Sign in to follow this  
Captain America

Wrestlers who excel at MMA

Rather than focus on wrestlers who play football on a wrestling forum why not focus on a sport that is more closely related to wrestling and has equal if not more Bling man for man.Coture ,Lesner ,Edger,Henderson,Many Many more started as wrestlers .Even Shamrock from way back was a High School wrestler .

Last I heard ,Cody Miskell Grant County's first state Qualifier was having a go at MMA and doing well,ATM a former Ohio Naga Youth Champ and SAM a former nationally ranked Naga competitor .Im sure there are a lot more in KY who participate and who will make the change after wrestling in HS and or College .

Thomas Campbell from Ft Campbell was and is a pretty decent fighter Steven Derr from Calloway County fought on Strikeforce XFC and ONEfc cards same organization Ben Askren fights for

Matt Hamill comes to mind. Also, Lance Palmer (4x Ohio H.S. D1 state champ, 4x AA at Ohio State). I believe Ben Askren is still at it. 2x Hodge winner, 2x Nat Champ. Matt Hughes was a badazz. Wrestling relates well to MMA.

Urijah Faber wrestled at UC Davis Chad Mendes wrestled for Cal Poly the majority of fighters at team alpha male one of the better fight camps have wrestling backgrounds.

There is only one UFC Champion without a wrestling background (Fabrico Werdum) and if Cain Velasquez wins the unification fight everyone will have wrestling backgrounds

Great stat!

Jose does not, for some reason I forgot about him which is bad because he is one of my favorite fighters. Jose is a BJJ guy with great kickboxing, Chad Mendes has a wrestling background but I don't think Mendes will ever beat Jose.

Pettis has a very small wrestling background

Can't believe I didn't mention two of my favorites. Gray Maynard and Rashad Evans. Teammates/roommates and AAs while at Michigan State. Maynard moved from Nevada (I think) to Ohio and wrestled 2 yrs for St Eds. Won a title senior year. Josh Koscheck is another wrestler (Edinboro?) turned MMA stud.

Sign in to follow this