Sign in to follow this  
J.W.

Veterans Memorial Tournament 8 November @ John Hardin

The Middle School Season Opening event at John Hardin High School in Elizabethtown, KY is right around the corner.  Ten teams have confirmed and we would like to fill the event for the 3rd straight year, if your team is interested in attending please post on here so we can get you the flyer.

This event has filled at 16 Man brackets every year and has shown great early season competition with many previews of state finalists each year.  If your team is not completely ready and you only have individuals to put in for the kick-off event, we should be able to work them in.

Thanks and hope to see some teams post.  Out of state teams are welcomed and always invited to attend.  

If you emailed last night, you should have gotten the reply saying you were in and should receive flyer shortly.

Should have been sent out by Coach Johnson to all teams that are coming.  I think he sent yesterday.  If you did not receive let me know through a PM what email address it should have gone to.  Thanks.

Teams attending:

John Hardin

East Oldham

Taylor County

Twenhofel

Woodland Middle School

North Hardin

Campbell County

Moore

Hawks Wrestling

Meade County

Woodford County

Shamrock Wrestling

Highland Hills, IN

As of right now, I do not know if there are any individual wrestler openings. I will have to wait until all of the teams send me their rosters.

Who are some of the favs to win this tournament?

There are a bunch of good teams, but I think almost every team has a couple holes/spots filled by inexperienced wrestlers.  This is always a tough early tournament, and many top wrestlers probably won't be wrestling at the weight they'll be competing at later in the year.  Some teams are still either missing or just getting kids in from football too, so predicting winners will be tough.

Without seeing the rosters and going off of watching the summer posts - I would put a lot of stock in guessing that East Oldham and Twenhofel will have a few champions.  North Hardin, Taylor County, Woodford, and Campbell County will pick up a winner or two also.  But yes, this Tournament has always seemed to get a few All-Star Classic Match-Ups of some State Finalist previews for a season kick-off tourney.  Wish I was able to come down and watch this years season start.

Sounds like 105 was a tough weight.  IMO there will be four state placers that will come from that bracket.

Will they post the brackets anywhere?

Sounds like 105 was a tough weight. IMO there will be four state placers that will come from that bracket.

Did Noah wrestle today? How'd he do? What weight? How'd the 80 and 86lbers look?

Sounds like 105 was a tough weight. IMO there will be four state placers that will come from that bracket.

105 results were

1. Chase Yost

2. Allen Powers

3. Layne Seibert

4. Jerry Simpson

Hopefully they'll post the brackets.

Team results were

1. Campbell County

2. Woodford County

3. Woodland MS

4. Moore

5. Twenhofel MS

Team Scores:

John Hardin VMT

8 Nov 2014

Place Score Name 

1 175.0 Campbel County 

2 156.0 *Wodford County 

3 148.50 *Wodland 

4 143.0 *More 

5 121.0 *Twenhofel 

6 16.0 *Taylor County 

7 109.0 *North Hardin 

8 107.0 *Hawks Wrestling 

9 98.0 *Shamrock Wrestling 

10 83.0 *Highland Hils 

83.0 *Eagles Wrestling 

12 61.0 *John Hardin 

13 50.0 *LaRue County 

14 9.0 Wayne County 

98 was, to put it mildly worse than a buzz saw. The semi between Catchen-Carter and the Indiana Outlaws kid was a great match. I wish it had been a final as those two boys set the bar for the day. I was impressed with a few of the 70lbers as well. Smaller kids, but very solid wrestlers. The level of competition at this event is perfect for a season kick off. I'd like to thank Josh for running a great tourney. I missed seeing J.W. but, I believe he would have been very proud of Josh and the rest of the JH coaches and parents for continuing the great event he started.  

Another solid tourney. While the competition as a whole may have been down slightly, there were still a few really tough weight classes and many great match ups. 105 and 98 were both super tough. This tournament was once again very well run, and a great way to kick off the season.