Sign in to follow this  
B10grapple

Postponed!

Wish they move it back to Frankfort! loved the atmosphere there.. And what time will it start since its a three day event now? wrestling Start late on the 9th and finals going to be a little earlier on the 11th?

Set up only on 9th, wrestling as originally scheduled on 10th and 11th.

I think almost everyone wants to see it back in Frankfort but the KHSAA was insistent on shortning the tourny to two days (which was rediculous as other tounaments are 3 days+) and the Civic Center can't hold 8 mats.

Wow is all I can say.  

I personally hope that most of these negative comments are coming from High school kids.  I would hate to think that adults think that the KHSAA did not want the event to happen this weekend or close to this weekend.  KHSAA knows they are going to lose money now that the event is on Tue-Wed.  They did what they could in a short period of time and last minute.  

They had to get the info out as soon as possible so that cancellations could be made for this weekend and give people ample time to plan for the new date.  Many schools will not be in session until Monday or later and would not be able to get the changes needed from their school district fast enough.  Many may not know the process of getting funds for hotels, food and buses.  It usually takes a couple of days.  

Wish they move it back to Frankfort! loved the atmosphere there.. And what time will it start since its a three day event now? wrestling Start late on the 9th and finals going to be a little earlier on the 11th?

The atmosphere was great I admit.  But it was very dangerous.  The mats were to close to the stands and eventually someone was going to get hurt. 

How can anyone say that the safety of our wrestlers is the most important when the youth tournament is going as scheduled.  Is there safety not important.  This appears to be a political issue and not a safety issue.

I think the 9th is the day they setup the arena. 

The actual wrestling will begin on the 10th and finish up on the 11th. 

I think the 9th is just a day to check weight and for coaches to meet just like Feb 19th was going to be.  Still a 2 day format, 6 mats. Finals at 6pm

Meaning you won't get out of there until 10 or so at night. Now kids who are traveling quite a bit of distance will probably miss Monday - Thursday.

How can anyone say that the safety of our wrestlers is the most important when the youth tournament is going as scheduled.  Is there safety not important.  This appears to be a political issue and not a safety issue.

The youth tournament is an even bigger logistical nightmare, with close to 1000 wrestlers.  There are only a handful of venues that can accommodate those numbers, probably none of which could be booked on an upcoming Sunday on short notice.  Also, there is a contract involved, that the KSWA probably couldn't afford to break (I'm just guessing here...plantman would be able to tell you the in and outs).  Finally, there are no issues with school districts providing transportation.....the parents provide all transportation, and all wrestlers and coaches are covered under USA wrestling which keeps the KSWA out of a liability situation.  

The KHSAA has to deal with a whole bunch of issues the the KSWA doesn't have to worry about.  In other words, just because the KSWA decided to move forward with this weekend, that doesn't mean the KHSAA could have as well....the two organizations are completely different beasts.

I know it's tough, be we have stop feeling like the KHSAA has it in for wrestling.  That belief and the anger and distrust directed at that them doesn't help wrestling's cause.

• Upvote 2

The youth tournament is an even bigger logistical nightmare, with close to 1000 wrestlers.  There are only a handful of venues that can accommodate those numbers, probably none of which could be booked on an upcoming Sunday on short notice.  Also, there is a contract involved, that the KSWA probably couldn't afford to break (I'm just guessing here...plantman would be able to tell you the in and outs).  Finally, there are no issues with school districts providing transportation.....the parents provide all transportation, and all wrestlers and coaches are covered under USA wrestling which keeps the KSWA out of a liability situation.  

The KHSAA has to deal with a whole bunch of issues the the KSWA doesn't have to worry about.  In other words, just because the KSWA decided to move forward with this weekend, that doesn't mean the KHSAA could have as well....the two organizations are completely different beasts.

I know it's tough, be we have stop feeling like the KHSAA has it in for wrestling.  That belief and the anger and distrust directed at that them doesn't help wrestling's cause.

This is exactly what I am talking about.  It should not matter how big of a logistical nightmare anything would be if it had to do with safety.  You hit the nail on the head when you said "contract involved."  That is what is important here not safety.  If rescheduling an event had to do with safety then the contract could be renegotiated with out penalty.  All this talk about kids not being able to make it, so many inches of snow (which we all in Kentucky received) sounds like excuses.  To address the transportation issues.  Most parents will be bring their high school kid to this tournament just like the youth tournament.  Again sound like excuses.

This is exactly what I am talking about.  It should not matter how big of a logistical nightmare anything would be if it had to do with safety.  You hit the nail on the head when you said "contract involved."  That is what is important here not safety.  If rescheduling an event had to do with safety then the contract could be renegotiated with out penalty.  All this talk about kids not being able to make it, so many inches of snow (which we all in Kentucky received) sounds like excuses.  To address the transportation issues.  Most parents will be bring their high school kid to this tournament just like the youth tournament.  Again sound like excuses.

