Sign in to follow this  

Biggest Upsets At State?

I thought Blanton wrestled awesome ...i thought kohl Dodd wrestled amazing to win the 195s. meiman did his thing and wrestled his style to win his 2nd title. Frank rone is a beast and Atm put on a show with the kick outs and take downs just shows how dominant he really is

Hope you all watched his last high school match . He's a once in a lifetime kind of wrestler.

385, I know. And you're right. It's bothering me and my son even more. I really like Critchfield and Headley. And maybe they got caught up in the moment. It was ironic because I've had this conversation with my son about illegal slams particularly. Call me a wimp but in that State Tournament situation, I really think he would have fared better had he stopped. We know our kids are tough or they'd be playing basketball, right? Lol. There's no doubt he was seeing stars.

We want our kids to do their best and when we see them suffer from an injustice we get mad. I'm guilty of it. I'm glad that I can share this on this forum though because it's played out in my head a million times since Tuesday night and there's some freedom in writing this.

Cagen wallace placing 5th at 106-Bender had a bad call at the end of his match- ref blew it

Cagen is a tough tough kid been impressed with him since I seen him at state duals. Very tough break for Bender great wrestler great kid who I would bet the house will come back ten times better next year.

385, I know. And you're right. It's bothering me and my son even more. I really like Critchfield and Headley. And maybe they got caught up in the moment. It was ironic because I've had this conversation with my son about illegal slams particularly. Call me a wimp but in that State Tournament situation, I really think he would have fared better had he stopped. We know our kids are tough or they'd be playing basketball, right? Lol. There's no doubt he was seeing stars.

We want our kids to do their best and when we see them suffer from an injustice we get mad. I'm guilty of it. I'm glad that I can share this on this forum though because it's played out in my head a million times since Tuesday night and there's some freedom in writing this.

I understand. It is a difficult spot for the coach to be in as well. But if the kids hurt you have to listen to what he's telling you. Hope he's feeling better today.

YEAH I AGREE I WAS PRETTY UPSET MYSELF LOL Austin didn't mind to much when most kids would have asked the ref wth are you talking about he simply understood that he knows ten x more than the ref and trapping a kids arm between your legs and making almost 0 attempt to improve position from bottom or even having your feet in the Mat and turtling up is stalling and the one time he did try to stand up he got lifted back to the Mat non the less some people did their homework and studied back up from the whistle to avoid tying up or getting shot "stalling " and go down quick and bundle up and go as far as locking your legs together to trap an arm on bottom , have to say that put a new twist on stalling .

In a normal match Austin would have tried a lot more tilts I think but I think they were looking for a Def pin or self inflicted pin and that wasn't worth risking .Just another thought Austin went from first match his fresh yr to the last his sr without giving up a reversal or any back points whatsoever .He never saw the lights once he has the cleanest back in KY high school history lol

IROQUOIS KID WAS MY KIND OF ATHLETE BIG STRONG AND LOOKs LIKE HE LIFTS AND TRAINs HARD WHEN HE ADDS SOME OFFENSE AND LEARNS SOME MORE WRESTLING HE WILL BE VERY GOOD INDEED , feel sorry for kids in a way but it's wrestling he's a big soph wrestling a SR legend and a few Yrs ago Austin was a fresh wrestling a SR returning champ , but win or be pinned you have to come out to win not survive , not going to discuss much anymore because Austin is a terror and you can't blame kids for trying to survive although I wouldn't coach it or stress it as a dad .

I thought it sad that the kid didn't even try to win. even if your out gunned at least you can say "I gave it my best shot"

The only time I could see this tactic being applied is in a dual meet with the team victory in the balance.

That Brandon Reed of Iroquois has improved tremendously in the 220 class. He was just learning last year and he finished third in the Tournament of Champions this year, I think.

He is going to be very good if he keeps it up.

• Upvote 1

He was strong and in shape but had little offense and stalled like I have never seen in my life .That said he can be a beast with some work and he seems to have great desire and is a good kid .Saw some pretty shady 220 wrestling Goin on it will be interesting next yr .

