Nike Man

Singlet vs Shorts and Shirt/MMA Gear

Call me old school but I am not a fan of how wrestling is trending towards using shorts and shirts/"MMA" gear for competitions. I like tradition and I guess I'm a little resistant to change. To me, a singlet is what should be worn for competition. I'm sure there are others out there that would take the other side of this debate. Which ever side your on, let's here some opinions.

If it builds numbers and interest, I'm ok with it. We wrestle in shorts and shirts at practice, I don't see it as a big deal. Some kids just aren't comfortable wearing a singlet, so they won't even try wrestling. It's a new time and like the Olympics showed us, evolve or be left behind

If it builds numbers and interest, I'm ok with it. We wrestle in shorts and shirts at practice, I don't see it as a big deal. Some kids just aren't comfortable wearing a singlet, so they won't even try wrestling. It's a new time and like the Olympics showed us, evolve or be left behind

Yep.  It's one of the biggest excuses I hear when recruiting wrestlers.  At the very least, MMA gear gets rid of that excuse.  It may or may not help build numbers, as I'm sure many would just latch on to some other lame excuse, but if it can help the sport grow, I'm all for it.  Just because we've always done things one way doesn't mean it's the best or the right way.

I think it's a safety thing more than anything...

Fingers and and thumbs being caught in the clothing being the issue.

Any of you who've spent time on the practice mat know this is an issue.

I didn't like training with guys who wore the mma shirts in practice, it was harder to get ahold of their shoulders; it felt slicker. But I agree with coachteater, if it builds interest because some kids don't want to wear a singlet then I think it's great. It's much harder to get fingers caught in those than regular t-shirts and shorts.

I think some wear the slick shirts rather than singlets to gain advantage .they should not be allowed nor should those dumb long pants or whatever they are .At flo they gave them Shirts and shorts for finals some still wore a singlet .it didn't seem to make a big difference but I have seen other kids we at various different shirts and its not really regulated so it's not fair and should not be allowed , what's the reasoning for wearing a shirt under your singlet or those geeky spandex looking pants .Simply because they are slick and people think it will be harder to grab or get a hold of .Shouldn't be allowed .

As for change no need for it rules are one thing clothing is another .If you want to glamorize just wear a fancy singlet .

Got to agree with you Captain America. Your last sentence sums it up for me. I really doubt participation numbers will go up if we get rid of singlets. Kids who use that excuse will have another excuse even if we went to shorts and shirts. I don't see football coaches saying hey, you don't like wearing a football helmet, no problem, here is a motorcycle helmet. Sounds rather ridiculous when you think about it.

Got to agree with you Captain America. Your last sentence sums it up for me. I really doubt participation numbers will go up if we get rid of singlets. Kids who use that excuse will have another excuse even if we went to shorts and shirts. I don't see football coaches saying hey, you don't like wearing a football helmet, no problem, here is a motorcycle helmet. Sounds rather ridiculous when you think about it.

football doesn't have the lack of participation wrestling does either. I'm just saying it's ok to evolve with the times. I prefer singlets, but I can see why kids like the other. But if they do them, they should definitely regulate them and make a standard for them
  • Upvote 1

The thing Flo does that popularizes Wrestling is their angle their flair the same thing others have tried but failed because of their all out effort and lack of looking at what's popular with kids these days .STARS ,some flash be it fake or real like reality TV in both cases .gives people more reason makes it interesting.the shorts shirt thing is actually kind of silly 90 percent of wrestlers prefer the singlet and take this exactly how I say it a singlet is just an excuse for someone who doesn't want to wrestle anyway not to wrestle they might as well say the truth .heck with that it looks tough.

The kids pump all that iron and build those massive chests,backs, biceps and legs to cover up with a pair of baggy shorts and shirt. Hit the gym and you can't wait to put on that singlet.

It's cool to the point of no gi grappling if you've ever seen the gear and watched it it'd really build a cooler and more huge popularity base

But end of the day it's easier to break rules and accommodate styles and moves

I always found it funny when patents who hated their kids watching MMA and even judged coaches who did or train it but then would order the shorts for their kids with a fat CF cage fighter on the side

Especially when some aren't educated that many really good wrestlers have migrated to MMA

End of the day I'd vote old school but you have to accept change some point in life

They really need to make it ok to wear shorts and a t-shirt i understand tradition but the amount of kids I have met who wont go out for wrestling because of a singlet is crazy. I almost didnt wrestle myself when i was in elementary school once i saw what i had to wear. There would be way more interest in wrestling if you could wear basketball shorts that aren't too big and a t shirt.  

They really need to make it ok to wear shorts and a t-shirt i understand tradition but the amount of kids I have met who wont go out for wrestling because of a singlet is crazy. I almost didnt wrestle myself when i was in elementary school once i saw what i had to wear. There would be way more interest in wrestling if you could wear basketball shorts that aren't too big and a t shirt.

There would have to be some sort of regulation. I'm not sure that a plain pair of shorts and t shirt would be good enough. Whatever it would it would still have to be somewhat sleek and tight fitting, as others have mentioned for safety purposes. I too prefer a singlet, and I also suspect that many of those that are using the singlet as an excuse not to wrestle, would find some other excuse. But again, I'm willing to try anything to help build numbers. Uniforms in other sports have continually evolved and changed with the times, and I see no reason for wrestling not to explore other options and evolve.

Uniforms in other sports have continually evolved and changed with the times, and I see no reason for wrestling not to explore other options and evolve.

Much like all the other ole timers I prefer the use of a singlet.  However if we can get more kids out because they can use a short/shirt combo then I'm all for it.  As mentioned above most wrestlers prefer singlets.  This would also probably change for those that started wearing short/shirts.  They would change to the singlet as they progress in wrestling.  

Uniforms in other sports have changed dramatically.  Just look at this weekend, basketball shorts have changed look at teh 70s and 80s compared to todays baggy long shorts they use today.

I don't really care one way or another as long as it is regulated.  Look at all the world records that fell for the 'dolphin' swim suit in the Olympics.  I'm sure it is possible to make a material that isn't 'extra slick' or something, but even with that some kids sweat more than others, some kids look half lubed when they step on the mat.  If it brings out more wrestlers so be it, as long as it is an 'accepted' material or whatever.

I think a compression style shirt could work the shorts I'm not so sure about due to injury's but maybe compression style shorts or track style shorts with compression shorts

Also one other thing i don't get is why everyone talks about safety and how singlets are so safe due too their tightness when  wrestlers are allowed to practice in shorts and t-shirts. Its like so its o.k for you to get hurt in practice and not in competition? Ill be honest i wrestled like 10 years and never seen a finger get broke in baggy clothes I know its happend but think its prolly pretty rare especially if ur shorts and shirt arent even baggy.