Sign in to follow this  
NO-OX 1

SNOW!!!

I am thinking if the tournament is going to go forward the KHSAA needs to communicate with every district asking for an exception to the no school no activity rule. That to me is the biggest issue. If Jefferson bullitt Oldham and surrounding schools don't have school they can't participate. That's where I see a huge communication issue with KHSAA. Wrestling is going to happen so let's see what we can do to get these boys to the tournament

Oh the irony! If there is no state tournament this year, then there is no 4 time undefeated high school state champ at 220...

I know that is a comment towards his dad but that kid (Austin) works his butt off everyday with sometimes extra practices and lifting and that comment may be deserving to his dad but not Austin.

I am thinking if the tournament is going to go forward the KHSAA needs to communicate with every district asking for an exception to the no school no activity rule. That to me is the biggest issue. If Jefferson bullitt Oldham and surrounding schools don't have school they can't participate. That's where I see a huge communication issue with KHSAA. Wrestling is going to happen so let's see what we can do to get these boys to the tournament

That might be difficult to do with nobody there to answer the phone or email though.

Quit bi****** everyone will find a way to get there. The kids are ready to wrestle and already thinking about state this weekend. The show is a go. See everyone at the horsepark!!

Come hell or high-water my kid will be there. Even if it takes me awhile to get there, it will happen. I am very surprised about the 1lb allowance, but I am not telling my son. We have found ways to get work in this week. I just can wrap my head around the amount of work it would take to reschedule this event. With 32 man brackets for all weight classes we would need to use 3-4 gyms to make it happen.

KHSAA just officially announced the tournament was postponed until March 10 - 11.  I actually applaud the KHSAA for making the move and give them kudos for the gutsy call.  Can't say the same thing for the youth state tournament which refused to move from Sunday.  In the end though I think this is the best solution.

http://khsaa.org/021815-state-wrestling-tournament-postponed/

Good job KHSAA.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: February 18, 2015

In the interest of the safety and welfare of our competitors, coaches, workers and officials, and to ensure that participation experience for the student-athletes is optimal, the KHSAA has postponed the State Wrestling Championships, originally scheduled for February 19-21, until March 9-11.

“KHSAA State events are large-scale undertakings, and with the expansion of the State Tournament several years ago, we are very limited in options for holding the event,” said Commissioner Julian Tackett. “We absolutely have to be able to put down at least eight mats to get the tournament completed in two days, and that in and of itself limits our options. We are thankful our hosting partners at the Alltech Arena on the grounds of the Kentucky Horse Park were able to work out new dates. We tried to work cooperatively with another event that is scheduled for Sunday and rearrange schedules, but that group was unwilling to move, leaving us very few options.”

KHSAA Assistant Commissioner Michael Barren, who oversees the sport of Wrestling, added, “we have been able in very short order to rebook the large block of rooms we use at the official headquarters, and reschedule vendors and secure the arena on the first available three-day period for that facility. It was critical in working with the Commissioner that we make this decision as early as possible in the interest of the safety and welfare of our competitors, coaches, workers and officials. We will allow a one pound growth allowance for each of the weight classes in an additional effort to accommodate this postponement.”

Tackett stated that a great many options were reviewed before finalizing this move. “These championships are years in the making and scheduling, and it isn’t easy to simply move any of them. I know that Mike (Barren) and his tournament staff will work with the folks at Alltech Arena to get things moved in on March 9, and utilize the regular schedule for March 10 and 11, as we work to get this event completed and allow the students their well-earned opportunity to compete. I am sure from the micro-view of the many constituents, there will be second guessing and other alternatives suggested, but my job, and that of our office, is to weigh all of the factors and make the best decision we can for the entire state. The one pound growth allowance would have been a problem in the past, but with the emphasis on safe weight management, the wrestlers are required to be at or near their normal weight and should be able to maintain without issues. It will be difficult for our office to manage this event nearly simultaneously with the start of our girls’ basketball tournament, but we have successfully managed overlapping events before and will call on our legions of volunteers and workers to ensure that both events are first class for the students and all involved.”

– KHSAA –

Moving to a Tuesday Wednesday is poor judgement on KHSAA part. Cut the contract with the POS arena and get a different facility. IMO they should have kept it this weekend. Champions find a way to get things done. The champions and kids that will be on the podium i can guarentee would get to lexington on time for weigh ins if it were this weekend.

Moving to a Tuesday Wednesday is poor judgement on KHSAA part. Cut the contract with the POS arena and get a different facility. IMO they should have kept it this weekend. Champions find a way to get things done. The champions and kids that will be on the podium i can guarentee would get to lexington on time for weigh ins if it were this weekend.

Not if the school district says no.

So what if a school district says no because they will be missing school 2 more days after this week of no school. Dont be soft. Champions would find a way

If the school district says they can't compete, they can't compete it has nothing to do with being a champion. If you took the time to research things instead of speaking from a place of ignorance it might make sense to you.

If the school district says they can't compete, they can't compete it has nothing to do with being a champion. If you took the time to research things instead of speaking from a place of ignorance it might make sense to you.

Alright bud, could you please provide the documentation so that we could all learn something today?

Imagine there are some kids in the hills of east Ky very happy to see the state considered their situations and didnt just ignore their condition like politicians and decision makers often do.

Now I have one question....will teams be able to compete these next two weeks? Maybe schedule a dual tourney with some nearby teams? Or is the season over until March 10?

This just sucks in general. I get it having to postpone, but I'm sick because maybe this was a missed opportunity to get out of that awful arena.....for good! Also, speaks volumes about KHSAA that they ignored input from the coaches association yet again!

Just read the press release again. Pitiful excuses "We tried to work cooperatively with another event that is scheduled for Sunday and rearrange schedules, but that group was unwilling to move, leaving us with very few options." Or "It will be difficult for our office to manage this event nearly simultaneously with the start of our girls' basketball tournament, but we have successfully managed overlapping events before and will call on our legions of volunteers and workers to ensure that both events are first class for the students and all involved."

I would hope the KYWCA would have some insight on this as I am sure most of the first quote was fabricated. Do 4 games of a sweet sixteen(sixteen pre determined teams) in Bowling Green really have more prestige than a 32 man/14 bracket/88 team tournament going on in Lexington? What a D!@K!!

I agree with safety, well being of individuals, but don't make BS excuses or blame someone else. And last I checked the wrestlers, coaches, officials, and table workers were the necessary parts of the tournament not Julian Tackett!

This just sucks in general. I get it having to postpone, but I'm sick because maybe this was a missed opportunity to get out of that awful arena.....for good! Also, speaks volumes about KHSAA that they ignored input from the coaches association yet again!

If there's a contract in place (I'm guessing there is) then switching venues is most likely not an option as long as the arena is willing to offer an alternate date.

I agree it sucks in general...it's a no-win situation for everyone.

epic storm....give me a break.

LOL first paragrpah on the most well-respected weather blog in the state:

We are in the middle of one of the worst weeks of winter weather on record for the bluegrass state of Kentucky. Additional snows today are adding to a near record snowpack for many. Blowing and drifting snow is a problem, and now we have record shattering cold moving in.

http://kyweathercenter.com/

you go outside much bud?

Sign in to follow this