Sign in to follow this  
NO-OX 1

SNOW!!!

Imagine there are some kids in the hills of east Ky very happy to see the state considered their situations and didnt just ignore their condition like politicians and decision makers often do.

Now I have one question....will teams be able to compete these next two weeks? Maybe schedule a dual tourney with some nearby teams? Or is the season over until March 10?

There really is no good solution here, and I guess all the kids are in the same boat but.....

It does stink if you had a kid that was peaking at the right time, now has to cool his jets and wait. (Talk about a momentum killer.)

Would love to see us get a dual, or at least a dual practice with some live wrestling, but nothing can simulate live matches. Then you have to worry about possible injuries, etc. On the other front, if someone is banged up. they have time to heal now. 

Injuries could also happen at practice anyway, but well, you know what i'm saying. Just stinks all the way around. 

Official Page

http://khsaa.org/021815-state-wrestling-tournament-postponed/

02/18/15 – State Wrestling Tournament Postponed

February 18, 2015 2014-2015 News Releases

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: February 18, 2015

In the interest of the safety and welfare of our competitors, coaches, workers and officials, and to ensure that participation experience for the student-athletes is optimal, the KHSAA has postponed the State Wrestling Championships, originally scheduled for February 19-21, until March 9-11.

“KHSAA State events are large-scale undertakings, and with the expansion of the State Tournament several years ago, we are very limited in options for holding the event,” said Commissioner Julian Tackett. “We absolutely have to be able to put down at least eight mats to get the tournament completed in two days, and that in and of itself limits our options. We are thankful our hosting partners at the Alltech Arena on the grounds of the Kentucky Horse Park were able to work out new dates. We tried to work cooperatively with another event that is scheduled for Sunday and rearrange schedules, but that group was unwilling to move, leaving us very few options.”

KHSAA Assistant Commissioner Michael Barren, who oversees the sport of Wrestling, added, “we have been able in very short order to rebook the large block of rooms we use at the official headquarters, and reschedule vendors and secure the arena on the first available three-day period for that facility. It was critical in working with the Commissioner that we make this decision as early as possible in the interest of the safety and welfare of our competitors, coaches, workers and officials. We will allow a one pound growth allowance for each of the weight classes in an additional effort to accommodate this postponement.”

Tackett stated that a great many options were reviewed before finalizing this move. “These championships are years in the making and scheduling, and it isn’t easy to simply move any of them. I know that Mike (Barren) and his tournament staff will work with the folks at Alltech Arena to get things moved in on March 9, and utilize the regular schedule for March 10 and 11, as we work to get this event completed and allow the students their well-earned opportunity to compete. I am sure from the micro-view of the many constituents, there will be second guessing and other alternatives suggested, but my job, and that of our office, is to weigh all of the factors and make the best decision we can for the entire state. The one pound growth allowance would have been a problem in the past, but with the emphasis on safe weight management, the wrestlers are required to be at or near their normal weight and should be able to maintain without issues. It will be difficult for our office to manage this event nearly simultaneously with the start of our girls’ basketball tournament, but we have successfully managed overlapping events before and will call on our legions of volunteers and workers to ensure that both events are first class for the students and all involved.”

The problem I have is that everyone is looking out for their high school wrestler.  Yes the event has been moved, but how fair is that to those that have been watching their weight, going to a gym, finding a place to work on some moves.  Was this event moved because of the safety of our kids, I think not.  As the youth tournament is still going on as scheduled.  No one seems to be worried about them.  It appears that this was a political decision and not a safety decision.  

The problem I have is that everyone is looking out for their high school wrestler.  Yes the event has been moved, but how fair is that to those that have been watching their weight, going to a gym, finding a place to work on some moves.  Was this event moved because of the safety of our kids, I think not.  As the youth tournament is still going on as scheduled.  No one seems to be worried about them.  It appears that this was a political decision and not a safety decision.  

So then why do you think it was moved??  What political benefit would the KHSAA get out of moving the tournament??  As I said in another thread, the youth tournament is a day later, and a whole other, much bigger, logistical nightmare than the high school tournament.  Something had to be done.  A good percentage of the state  is going to be off school all week, with little to no organized practice.  Weight, even with a 1lb allowance was going to be a potential problem.  Moving the event back allows the athletes to get back into peak form and manage their weight much easier.  I think what we would have seen this weekend had the event gone on as scheduled,  would have been several wrestlers missing weight, and not everybody in top form.  That's not fair to the wrestlers or to spectators.  If the KHSAA wanted to kill wrestling or didn't care about it, then I think they would have moved forward as scheduled.

