Sign in to follow this  
coffeesgood

dominic lampe

dominic lampe will not get to wrestle at region or state because he had a can of dip in his backpack and tobacco products are considered drugs at st. x. This is his first time ever in 4yrs there of any violation of any kind . I new there would be alot of rumors and I thought it best to just get the truth out . Dominic is going to wrestle at chattanooga with his brothers so he will get over it.Dominic is a great son and has been a good student his punishment seems extreme but there is nothing we can do but move on.    jeff lampe

• Upvote 1

This is extremely disappointing. Dominic seems like a great kid. Comes from a great family. The punishment seems rather extreme. I would bet the majority of high school students have tobacco of some sort with them at school. Was this search of his bag legal? What if it was in his vehicle? Would the same rules apply? Could they search that as well? Rules are rules, but this sounds ridiculous to me. Just out of curiosity, is he 18? If so, I bet you have a foot to stand on. This really sucks.

In many schools having tobacco on school property is an automatic suspension of 2-3 days. Students who do not attend school for whatever reason on the day of a meet or Friday before a Saturday meet are not eligible to participate. I am not certain of st. X's rules but in many schools if the incident had occurred last week he would have been able to wrestle at regionals. The timing of the incident and subsequent suspension may be what is preventing him from participating at Regionals. Like I say, I am not sure of the specific rules at St. X. Just offering a possible explanation.

• Upvote 2

This is extremely disappointing. Dominic seems like a great kid. Comes from a great family. The punishment seems rather extreme. I would bet the majority of high school students have tobacco of some sort with them at school. Was this search of his bag legal? What if it was in his vehicle? Would the same rules apply? Could they search that as well? Rules are rules, but this sounds ridiculous to me. Just out of curiosity, is he 18? If so, I bet you have a foot to stand on. This really sucks.

I highly doubt the majority of high school kids would have some some of tobacco with them at school.  And while it might seem harsh, I know as a coach, part of my agreement is not having tobacco while on campus, and if I did, I would be let go if caught.  Tobacco free means tobacco free.  And it applies whether you're 18 or not.

• Upvote 1

I thought the same about how they found the dip. Just too extreme a punishment.

I thought the same about how they found the dip. Just too extreme a punishment.

For wrestling fans, yes it is an extreme punishment.  But would we be as outraged or upset if this were just Joe Averagestudent??  Would we look for alternative ways to punish the non athlete??  Would we even care??  I agree it does suck.  Lampe not being at state and getting a chance to defend his title is a letdown.  But rules are rules, and he doesn't deserve any special treatment.  People complain all the time about athletes being able to get away with breaking the law and getting away with it.  And now one gets held accountable, and everybody complains.  

• Upvote 3

That is terrible, he is a great kid.  Now for the real question..... Who is jumping ship and going to 170?  Is it too late to bump?  I am just asking the question that everyone is thinking...

I agree with captain obvious... Seems like they could've easily dealt with this after state I feel like they are goin out of their way because of state and trying to make an example... This is way too extreme of a punishment I feel sorry

I agree with captain obvious... Seems like they could've easily dealt with this after state I feel like they are goin out of their way because of state and trying to make an example... This is way too extreme of a punishment I feel sorry

So you believe they would have treated another student differently?? Do you think they would have delayed punishment for breaking a rule, that I'm guessing is pretty well known?? I just don't believe that. I've never heard of a school delaying punishment. Get caught today, and we suspend you next week. Doesn't happen. Again, we complain when athletes get treated differently, or given special treatment. But yet, that's exactly what many of us are asking ST X to do in this case. I'm sure he's a great kid, and he's certainly a great wrestler. And the 170 weight class will have an asterisk because he won't be there. But does that grant him special treatment??

Rjs4470. We aren't talking about a pro or college athlete. We also aren't talking about drugs or some serious offense. Im not saying he shouldnt be punished, but there are other forms of punishment that might be more suitable. Things aren't always so cut and dry.

The guy had a can of dip... 60% of high schoolers carry that everyday it is not a big offense and if it was serious it wouldn't be legal... At alot of schools if you get caught you just get detention... Now yes he is an athlete and I do believe he has earned the right through work other "averageJoes" have not put in and helped his school win a state championship in 13'? He is not a college or pro athlete getting away with wife abuse or drug chargers like the nfl cause their athletes.. This is a high school kid with dip... I think the school could overlook it and find an alternative yes

From the St X athletic handbook:  "The following statements of policy are in effect for all student athletes at Saint Xavier High School. Individual coaches may add to these sanctions, but may not reduce them.

TOBACCO

In-season
1st Offense Immediate suspension. The suspension begins with the next scheduled contest and concludes when the number of contests is equivalent to 10% of the regular season schedule. If the regular season concludes prior to the completion of the suspension period, the suspension will remain in effect for post-season contests. A written probation agreement is required. In each case, student athletes may continue to practice with the team subject to approval of the individual coach."

And the 170 weight class will have an asterisk because he won't be there.

Would it have an asterisk if he wasn't able to compete b/c of injury?  If so, then I would think there'd be asterisks all over the place, all through the season.

Yes, it's a shame this is the way he ends a great HS career, but the rules are clearly stated & if you choose to violate the rules then you also choose to accept the consequences if/when you get caught.  That's a lesson we all learn sooner or later...just ask anyone who's ever gotten a speeding ticket.

The guy had a can of dip... 60% of high schoolers carry that everyday it is not a big offense and if it was serious it wouldn't be legal... At alot of schools if you get caught you just get detention... Now yes he is an athlete and I do believe he has earned the right through work other "averageJoes" have not put in and helped his school win a state championship in 13'? He is not a college or pro athlete getting away with wife abuse or drug chargers like the nfl cause their athletes.. This is a high school kid with dip... I think the school could overlook it and find an alternative yes

Fair enough. But you are way off base about 60% of high schoolers using tobacco. And where do you draw the line. What about the star chess player? Or the kid who read the most books last year?? Or what if it were Lampe's backup, who probably works just as hard but may not be as talented? Do they get punished because they cant beat Lampe on the mat?? I May be wrong, but I'm guessing Lampe knew the rule and what would happen if he got caught. And he did it anyway. Does that work anywhere else in real life?? What if he were only an ok wrestler? Then should he be punished like everyone else?? Rules are rules, and schools can't selectively decide when and when not to follow them. That creates chaos. I want to see him wrestle as much as anyone. But letting him get away with no punishment, or delayed punishment sends the wrong the message. If you screw up you should be held accountable. Being a great wrestler, student, or the best tiddlywinks player doesn't exempt you from following the rules or treated differently.

Dominic has accepted his punishment and no one ever asked for any special treatment.Dominic will be fine I only posted because I thought the rumors would be worse than the truth.When ever any of you or your children are faced with something similar I hope you find more mercy than Dominic did.

• Upvote 1

Sign in to follow this