Sign in to follow this  
NO-OX 1

SNOW!!!

Totally agree, but how can that happen?  The lack of communication coming from KHSAA is frankly astounding to me.  I would like to see KHSAA participation rules.  It's nice there has been a 1lb allowance communicated but how much of a problem would the weight be by now anyway.  I know many people are worried about the weight but particpants missing because of weight won't come close to the particpants missing because of the snow.  At this point I'd prefer to wait a week and use a high school with a secondary gym or something to get 6 mats.  At least that way there won't be an asterisk next to the record books for kids that place.

Perhaps you should have a clue about what your talking about before posting.

I have been on the phone 3 times this morning with KHSAA working on all possibility of having the event, changing dates, moving the youth state tournament date so that HS can have it Sunday, any and all options.  What information do you want when there is really none to give at this time.  

Leave the logistical work to those that actually have a clue on how to do it.  

• Upvote 1

I guess 14 inches of snow wasn't enough. Eastern Kentucky is getting another 2-4 inches today. With dangerous temps tomorrow this really puts region 8 in a tough spot.

Gee I don't know...how about the exact thing you just said...the KHSAA is looking into all possibilities along with a decision making time frame.  Not everyone lives in Lexington, has readily available transportation, a place to stay...or maybe some people will need to move reservations so they are not charged an extra night's stay etc.  My comment would never had been made if something, anything, had been put out there...even if it's relatively uninformative statement you just made.  How hard would that have been?  Can you imagine if this was a basketball discussion board and it was the high school sweet 16 in jeopardy?  I'm sure in one of your three phone conversations this morning it has already been discussed a decision making time frame.  I have a lot of logistics as well as project management experience since you seem keen to attack my 'resume'.  The main error of this type of situation is lack of communication.  Even if you haven't been able to make changes yet, I would be very surprised if you haven't discused a time frame for when those decisions for changes would need to be made in order to be successful.  It wouldn't hurt at all to put something out there along the lines of the KHSAA is examining the situation, final decisions to be made will be announced by 5pm Thursday or something.  Please channel all input/concerns via email to (set up an email address specific to this event).  That isn't a lot to ask.  I'm sure all involved are under a lot of stress and are fielding more input that can be organized and useful.  That being said, a simple communication probably would have prevented a lot of that in the first place.

• Upvote 1

If the KHSAA does not/cannot change dates, I bet it would not be because Alltech would not refund the money. In my dealings with them, Alltech has been a great corporate citizen.

Anyway, would the contract be with Alltech or the horse park?

If the KHSAA does not/cannot change dates, I bet it would not be because Alltech would not refund the money. In my dealings with them, Alltech has been a great corporate citizen.

Anyway, would the contract be with Alltech or the horse park?

Alltech owns naming rights to the Arena. The Kentucky Horse Park is the power in this situation.

I already have kids that are saying they might not be able to attend because of parent decisions. Very good kids. If KHSAA loses money so what. I have been a business owner for 30 years, I've lost money on several occasions. Reschedule!!!!

How about we cut the decision-makers some slack, folks?  Anyone who's ever been involved in any type of large-scale logistics planning has got to realize this is a nightmare of epic proportions.  Rather than put out updates which could change, (I would guess) they're doing everything possible to get things right before they broadly communicate anything...sounds like a wise choice to me.  They've already posted a couple of updates on the KHSAA website and I imagine they'll keep doing that whenever they make any other decisions.  Maybe we should all try to sit tight & think positive.

Re:  the hotels, try giving them a call to ask about their cancellation/re-schedule policy.  I was pleasantly surprised when I called mine...you may be, too!

I'd hate it, but imo they would cancel it before they would reschedule. Just a bad situation. Hoping for the best, but don't have alot of faith in the khsaa at this point

How about we cut the decision-makers some slack, folks? Anyone who's ever been involved in any type of large-scale logistics planning has got to realize this is a nightmare of epic proportions. Rather than put out updates which could change, (I would guess) they're doing everything possible to get things right before they broadly communicate anything...sounds like a wise choice to me. They've already posted a couple of updates on the KHSAA website and I imagine they'll keep doing that whenever they make any other decisions. Maybe we should all try to sit tight & think positive.