So then why do you think it was moved??  What political benefit would the KHSAA get out of moving the tournament??  As I said in another thread, the youth tournament is a day later, and a whole other, much bigger, logistical nightmare than the high school tournament.  Something had to be done.  A good percentage of the state  is going to be off school all week, with little to no organized practice.  Weight, even with a 1lb allowance was going to be a potential problem.  Moving the event back allows the athletes to get back into peak form and manage their weight much easier.  I think what we would have seen this weekend had the event gone on as scheduled,  would have been several wrestlers missing weight, and not everybody in top form.  That's not fair to the wrestlers or to spectators.  If the KHSAA wanted to kill wrestling or didn't care about it, then I think they would have moved forward as scheduled.

The political part is that some regions were complaining that there kids would not be able to wrestle.  Since this is a winter sport things like this happen.  It does not matter if kids are off school.  There are still places to workout.  How come the coaches did not get permission to use the facilities (exceptions can be made).  If a wrestler knows that they have to be at a certain weight why would they need an allowance.  The weight allowance is abused anyway, but that is a different discussion.  Why would a wrestler know that the State Tournament was coming up need to get back in to peak form.  They should stay in peak form (other places to workout and exercise.  Again these are all excuses.  If we would have seen wrestlers miss weight, then that would have been their own fault.  As high school wrestler they should know what needs to be done to make weight no matter what the weather is.  If they don't make weight they don't wrestle, this should not be any different than any other tournament.  This is fair to wrestlers and spectators as it would be the wrestlers responsibility, just like any other tournament.  Making weight and the weather is the nature of the sport.  Quit making excuses to accommodate the few.

There are several pro's and con's for each decision of going forward or postponing. I can see if they went forward many of the athletes

would be absent, you would have a watered down tournament and have no clear champions. postponing for 3 weeks is also ridiculus.

If you are going to hold the tournament on a tuesday or a wednesday anyway, why not next week?  or the first available time the arena is not in use? 3 weeks is just such a long time for many to hold weight

The political part is that some regions were complaining that there kids would not be able to wrestle.  Since this is a winter sport things like this happen.  It does not matter if kids are off school.  There are still places to workout.  How come the coaches did not get permission to use the facilities (exceptions can be made).  If a wrestler knows that they have to be at a certain weight why would they need an allowance.  The weight allowance is abused anyway, but that is a different discussion.  Why would a wrestler know that the State Tournament was coming up need to get back in to peak form.  They should stay in peak form (other places to workout and exercise.  Again these are all excuses.  If we would have seen wrestlers miss weight, then that would have been their own fault.  As high school wrestler they should know what needs to be done to make weight no matter what the weather is.  If they don't make weight they don't wrestle, this should not be any different than any other tournament.  This is fair to wrestlers and spectators as it would be the wrestlers responsibility, just like any other tournament.  Making weight and the weather is the nature of the sport.  Quit making excuses to accommodate the few.

So just to be clear, you have no issues with kids being snow bound and unable to travel??  And no issues with kids who couldn't practice?  I know even here in Kenton County, all activities were prohibited (yes even basketball, where some senior nights were cancelled).  I'd guess most kids don't have access to mats if they can't get into the school.  In this case, I don't think they were going out the way to accommodate the few.  I think a very high percentage of schools and participants are affected.  Every program in Northern Ky has been affected, and we didn't have it nearly as bad as many other portions of the state.  I just don't see how "politics" plays a role in this.  And I just don't see how anything is gained or how the tournament would be so much better by holding it this weekend despite all of the negative circumstances.

From what I understand representatives from Union County have reached out to the KHSAA office and offered the John Arnold Arena for next weekend. Doubt they will change what they have already set though.

Nothing like a 7 hour trip (on a bus) and no place to stay to hold the Ky state tourney. 

Talk about having no one in attendance, even fewer would travel to the far reaches of the state. 