Maybe I missed it, but what in your mind does the KHSAA gain politically by postponing the tourney??  How do they benefit??  The very real possibility existed that if the event went ahead as scheduled, many wrestlers would not have been able to go....whether it was transportation issues or even the school district decreeing that they could not travel.  I know this isn't ideal, but if they went forward with the event, and many couldn't make it, the outcry would have been huge and the quality of the tournament severely diminished due to missing wrestlers and wrestlers who hadn't practiced much.  

The youth event doesn't have nearly the outside issues (ie school districts) to deal with, and they get an additional 3 (and for some 4) days before they have to travel.  

I have been involved in wrestling in Missouri, Kentucky, Tennessee, Florida and North Carolina for almost 50 years now.

Holy Smokes, this is the first time I have ever known a state tournament cancelled or postponed.

Absolutely Extraordinary!!!!!

My issue is not just the weight control, because teams that have a full squad will have plenty of workout partners in the wrestling room.  However, match-level conditioning will be a challenge.  IMO, An even bigger issue than that will be the time lag between competitive matches - and the risk that some kids will not be as sharp as they would have been with a series of competitions leading up to the show.

Still, part of being a champion is adapting.  Good luck between now and state, guys.

:huh:

• Upvote 1

Ill weigh in here, KHSAA made the right call. A hard decision had to be made and the pros out weigh the cons. You know wrestling is not going to overlap the Girls Sweet 16, and unlike "youth" events, most wrestlers travel by team bus, not parents because of liability. As for cutting weight, most kids are wrestling closer to natural weight than in the past. Actually this will probably raise the quality of wrestling because kids will get over injuries, bodies and minds will be fresh and will go harder. Unfortunatly the world is bigger than wrestling and we all have to fit in. 

Honestly we need to start later in the season, starting winter sports on the secon week of December and finishing on the second week of March but thats my crazy opinion and yes its because of football.

I doubt if you can compete in off season right now but I don't think this has ever happened. 

This is NOT in the best interest of the KHSAA from any standpoint, money, logistics etc.   What's done is done and quit complaining about it.  

I would be more concerned about the wrestlers, peaking out and weight control.  This could definitely have a big X factor in that the kids that have trained and are peaking at the right time, need to make adjustments quickly.  For those that have written the season off and already peaked out, time to regroup thoughts and mind set tonmake another run.  For those that have not peaked out this season, it could be your lucky day.  

Overcome adversity and the mind right.  Everyone is in the same boat!  Good luck boys.  

From what I understand representatives from Union County have reached out to the KHSAA office and offered the John Arnold Arena for next weekend. Doubt they will change what they have already set though.

not enough hotel space in Morganfield for a state tournament. 

You guys never disappoint!   No one likes the situation or the terrible roads and we are all sick of the snow!   While waiting a couple weeks isn't ideal, KHSAA had to make a decision quickly (since we are only a day away from people traveling to Lexington) in an effort to best insure the safety and ability of all competitors to compete.   I don't like the change any more than anyone... but I also don't know how much snow every city or county is dealing with.  I know my yard has about 14 inches of snow as of about 30 minutes ago and it is still snowing here.   While I may be able to get to Lexington, I don't have mountains and back roads to contend with and am only 45 minutes from the Park.   KHSAA is trying to do the best they can in a really bad and ridiculously abnormal situation.   It is done ... complaining isn't helping.   Let's be adults, show kids that shit happens and it's how you deal with it that determines a person's character... and ultimately makes the difference.  Let's look for ways to try to help the kids maintain their weight and stay in shape.   I think some open mats where ever possible would be the way to go.  Can't have competitions/duals/tournaments and take a chance kids get hurt and can't complete at state... that would really become an issue.   I am more concerned that kids without opportunities to work out won't be in their best shape at state and could get hurt.  Let's hope the Athletic Directors find gym time for the teams to practice between now and March 9th.  

On another note... the youth tournament is not a state or school sponsored/sanctioned organization.   If they choose to continue their event that's their organization's leadership decision.  Comparing the decisions they make to decisions regarding a high school state tournament is apples to oranges... move on... please!

Also... just for the record... not all schools have buses take their kids to competitions... many have parents and coaches drive the kids.  Another argument that makes no difference in the decision or discussion.

Just one Mom's opinion!

• Upvote 2

Hardly a good move ,over two weeks away and in the middle of the week what a bunch of winners Ky must have at the helm ,kids would have been happier in a HS arena on the weekend with the stands full ,horrible and yes it does happen deal with it its the :&&:& Winter in a Winter Sport

Hardly a good move ,over two weeks away and in the middle of the week what a bunch of winners Ky must have at the helm ,kids would have been happier in a HS arena on the weekend with the stands full ,horrible and yes it does happen deal with it its the :&&:& Winter in a Winter Sport

Except no high school gym could accommodate the number of mats or the fans, and people would complain about how crowded and hot it was, and that it took so long to finish.  

