Sign in to follow this  
NO-OX 1

SNOW!!!

I just drove to work today, one hour away. Took me an hour and a half during the morning commute. Came back home. No issues. It snows and the world's coming to an end.

Good for you. Not everyone is able to do that just yet, so consider yourself among the lucky. Do you not realize that all areas of the state are free and clear of the snow just yet?

I know the media never blows things out of proportion....bud. lol

What media has done this?

• Upvote 1

The main roads are clear. It's the back roads in rural areas covered with snow that adds to the risk. Some schools won't let buses out to travel to ALLTECH in this wintry weather and more ice and snow are projected. heaven forbid, we have a horrible accident going to and from the venue. Better safe than sorry.

The main roads are clear. It's the back roads in rural areas covered with snow that adds to the risk. Some schools won't let buses out to travel to ALLTECH in this wintry weather and more ice and snow are projected. heaven forbid, we have a horrible accident going to and from the venue. Better safe than sorry.

The KHSAA is also worried that if something does happen, and heaven forbid it does/did, that it too could be held liable. That's not something they want, I'd guess.

Just noticed ATM has a very big week in march with the state tournament 9 an 10 or 10 an 11 dapper dan the 15th and border wars the 17th if I read everything right

Moving the tournament is the right decision.  No weather conditions will keep kids from competing and the state tournament should take precedent over any school or extracurricular activity.  I would expect all legitimate contenders for a place on the stand to be there.

That being said, I will be very interested to see who is officiating on a Tuesday and Wednesday in March.  I don't think anyone would disagree that for every great official we have there are at least 3 poor if not absolutely terrible officials.  I hope it doesn't happen but I'll bet that there are a few blown calls that decide important matches.  Officials are human too and on occasion the moment can be too much to handle.  

Low-single-05,

I invite you to come out and be an absolutely terrible official and blow a few calls. From my own experience, things look a lot different 3-5 feet from the action than it looks from the coaches corner or much less, from the stands.

I was wondering about officials as well.  I personally know two officials who were going to officiate the State Tourney, but can no longer do so because of not being allowed to miss work (for 2 days).  I see low-single-05 point.  Where will we get refs (decent refs) to officiate the tournament, and if they cannot get enough what then?

Goldberg...give it a rest dude...sick of reading your crap...the best decision was made !

The best decision was made for certain regions, but not for all.  beside if you don't like reading crap then stop.

Officiating for 3-5 feet away? Outside of the occasional locking hands, finger grab, and obviously pinning situations there is no reason for an official to be anywhere close to the competitors. If you want to see excellent examples of officiating please find the time to tune into the BIG 10 Network when the are covering wrestling. Notice the lack of an official in the picture until there is a top and bottom situation.

Admittadely, officiating a sport as dynamic as ours is very difficult. I would argue that having significant wrestling experience is imperative in order to anticipate positions and directions of movement as well as likely scenarios for rules infractions. In addition they have long days and are on their feet and bellies for most of those days. What they do is important to our sport because without them we wouldn't be wrestling at all.

1) There are without question bad wrestling officials

2) We should never assume that bad officials intend to impact matches

3) Rescheduling the state tournament for 2 weekdays may have an impact on officiating

4) Following is a link to the BTN wrestling schedule so that thegreatgatsby can see good officiating

http://btn.com/2014/11/24/btn-announces-2014-15-wrestling-coverage/

there was only one official not able to adjust their schedule to work the postponed tournament.  This would have been his first time working State and I don't think they are going to replace him. 

That being said, I will be very interested to see who is officiating on a Tuesday and Wednesday in March.  I don't think anyone would disagree that for every great official we have there are at least 3 poor if not absolutely terrible officials.  I hope it doesn't happen but I'll bet that there are a few blown calls that decide important matches.  Officials are human too and on occasion the moment can be too much to handle.  

If the officiating is as bad as the crew that was there for the youth Sunday, some of these matches could see some crazy things.  There was some good officiating for sure, no question, and I do not question how hard it is or can be, however I saw calls that were absolutely horrible, and it made me question if they had any experience at all, let alone what match they were watching......

If the officiating is as bad as the crew that was there for the youth Sunday, some of these matches could see some crazy things.  There was some good officiating for sure, no question, and I do not question how hard it is or can be, however I saw calls that were absolutely horrible, and it made me question if they had any experience at all, let alone what match they were watching......

Wow "Coach".  That's an awful broad brush you're painting with. 

I hope you're not teaching your kids to blame the refs when they lose.  If you are, Sounds like you're part of the problem.

Wow "Coach". That's an awful broad brush you're painting with.

I hope you're not teaching your kids to blame the refs when they lose. If you are, Sounds like you're part of the problem.

I won't say I "blame" refs , but I do tell my kids to don't put it in the officials hands. I.e. don't stall,wrestle clean, wrestle in the center, and don't keep a match close if you can help it. If you do those things, most of the matches take care of themselves and ref will not have a baring on the outcome.

There are times I'll say the ref cost us the match, but most times I tell them that you can't put yourself in the situation to let that happen

Wow "Coach".  That's an awful broad brush you're painting with. 

I hope you're not teaching your kids to blame the refs when they lose.  If you are, Sounds like you're part of the problem.

Please do not assume, I am not blaming the refs for any outcome what so ever.  It was just a simple observation while watching.  I saw quite a few calls that were extremely confusing.  And I by far do not have my kids blame it on the refs.  Like I said, I know the refs have a hard enough time as it is being in that position having to make calls as they come.  I much like Coachteater praise to not leave it in the officials hands, and to leave it on the mat. 

Don't lose sight of the fact that I did state there were many good things I saw for officiating.  I will clear it up and be more precise, most of the matches I did watch had no issues.  There were a few things/calls I saw that created that moment, how did he call that, and why?  Even with justification I would have scratched my head.  There was no blaming for losses on my part, I had no dogs in the fight.  Just a mere observer.

The statement to me, was merely saying that if a similar situation was to arrise for the high school boys, there could be some crazy outcomes due to crazy calls.  Maybe horrible wasn't the politically correct verbiage to use, nor saying the "crew" beause there was good officiating.  There were just some bad calls.  They did not affect the outcome from what I could tell, just flat out bad calls.  Given that in a high school match, maybe it could determine the outcome which is what we don't want to happen, like I teach the kids, don't leave the match in the ref's hands. 

• Upvote 1

You mean to tell me that some POS ref made a few calls that left you wondering what he was thinking while working an entire 16 man bracket or two without taking a break? I bet he has it out for your team too.  That sorry sack should be taken out back and drug behind some of those horses. 

i heard a coach say to a young ref in the hospitality room "There's the cheatin' ref!" and proceed to harangue him for 5 minutes. That ref is a first year ref but he wrestled for 10 years so he knows what he is seeing as much as anybody could. I really doubt the ref had any agenda to cheat anybody. Another reason it is hard to keep refs.

Sign in to follow this