Re: the hotels, try giving them a call to ask about their cancellation/re-schedule policy. I was pleasantly surprised when I called mine...you may be, too!

I agree. i think there are so many things in play, and it's such an ever evolving situation, that any update at this point would be pointless as it will likely change. My thought is they have to do everything possible to hold it this weekend at the horse park, and that will likely mean no real decision until tomorrow. I don't think the KHSAA just doesn't care about wrestling. It's just that this event is so large, and difficult to reschedule. Comparing wrestling to how they would manage if it were another sport isn't fair. Wrestling events are just a different beast and logistically so much more difficult to run. We have to get over the "redheaded step child syndrome" we tend to have. This isn't the KHSAA's fault...it's just an incredible case of bad luck.

I know it is about the kids and getting to wrestle, but there is a lot of other things to consider.

I know my nephews team has had hotels booked for 6 months and we have a large number of rooms.  The hotel is consistently booked for events and for the next three weeks will not have the number of rooms available that they need as a team and the rate goes up b/c of # of rooms from 100 a night to 135 a night. 

Two of the coaches work outside of the school system and have to schedule their vacation day last year in order to be able to help me coach on Friday.  If the event is rescheduled the chance they will be able to attend on another Friday is very slim.  Not to mention the parents of my wrestlers not sure the number, but I know several of them have called with concerns of rescheduling and not being able to take off work.

I know each school's administration and situation is different, but the above gives you an idea of some of the things rescheduling can cause.

Now all this being said if the KHSAA would let people know if it is on or cancelled before Thursday night it would give people more time to cancel or reschedule hotel reservations apply for time off work (if they can let their employer know they can work this Friday in exchange for another, then maybe they can attend at the later date).  Also, it would allow those athletes who are struggling to make weight with no practice to relax the next two days and not stress over the weight cutting. 

At this point, for the team I cheer for it would be more stressful to reschedule (I know this is not the situation for every team)!

Let me point something out: in 1996 or 1997 (if I remember right), there was a MASSIVE ice storm that hit what was then Region 1 (present regions 1 and 2 combined)...and the KHSAA told the teams "if you can make it, wrestle because we can't reschedule state"...EVERY ONE OF THOSE TEAMS found a way to get there, and even though the tournament took close to 18 hours to run (8 man brackets but teh power kept going out), they got it in. While based on the pictures on twitter I've seen it may be better for those teams who have a pre-dominantly rural populationt to reschedule, I don't see it happening. 

I have a buddy who is one of the top refs in this state (not saying much I realize to many of you, but I also know many coaches ask for him when he's at their tournaments), and he has scraped his driveway and moved his car to an area where he can get out easier so he can get to Lexington. I know many of the refs who officiate will not be able to get off work next weekend if we reschedule. And there are only a HANDFUL of gyms that I can think of that could even hold 5 much less 6 mats. While many here won't be happy with my next statement, it's what will more than likely happen, and honestly what needs to happen: WRESTLE. It sucks for kids who can't be there because of teh weather, but when is life ever fair?! 

I know it is about the kids and getting to wrestle, but there is a lot of other things to consider.

I know my nephews team has had hotels booked for 6 months and we have a large number of rooms.  The hotel is consistently booked for events and for the next three weeks will not have the number of rooms available that they need as a team and the rate goes up b/c of # of rooms from 100 a night to 135 a night. 

Two of the coaches work outside of the school system and have to schedule their vacation day last year in order to be able to help me coach on Friday.  If the event is rescheduled the chance they will be able to attend on another Friday is very slim.  Not to mention the parents of my wrestlers not sure the number, but I know several of them have called with concerns of rescheduling and not being able to take off work.

I know each school's administration and situation is different, but the above gives you an idea of some of the things rescheduling can cause.

Now all this being said if the KHSAA would let people know if it is on or cancelled before Thursday night it would give people more time to cancel or reschedule hotel reservations apply for time off work (if they can let their employer know they can work this Friday in exchange for another, then maybe they can attend at the later date).  Also, it would allow those athletes who are struggling to make weight with no practice to relax the next two days and not stress over the weight cutting. 

At this point, for the team I cheer for it would be more stressful to reschedule (I know this is not the situation for every team)!

