Sign in to follow this  
FalconWrestling

Region 1 Preseason Rankings 8/14/14

Well they aren't quite to the standard I want them but with the preseason it is best just to get them out there so at the very least I can get some corrections coming in. A lot of guess work on weights and digging through old results trying to remember who beat who. There will definitely be errors here and there and some forgotten kids because that's the nature of the beast. As usual feedback is expected and appreciated. Any grievous errors I will blame on the fact I no longer have wisdom teeth to guide me.  

1. Saul Ervin, Union County

2. Kaleb Sapp, Ohio County

3. Devontae Turner, Trigg County

4. Daniel Knight, Christian County

5. Eric Gonzalez, McCracken County

6. Jacob Bellah, Calloway County

Assuming Ervin weighs as much as he looked like he weighed last year he should be returning to 106 this year, which leaves him and Kaleb Sapp at the top of the weight. Beyond these two it is just a question of who is staying at this weight and who is graduating to the big boys. Regaldo has been getting bigger so I assume he moves up but not sure on the rest of this bunch, especially Knight.

1. Luis Regaldo, Fort Campbell

2. Froilan Agulto, Christian County

3. Cameron Dearmond, Hoptown

4. Caleb Hammons, Caldwell County

5. Dakota Himes, Ohio County

6. Jordan Snyder, Calloway County

If Regaldo makes 113 he may be the favorite to win it coming off of a podium year. Out of this batch Regaldo doesn’t have many challengers but who knows how people have been growing.

1. Bryce Sheffer, Union County

2. Camerin Cole, Christian County

3. Jack Haynes, Calloway County

4. Alex Curl, Fort Campbell

5. James Whitaker, Caldwell County

6. Ray Hamilton, Paducah Tilghman

I’m pretty certain Sheffer will be here and it doesn’t really matter how the weights fall he will be the favorite. Fort Campbell is putting a lot into Curl who had huge shoes to fill with DeWitt getting hurt last year and really came into his own near the end, depending on how much he fills out he can be a threat. Don’t discount some people I have both above and below this weight ending up here.

1. Derek Miller, Paducah Tilghman

2. Wes Gray, Caldwell County

3. Daniel Dyess, UHA

4. Rylan Ervin, Union County

5. Austin Zeppes, Calloway County

6. Ethan Feezor, Graves County

Miller had a monster finish to last season and I expect him to at least challenge for a state title this year if not the next. Gray and Dyess are two big weight question marks, no idea where they are going. Ervin gets stuck here virtue of I have no idea where else he can fit in the Union lineup, he’d probably be giving up a lot of weight here.

1. Caleb Austin, Christian County

2. Chance Oxford, Union County

3. BJ Miller, Ohio County

4. Jeremiah Kline, Trigg County

5. Chance Collins, UHA

6. Samuel Yates, Hoptown

Austin could be here or 126 and at either weight his goal is a state title. Miller and Kline have been in the game awhile now and both are hungry for that state podium finish. Oxford similar to Ervin just has to find somewhere he fits in the lineup, might have to give up weight but we will see, definitely a very talented wrestler wherever he ends up. Collins is a threat depending on how the weights shake up

1. Chandler Martin, McCracken County

2. Dalton Putty, UHA

3. Logan Thomas, Calloway County

4. Braden Sperry, Caldwell County

5. Gideon Ellison, Fort Campbell

6. Blake Brown, Ohio County

138 is the first of a couple fairly barren weights, people shifting around and a very tough class of seniors graduating. Out of the people I see at this weight Martin is the favorite unless Leavell doesn’t move up then it will get pretty scrappy.

1. Diion Leavell, Christian County

2. Tim Pike, Union County

3. Corbin Ryder, Fort Campbell

4. Nicholas Walls, Calloway County

5. Evan Martin, Paducah Tilghman

6. Josh McCoy, Ohio County

This weight will be interesting after being one of the toughest weight classes the past couple years. Leavell and Ryder have both been talked up with lots of potential with Leavell being the more successful one in his briefer career. Ryder can be dangerous when healthy, even if he does wrestle differently then his better known brother.

1. Jackson Oxford, Union County

2. Kobe Perry, Christian County

3. Ivan Lawson, Hoptown

4. Allen Dickinson, Calloway County

5. Jaishon Faison, Trigg County

6. Christian Barefield, UHA

Pretty much from 138 up I am having a crap shoot in determinating the weight classes, so don’t put too much stock into them. Oxford got upset by Hedrick last year and by all means had more than enough talent to place at state, Hedrick just had a miracle run through the bracket. He should run relatively untouched through the region even with a large weight jump.

1. Avery Buckman, Union County

2. Isaiah Lawson, Hoptown

3. Justin Newby, Christian County

4. William Crabtree, UHA

5. Alex Hideg, McCracken County

6. Noelle Williams, Paducah Tilghman

Buckman shouldn’t see that many threats unless Nate Williams makes 160 again then this will be one of the closer finals matches come regionals.