Bout sick of hearing the weight allowance bull. If you are a varsity wrestler an have made it to the state tourney and can't find a way to maintain your weight for 5 days then maybe you shouldn't have cut down so far in the first place. Just sayin

• Upvote 1

Really!    Tuesday and a Wednesday?  Going to be hard for a lot of Parents, friends and fans to attend to support these kids who have worked their butts off.  Most school systems do not let their schools off for the Tournament.  And Colleges definitely do not, so there goes our past participants and  siblings attendance.   As to  "Champions will get there if they really want to",  that is not fair.  Coaches are employees of School Boards and have to follow guidelines.  Also most of Kentucky is rural and the cold temperatures have complicated matters.  Side roads are not a priority for road crews and like most people in this state, I do not own a 4-wheel drive.  Even if the road has been cleared there is also a wind advisory so some roads are getting blowing snow.  The sun melts snow on side of road,  once the sun retreats, can  cause black ice to form. Safety, yes, is a major issue to even get out of driveways and hills.  Situation stinks though but am  glad they get to wrestle  but  sticking it on a mid week time-frame not cool.                                                                                                         

Youth tournament is not school related.

Mid week defiantly sucks!! Think of the parents and fans that travel every weekend to watch there child countless miles driven an hours spent in a gym. Some of those will now not be able to attend the grand finale that everyone has been waiting on. I know a good quick solution was prob a nightmare to come up with but during the week just blows especially if you live 3-4 hrs away

I just drove to work today, one hour away. Took me an hour and a half during the morning commute. Came back home. No issues. It snows and the world's coming to an end.

Really a Tuesday and a Wednesday.  Going to be hard for a lot of Parents, friends and fans to attend to support these kids who have worked their butts off.  Most school systems do not let their schools off for the Tournament.  And Colleges definitely do not, so there goes our past participants and  siblings attendance.   As to  "Champions will get there if they really want to",  that is not fair.  Coaches are employees of School Boards and have to follow guidelines.  Also most of Kentucky is rural the cold temperatures have complicated matters.  Side roads are not a priority for road crews and like most people in this state, I do not own a 4-wheel drive.  Safety yes is a major issue to even get out of driveways and hills.  Situation stinks but  sticking it on a mid week time-frame not cool.

Again, mid week while not the best option, was the only option.  The horsepark is booked for the next several weekends.  And almost every sport holds tournament games during the day (including wrestling as the tourney always starts on Friday)....basketball, volleyball etc.  This option is much better than no tourney at all.

Well that stinks!  Oh well who needs fans anyway.

GOO question you may be able to answer

Has there ever been a wrestling state title won in MARCH?

I believe Ohio's state tourney is in March

Was there ANY solution that would have made all parties happy? No. I'm sure the kids from the eastern half of the state are thankful of this decision because of the amount of snow received, coupled by the limited resources available to clear the roads would've spelled doom for them if they continued with the tournament this weekend. Good for them. So Johnny has to maintain his weight for a little while longer. Big deal. These kids that earned their way to the big show deserve just as much of the opportunity to participate as the others who live in more urban areas. 3 weeks is a lot of time, I'll grant that. Having it during the week does suck. But when you give everyone the same chance, we all need to pull together and make it work. Everyone is in the same boat with no scheduled competitions, limited practicing and maintaining weight. At least everyone now has a chance to compete. Isn't that what really matters? Just pray we don't have another similar weather situation on our hands then. If so, all hell is gonna break loose.

Well that stinks!  Oh well who needs fans anyway.

GOO question you may be able to answer

Has there ever been a wrestling state title won in MARCH?

Wow now that was a good question.  I never researched this until today.

My findings. I found the dates of every state tourney except 64,65,73,84,and 86.  (Was not born in 64-65) (I was only in the 1st grade in 73 and didn't know anything about wrestling yet) (84,85 I could probably find if I search my records hard enough)

The earliest state tourney I found was in 1980 on Feb 8th and 9th

The latest was in 2004 was held on Feb 26th, 27th, and 28th.  (Since this is a leap year even if the tourney lasted past midnight it still finished in Feb.)

The one interesting thing I found was that in 1967 it looks like it was a 3 day tourney.  (Can any of the even older farts than me confirm this)

So we are making history this year, every single state champ and placer as well as the team champ will be forever in the history books of KY wrestling!  I like this idea.

Thanks GOO

Well I've run into a road block.    I have everything that I aquired (I've been in KY wrestling since 1982) and everything KHSAA has (Complete brackets back to 71, partial back to 65) and its not but about 70% complete.  That may be a passing grade in most schools but its only a "D" or low "C" grade.  Not good enough.

The only options I have left are.

1.  Getting some records from teams that have been around in the 60's (I have tried with little success)

2.  Getting newspaper results.  (This is my last resort, its a painstaking process). 

Sign in to follow this