This is exactly what I meant by the lack of communication.  It is an incredible case of bad luck, however a little bit of communication would go a long way, even if nothing is decided yet.  It would be nice to know when they plan on having a final decision for example.  I am not even saying so for myself personally as it is a very short distance for us to travel and we don't even require accomodations, bussing, etc.  That is all I meant by my previous post.  Also, I wasn't comparing it to the sweet 16 as an example on how to manage the event.  I brought that up because the apparent decision maker that jumped at me for my post was so offended, they should be happy it isn't the sweet 16 because the hate mail would be flooding this site.  By and large I think the wrestling community has been very patient with this situation and previous situations (for example last years change to the championship format).  I was actually trying to defend the KHSAA in that there probably isn't much they can do at this point.  The negative comment was about the probably lack of contingency plan, which feel free to attack me if I was wrong...I would deserve it!  If there wasn't one, then learn from this situation and plan one in the future.  Again that isn't a lot to ask, even if I don't know what I'm talking about logistically.

One last nail in the proverbial coffin.... BASKETBALL DISTRICTS START MONDAY!!! 

All of us know we are second rate compared to basketball.  I bring this up because a lot of the larger gyms will be scheduled for Basketball districts.  I looked at the ALLTECH events page and they ave things scheduled for the next 3 weekends, so state would not be there if they rescheduled.  

Let me point something out: in 1996 or 1997 (if I remember right), there was a MASSIVE ice storm that hit what was then Region 1 (present regions 1 and 2 combined)...and the KHSAA told the teams "if you can make it, wrestle because we can't reschedule state"...EVERY ONE OF THOSE TEAMS found a way to get there, and even though the tournament took close to 18 hours to run (8 man brackets but teh power kept going out), they got it in. While based on the pictures on twitter I've seen it may be better for those teams who have a pre-dominantly rural populationt to reschedule, I don't see it happening. 

I have a buddy who is one of the top refs in this state (not saying much I realize to many of you, but I also know many coaches ask for him when he's at their tournaments), and he has scraped his driveway and moved his car to an area where he can get out easier so he can get to Lexington. I know many of the refs who officiate will not be able to get off work next weekend if we reschedule. And there are only a HANDFUL of gyms that I can think of that could even hold 5 much less 6 mats. While many here won't be happy with my next statement, it's what will more than likely happen, and honestly what needs to happen: WRESTLE. It sucks for kids who can't be there because of teh weather, but when is life ever fair?! 

I don't know about that storm, but there was a bad ice storm in Lexington in 2003 or 2004 time frame.  My street in Lexington was out of power the entire week.  It happened Valentine's Day weekend.  It was a very bad storm and power was certainly an issue.  That really can't be compared to this situation however.  Salt can melt ice.  A foot or more of snow has to be cleared before salt can even be put down.  Fayette County can clear the main roads, but even the neighborhoods in Fayette County are going to take through the weekend to clear.  I would hate to live on a court right now because I would bet it only got worse once the plows came through not better (plowed in for example but I digress).  Many of the counties involved have ZERO equipment for this type of event.  I really don't think you can make the same comparison.  Rescheduling would be ideal for the wrestlers but it would be extremely difficult logistically.  The first problem is venue, which is why I said a high school because anything else would likely not be available.  The venue would also have to be easy to get to (think near an interstate), in an area large enough to accomodate travelers hotel, restaurant, etc.  Worst case maybe you split the weights and use more than one high school (upper weights at one site/lower at another).  There is NO perfect solution, but I would prefer a solution that had the potential to involve more wrestlers rather than fewer.

WRESTLE...... The kids will get there, regardless of all this complaining and hypotheticals. A weight allowance is ridiculous, you're fortunate to get another pound. There is already a so-called "growth allowance." Two pounds for doing nothing. WRESTLE !!!!!

Totally agree on the weight.  If you're that far off weight after one week I would wonder how you tested into your weight in the first place.  As I understand it, you would get an extra pound for Friday anyway.  I don't know if that means you then get another pound Saturday, but it would seem you would...so there's your two pounds.

After hearing about fayette county, the tournament has to be rescheduled or something. Point blank. Kids have worked their butts of all year for this opportunity only for Mother Nature to take it away. It would be a shame if this is not rescheduled

Sign in to follow this