Sign in to follow this  
Shady-Shady-Shady

Pre-Season and In Season Injury and Recovery times

Ok I have a question. If a wrestler tares his Meniscus and has surgery and Doctor estimates 8 weeks of recovery . Should you allow a Wrestler to come back if the Dr clears them or should they just take the rest of the season off and focus on next year? I often see so many Wrestlers rush back into the sport just to reinjure themselves. As a discussion point would it be the parent’s responsibility or the Coaches on whether a Wrestler should return the same season he was injured. Any view points on this issue.

it's really up to how the kid responds to surgery and how fast they heal with a meniscus tear it can be as quick as a month or two months or longer

I'm no doctor though lol just going by how my brothers injury was handled and other wrestlers I have been around

I'm not a doctor but have been through this before:

If the Meniscus tear occurs towards the edge of the meniscus, they trim the cartilage and you're back in a few days. If the tear is towards the middle, where there is more blood flow, they stitch it up to heal the tear. You're off  for 8 weeks while it heals. The knee has a brace that keeps the leg straight. I think you can bear weight as long as the leg is straight.

The meniscus provides some padding in the middle of the knee joint but not really stability, so when you return, your knee joint should be sound, other than weakness from not using it for 8 weeks. Probably no more likely to re-injure than before the original tear.

Again, I'm not a doctor, I just listened closely during a similar experience.

Also - I would think it's up to you and you're kid as to whether he returns (assuming clearance from the doctor). If he can get in shape and win a wrestle off that's his choice.

Sign in to follow this