• Upvote 2

I personally think this is another direct reflection of our current leadership from KHSAA.  KHSAA knows they will make money either way.  Not as much maybe during the week, but money will be made.  It’s just sad that we are doing it during a time that doesn’t allow those people that attend every year to be in attendance, and maybe those who don’t have kids in it-but attend will not be able to do so because it’s during the middle of the week.  Schools will not allow kids to attend either, unless they are competing.  It’s not like basketball & football those that choose to attend will have to say they are sick or have parent notes.  Find it funny in all they years I have been a part of wrestling, that the things that I currently see have shown that our current KHSAA leader doesn’t care to speak up for what is right for our sport.  For those that remember, it’s that same leader that decided to have multiple mats go at the same time during the finals.  Is that what is good for wrestling?  He thought it was and he is in charge of our sport.  Its only going to get worse, I’m afraid.  If we are going to make a difference where it counts, it will have to be by voicing your opinion to those that can decide, those in charge of our sport.  I’m not saying the state tournament shouldn’t have been pushed back.  I’m saying that to put it in a spot that spectators and competitors are forced to wait another three weeks, along with being in the middle of the school/work week is not in the best interest of the sport.  Our new leadership does what it wants! Don’t be fooled into thinking different, why else does he continue to cancel the Coaches meeting every year since he has been in office?  Never fails same tune different year, don’t want to hear what a crappy job he is doing from those that are a part of the sport.  Afraid to say that, until this is changes, these are the DARK AGES OF WRESTLING…..

Tuesday/Wednesday really sucks! I get why it's been postponed, just really hate the mid week dates. Very unfair to kids, parents, and idle wrestling fans. I'd love some real transparency as to why another venue couldn't be used on a Friday/Saturday within the next couple weeks. Also, how could a contingency plan not be in place for a February event. Yes they made decisions on the fly, but why did they have to in he first place? Did I mention Tuesday/Wednesday sucks?!?!

• Upvote 1

I personally think this is another direct reflection of our current leadership from KHSAA.  KHSAA knows they will make money either way.  Not as much maybe during the week, but money will be made.  It’s just sad that we are doing it during a time that doesn’t allow those people that attend every year to be in attendance, and maybe those who don’t have kids in it-but attend will not be able to do so because it’s during the middle of the week.  Schools will not allow kids to attend either, unless they are competing.  It’s not like basketball & football those that choose to attend will have to say they are sick or have parent notes.  Find it funny in all they years I have been a part of wrestling, that the things that I currently see have shown that our current KHSAA leader doesn’t care to speak up for what is right for our sport.  For those that remember, it’s that same leader that decided to have multiple mats go at the same time during the finals.  Is that what is good for wrestling?  He thought it was and he is in charge of our sport.  Its only going to get worse, I’m afraid.  If we are going to make a difference where it counts, it will have to be by voicing your opinion to those that can decide, those in charge of our sport.  I’m not saying the state tournament shouldn’t have been pushed back.  I’m saying that to put it in a spot that spectators and competitors are forced to wait another three weeks, along with being in the middle of the school/work week is not in the best interest of the sport.  Our new leadership does what it wants! Don’t be fooled into thinking different, why else does he continue to cancel the Coaches meeting every year since he has been in office?  Never fails same tune different year, don’t want to hear what a crappy job he is doing from those that are a part of the sport.  Afraid to say that, until this is changes, these are the DARK AGES OF WRESTLING…..

You must not have been around in the 80's when the state tourney was held at a high school.  Not to mention that the high school it was held in did NOT have a team, or that school was still in session when the tourney was going on. 

Also wrestling was on the brink of not being sanctioned by KHSAA, the number of schools were bordering the minimum required to sanction the sport. (Truth be told they were probably below the minimum but some schools said they had wrestling but did not field a team all year)

Those were the DARK AGES OF WRESTLING.  

You must not have been around in the 80's when the state tourney was held at a high school.  Not to mention that the high school it was held in did NOT have a team, or that school was still in session when the tourney was going on. 

Also wrestling was on the brink of not being sanctioned by KHSAA, the number of schools were bordering the minimum required to sanction the sport. (Truth be told they were probably below the minimum but some schools said they had wrestling but did not field a team all year)

Those were the DARK AGES OF WRESTLING.  

I was present in the 80's.  School was blocked off from the tournament, the gym was to the left as you walk into Athens school.   Along with the school not having kids wrestling in tournament, they still held it on the weekend. Kids, parents, wrestlers, fans, and whoever could attend.  This is a poor attempt to just say they tried.  You can't honestly agree that a Tuesday/Wednesday Tournament is worse then the 80's wrestling?  Better yet Wrestler from the 80's, the question I have for you is... how many mats were used in the finals of the 70's, 80's, 90's, 2000's.  It wasn't until last year that anyone considered doing it on multiple mats.  Even then, they still understood the greatness these young men achieved, and how important it was.  So, yes this would be the DARK AGES not based off numbers, but rather the people in charge looking at this as one thing to check off their list before the real winter sport takes place.

• Upvote 1

Sign in to follow this