Sign in to follow this  
TECHnWIN

quarter final matchups that could happen

It makes me sick to think weight classes where only 2 people even have a shot to win meeting in the quarters. The best two should wrestle for all the marbles and give some entertainment to the crowd. Ie. Heidorf vs ervin last year.

113- vega and more shouldnt meet until the finals

126- erdman and poynter, state finals match

132- duncan and binder, If you were there at the dragon thats what your admission was for. Probably quarters.

152- barton, actley, oxford. None should meet before semis.belks also in the mix forsure

Hwt- young and vinegar or brown.

If khsaa does such a great job, then seed this damn tournament so at 6:00 Saturday night we can all be pleased for all 14 weight classes. Although atm will pin

Seriously ,Hurst is a state champ with a win over Moore and you are scared and worried moore might see vega before him ,thats &$&@ up saying they are the only two with a chance to win I have heard it all now

Its the same argument every year ,I have seen a kid get a pass to the finals almost with five of the top seven on one side .

you can pick finals but some like 113 are wide open with maybe Vega being the favorite for sure

Its the same argument every year ,I have seen a kid get a pass to the finals almost with five of the top seven on one side .

you can pick finals but some like 113 are wide open with maybe Vega being the favorite for sure

Contradicting much, wide open with maybe Vega being the favorite forsure??

yeah lol ,wide open meaning theres one fav ,not two how could there be two clear favs when one has lost to others in the class one of whom is a state champ ,not contradicting at all.the challenger is wide open .

And ,I said he was the favorite so I get a Cookie ,you said he and Moore were clear finalists the only two with shots to win ,but Hurst beat Moore once this yr soooo you get 0 cookies ,you did realize Atm will pin so you can have a cookie anyway lol I think you forgot a hvy champ that is if he is actually wrestling although he is not invincible he lost a few last yr .

Crazy man you keep bringing up that Hurst beat Moore. did they wrestle twice? Moore pinned Hurst in the Rumble then lost to Ervin in the finals. If they did wrestle 2 times and Hurst won the rematch then the correct statement would be they are 1-1  as far as Vega being the favorite, I say yea. But would it really surprise anyone if Moore,or Wells or Hurst or 2-3 otherstake him out? I would not be shocked.

North Oldham tournament in 10 days.  I believe Hurst, Moore and Vega will all be there.  State finals warm-up.  

Vega is the top pick right now with wins over both and losses to neither.

Moore and Hurst have split this season.

I think at this point you have to say 1 Vega   2 Moore   3 Hurst  

I don't think we have seen Hurst at full potential this year.  Battled some sickness, missed a week to attend a funeral.  He has some ground to make up for sure but I just don't have much doubt that he will make up that ground over the next 3 weeks.

Moore is the wild card.  Capable of winning but never wrestled in a state tournament before.  Lets see if the big stage affects him.  I know I was sweatin bullets the first state tournament I participated in.

Just hope the bracket is set up where all 3 make the semis but don't count on it.

Seriously ,Hurst is a state champ with a win over Moore and you are scared and worried moore might see vega before him ,thats &$&@ up saying they are the only two with a chance to win I have heard it all now

Thank goodness someone finally said this and for the moment of clarity.  I felt exactly the same way when someone was saying that Ervin would be a clear favorite at 113!.

Thank goodness someone finally said this and for the moment of clarity. I felt exactly the same way when someone was saying that Ervin would be a clear favorite at 113!.

I don't think he would be a clear favorite but he does have wins over Vega and Moore so he would be in the mix

And with Moore competing in some tough preseason tournament's I don't think the big stage of the state tournament will have him to shook

In a perfect world, the top 4 at 113 meet in the semis at state. Will it work out that way??? We will all have to wait and see. But the bottom line in this, the winner will be the wrestler who brings his "a" game and then some at the state tournament. Vega, Hurst, and Moore might be the front runners but if any of them slack off or don't give it their all, there are plenty of other talented wrestlers in the weight class who will be more than willing and ready to step up and take their place.

In a perfect world, the top 4 at 113 meet in the semis at state. Will it work out that way??? We will all have to wait and see. But the bottom line in this, the winner will be the wrestler who brings his "a" game and then some at the state tournament. Vega, Hurst, and Moore might be the front runners but if any of them slack off or don't give it their all, there are plenty of other talented wrestlers in the weight class who will be more than willing and ready to step up and take their place.

Exactly.

Honestly guys, the only legitimate way of seeding the state tournament while seperating region finalists from one another would be to only seed returning placers. By doing so, you are seperating your confirmed best from one another that way they don't meet until later in the tournament.

For example: Previous year state placers

J. Smith 1st at 145-1 seed at 145

J. Doe 3rd at 145-2 seed at 145

J. White 1st at 138-3 seed at 145

J. Black-6th at 120- 4 seed at 145

Obviously, a wrestler that did not place the year before could be a legitimate contender for a medal but seeding the tournament this way does not keep them from the podium. Just my opinion and this is what I would prefer. However, at the end of the day-to be the man you have to beat the man.

It would take hours and maybe even days to seed the State Tournament. Do I like seeing these matches early on....no. But it would be almost impossible without head to heads and common opponents. Case in point:

Ryle wrestles a lot in Ohio. I would bet most of the Western KY schools have not seen them.

Johnson Central has only wrestled in KY a handful of times. How would we seed them?

It's not as easy as it sounds.

Some say we should only seed the Region Champs. How would that work this year at:

106 - Both #1 and #2 are in Region 1

132 - Both #3 and #4 are in Region 6

138 - Both #2 and #3 are in Region 1

182 - Both #1 and #2 are in Region 4

195 - Both #2 and #3 are in Region 4

220 - Both #2 and #4 are in Region 1

Perhaps the KHSAA should mandate that wrestlers compete in a specific percentage of their events in KY. Don't want it to be too high because kids get better by competing out of state. I would like to see the state tournament seeded and this would be a way to get more head-to-head matchups.

sounds to me we best get up real early on saturday eat breakfast drive 2 hrs. and not miss the quarter finals!

You may not want to miss any matches at 138. Some of the first round 2v3 matches are going to be really good.

Yes but the regional champs and runner ups are automatically on the opposite sides of the bracket so technically they are seeded a little bit.

I've always thought that track record meaning on how they did in the state last year) should also come into play when seeding i.e. example Matthews at 182 and Frankrone should automatically be places in opposite sides of the bracket because they were the state finalists last year.

But it's a useless point because the state tournament won't ever be seeded because no sport is.

State tournament still a great time though. Upsets happen every year and what a great couple of days of wrestling it is.

Wouldn't trade it for any other sports championship.

Sign in to follow this