Personally I'm impressed with Iroquois having a finalist. Of course there was some luck in the draw, but Brandon is a great kid who works hard. And there are only 4 people on earth that can say they wrestled ATM for a state championship, none of which can say they scored much offense. And with a kid that seemingly gets better each time he steps on the mat as of now Brandon Reed wrestled the best ATM that has ever wrestled. I can't knock the kid one bit really. I agree I wish he would have wrestled to win and not stalled out so much, but he should be proud of himself for making it there, and really honored to have been the other man in ATM last high school match ever.

• Upvote 1

Did ATM wrestle patiently with Reed, or is it just that hard to do something in a match when the opponent is that conservative? Reed seemed to hold his own with his game plan by not getting rolled. Did ATM take what was given and tried to savor his last match or is it that hard to wrestle an opponent when a match goes that way?

Austin had a lot of offense probably could have kicked a bunch early as he did late scoring a few x quick thing is Reed stalled on bottom even trapping Austins leg and arm with his own legs something that shocked me when the ref let it go Austin already had 2 points for stalling more would have went into 2s.

He tried no tilts whatsoever as he was worried about a defensive pins that his coaches and others thought the refs were looking for when he ran so many in his 16_0 zip tech over Chandler .

Reed never advanced the only step Austin took back was to center and even then Reed was very slow to get up and engage another surprise , have to say it was a bit of a strange match calling Austin for stalling was very weird not sure why the ref didn't do anything about Reed laying on the mat with the bottom of his shoes towards the sky and continuously trying to trap Austins arm and leg , not blasting the kid I know Austin is a beast but that's not wrestling I'm sorry .

I WAS AT THE OTHER END OF THE Arena watching Both Yenter and Wells .

Since you ask I will be myself and give a truthful take on the subject .

I WAS WATCHING WELLS AND Hurst having seen Yenter beat Binder once already I figured he was in good shape .I had spent time talking to Binder at the Capitol classic he impressed me and I talked training with him and his coaches .I know a bit about the subject I am very limited in movement and have been for many years and I train still and have and I have worked with many people with disabilities .

ANY WHO I WAS WATCHING WELLS AND Hurst wells having been going to open mats with me and Austin some at Moeller and Prodigy and watching him impress the people in Ohio .His match was a bit tighter or at least expected to be Hurst a state champ and all but it was not Wells stepped up and did work .I kept looking way down and seeing Yenter sprawled out and in trouble earlier with Binders great tilts but from what I gather Binder locked hands a couple times and had a caution so he gave up 2 and two on multiple violations .that's that or at least what I was told .

I understand people are sensitive and have big hearts I do to and everyone booed that's fine later I found out that when Yenters mom walked up the steps people thrust their heads out and booed her , taking her to tears .Wish I would have been walking beside her so I could have knocked out some people's teeth by thrusting my head into their crap faces .She is a kind and gentle lady undeserving of trash heckling her over her son's wrestling match .Luckily I was not there I would have hated missing Austin win his four and take his place on the Pantheon of wrestling God's lol .

TANNER WORKS HARD WRESTLES ALL YEAR like Austin and Wells .those three are Real wrestlers wrestlers like a handful of others in the state .Perhaps if I would have seen the match close I would have had a real thought about it , locking hands is locking hands doesn't matter if you have one leg or two .My grandfather had one arm his whole life and half of one foot and my own arm only moves a little over 20degrees at the elbow pretty much the same for my shoulders I would do anything for anyone who asked and help anyone but rules are rules regardless of handicap .

• Downvote 1

Think Austin and a wrestler from Connor won 4 from NKY.

A look into reality is that if Johnson put as much effort into wrestling as he does football over the years he would probably have ended up at an even bigger school as a hvy with some muscle put on .Just my thoughts on him he's a good kid it seems like and knows some wrestling for sure.

How upsetting seeing a kid that could have taken top 5 lose 2 rounds before placing. Castellano should not have lost. The way he acted afterward was crazy never seen him do that since last year..

Sign in to follow this