really cool to see KY look that good vs "real" wrestling states.