Sign in to follow this  
B10grapple

Postponed!

So they moved it two weeks ahead AND it will be a Tuesday and Wednesday? Terrible coordination IMO. Should move it to a different venue next weekend instead. Horse Park will see about a quarter of the crowd they would see normally and that normal isnt that great to begin with. Get rid of the Horse Park its a POS anyways, and not meant for wrestling .

The next three weeks will be a grind for some but in my opinion the right decision was made. The safety of all and the ability for all those who deserve to wrestle to get that chance is well received at least by me.

I have to disagree with this decision. I know many wrestlers already had important plans for these dates and being in the middle of the week will definitely drop attendance. I understand that there is no perfect solution, but I think the only thing worse than this would be cancelling it altogether. 

Congratulations KHSAA.  You did something right.  Postponement was the best option available.  This allows all kids who qualified to attend the event.  

Yes attendance may be down, but its not about the attendance its about all the kids getting to compete.  

Pinned500 What important plans could they have on Tue-Wed?  They should be in school most of those two days. What would you have them do? Continue to wrestle without about 25% of the kids being able to compete? 

Fuc* khsaa no back bones pos committee men.

So what were they supposed to do??  The sheer size of this event doesn't give you very many options.  Since they have no control over the weather, they are pretty much at the mercy of whatever venue that accommodate the event, and whatever dates they have available.  I think they've done the best they could with the lousy situation they were presented with.

I know multiple wrestlers who had already paid for class trips during that week or had planned college visits. All i'm saying is that delaying it for this long brings up a lot of problems that I don't think were thought through. I'm sure there are plenty of wrestlers who were struggling to keep their weight down that now have to wait for 3 more weeks.

I could be wrong but I'd say they went with the easiest solution instead of working for the best solution. 3 weeks that's a long wait... But I could be wrong it's just my opinion. I can bet though that if it was the sweet 16 we was talking about they would be doing much more

This was a real bad decision, especially to have it in the middle of the week.  Everyone now has to change hotel reservations, request different times off of work, kids have to watch there weight longer.  This is all because some school could not practice this week. This is absurd.  This is also going to lower attendance and prevent some kids from going as their parents may not be able to get off of work.

Thank you CoachTeater for clearing that up. I am a coach on all 3 levels and Tackett blaming the KYWCA needs to be explained. For the commissioner to say that, and it not be true, calls for action. I am sure the KYWCA would have made arrangements to have the High School tourney. Tackett sucks!!

• Downvote 1

1.Sometimes I wish people in the wrestling community would get out of their own little bubble.

2.The safety of the wrestlers, fans, families and communities far outweigh the postponement of the state tournament.

3.To speak on something mentioned above, if a school district cancels all activities then athletes can not compete. If a school district were to sanction their athletes traveling in dangerous weather and something were to happen they could be held liable for that issue. It also wouldn't matter if an athlete made it or not, without a coach those athletes wouldn't be allowed to compete and I promise you if a coach defied that order they would be fired by the district in an instant.

4. For as much grief as we give the KHSAA they are not devoid of intelligent people do you think if a district banned their athletes from activities they wouldn't know????  Oh that's ok kid you are "champion" get out there and compete with no coach etc...

5. The KHSAA is under the control of the Kentucky Department of Education and they could be held liable as well.

The right decision for ALL was made. If you don't like it, that's just too bad.

• Upvote 2

Does this also mean that the youth tournament that is supposed to take place on Sunday is not going on a scheduled?  If our high school kids cannot make a tournament for Friday & Saturday then how will the youth make it Sunday?  Just a question.

This was a real bad decision, especially to have it in the middle of the week.  Everyone now has to change hotel reservations, request different times off of work, kids have to watch there weight longer.  This is all because some school could not practice this week. This is absurd.  This is also going to lower attendance and prevent some kids from going as their parents may not be able to get off of work.

It's not just some schools, it's nearly every school in the state, some of which are dealing with big amounts of snow.  Sure some could have probably made it this weekend, but there would have been many that would have not been able to whether by being still snowed in, or not being allowed by the school district.  Also there is potentially more snow coming this weekend.  Yes attendance will be lower, but at least everyone will be able to compete.  I'd guess there weren't many options when trying to reschedule an event this large.

Does this also mean that the youth tournament that is supposed to take place on Sunday is not going on a scheduled?  If our high school kids cannot make a tournament for Friday & Saturday then how will the youth make it Sunday?  Just a question.

The youth tournament has the venue on Sunday and didn't want to move.

We tried to work cooperatively with another event that is scheduled for Sunday and rearrange schedules, but that group was unwilling to move, leaving us very few options.

Youth teams are club teams and are not bound by school decisions. These are parents driving their kids wherever they need to go in order to compete. 

The postponement was the right choice however the date was a bad one.. now kids will miss 2 days of school or have to decide between another school activity or compete at state. It should have been kept as a Friday and Saturday deal

Update posted in the youth forum. 

I understand re scheduling because of safety but 3 weeks out and then decide to do it during the week. Really Do they not think that family's have to work during the week!! It sounds to me like they did not make any effort to find a alternate Venue. In fact the Kentucky convention center is Huge and could hold 8 mats easy. They normally have several events going on at the same time and I am sure they could have handle it.

1.Sometimes I wish people in the wrestling community would get out of their own little bubble.

2.The safety of the wrestlers, fans, families and communities far outweigh the postponement of the state tournament.

3.To speak on something mentioned above, if a school district cancels all activities then athletes can not compete. If a school district were to sanction their athletes traveling in dangerous weather and something were to happen they could be held liable for that issue. It also wouldn't matter if an athlete made it or not, without a coach those athletes wouldn't be allowed to compete and I promise you if a coach defied that order they would be fired by the district in an instant.

4. For as much grief as we give the KHSAA they are not devoid of intelligent people do you think if a district banned their athletes from activities they wouldn't know????  Oh that's ok kid you are "champion" get out there and compete with no coach etc...

5. The KHSAA is under the control of the Kentucky Department of Education and they could be held liable as well.

The right decision for ALL was made. If you don't like it, that's just too bad.

tumblr_inline_mg17fuLBlg1rs.gif

• Upvote 1

Wish they move it back to Frankfort! loved the atmosphere there.. And what time will it start since its a three day event now? wrestling Start late on the 9th and finals going to be a little earlier on the 11th?

Sign in to follow this