1. Nate Williams, Hoptown

2. Gino Haywood, Fort Campbell

3. Kane Morris, Union County

4. Kenny Sells, Christian County

5. Jared Turner, Paducah Tilghman

6. Rustin Burkeen, Calloway County

Now comes the question how good Haywood can be not giving up about 10-12 pounds to everyone he wrestles. Potentially Haywood could win the region here but you have to give the nod to Nate Williams based off of his finish at state last year. Kane Morris and Kenny Sells are both also extremely dangerous podium chasers, Sells having made it while healthy before while Morris has wrestled the best kids extremely tough and falling just short, and if all end up here then this will be an extremely tough weight class.

1. Xavier Pate, Christian County

2. Collin Feezor, Graves County

3. Conner Keenan, Fort Campbell

4. Tige Littlefield. Caldwell County

5. Gage Parker, Ohio County

6. Josh Baker, McCracken County

As it stands this weight is very bare and empty after Pate, I don’t expect it to stay this way for long, especially if 170 ends up as tough as I am predicting it to be.

1. Conner Sherman, Union County

2. Kajwan Major, Christian County

3. Cody Jackson, Calloway County

4. Anthony Adkinson, Fort Campbell

5. Kyler Bohn, Trigg County

6. Zach Heath, Graves County

Looks to be an interesting final matchup, Sherman was better during the regular season but lost out to Major come regionals, mostly because of the draw of the bracket. Only for Sherman to have a far better state tournament compared to Major. After these two it’s a fairly barren weight with wrestling needing to either move weight classes or develop to make things interesting.

1. Zach Farris, Ohio County

2. Cole Sherman, Union County

3. Tevin Toler, Christian County

4. AJ Ogburn, Fort Campbell

5. Colby Culver, Calloway County

6. Eugene Butler, Hoptown

Farris being at 220 puts him squarely at the second in the state after Austin Myers. After Farris there are plenty of tough wrestlers with Sherman being the leader of a batch of 5 or so wrestlers who all have at least outside shots at the regional finals.

1. Raynel Brown, Union County

2. Jake Jorstad, Fort Campbell

3. Luke Shaffer, Ohio County

4. Dezjuan Owen, Hoptown

5. Maurice Catlett, Trigg County

6. Andrew Lee, Calloway County

As I say year after year, you can’t predict heavyweight. Last year’s regional results were all over the place and even more confounding come the state tournament. But you have to give credit where credit is due and Raynel Brown not only placed at state, he also nearly AAed at Fargo; whereas Jorstad and Shaffer are two talented but highly inconsistent heavyweights. One thing to keep an eye on is a battle between two heavyweights in the Fort Campbell room as David Nikolao returns off from yet another injury and should hopefully push both Jorstad and/or himself over the top come postseason.

Team

1. Union County

Union is still far from the day of getting unseated on top the region.

2. Christian County

Christian returns several important pieces headlined of course by Caleb Austin.

3. Fort Campbell

Fort Campbell has talent, but lots of question marks. A different team everytime you see them, needs several of the high potential guys to have breakout seasons.

4. Hoptown

Returns a similar sort of Dark Horse threat they had last year, not quite as experienced but still dangerous.

5. Ohio County

Best of the rest right now with Calloway and Paducah not far behind them, their state finalist threat in Farris should keep them in statewide discussion as an always tough team.

Thanks for everyone who has contacted me with weight corrections so far, I don't see any reason to post an update for awhile until I get a substantial amount of information but there are already some big names who are moving weight classes. Please continue to inform me of any weight gains (or losses) and I'll make note of them for the next batch.

Also probably going to change my name again, just warning everyone first haha

Whats the odds Raynel Throws everyone for pins to win state .I see at least an 80% pin performance by Him .RAYNEL AND YOUNG .OPPOSITES COLLIDE

Let's get real here on little Haywood. Gino is not so little any longer. He is a solid 185. He is not going down to 170. He will wrestle 182 all year long. 182 belongs to Haywood and everyone else will have to come to him. Think about it he did give up 10 lbs every match last year and it took him to state and almost placed. He will not be giving that much weight up this year for sure.

I would never say hvy is a lock big boys falling all over .Raynel wore a shoulder brace last yr at state I think .

I see him at a height disadvantage at Hvy but at a Huge Heart and Work Advantage .Hes all Wrestler all the Time all yr. One of the few I have seen at nearly every major tournament and in every style .

Let's get real here on little Haywood. Gino is not so little any longer. He is a solid 185. He is not going down to 170. He will wrestle 182 all year long. 182 belongs to Haywood and everyone else will have to come to him. Think about it he did give up 10 lbs every match last year and it took him to state and almost placed. He will not be giving that much weight up this year for sure.

You'd know better then me where Gino is going, I don't talk to him. My understanding from last year was Gino was going to cut down to 170 after Ki graduated. Anywhere he goes where he isn't giving up 10 pounds like last year is good for him. If he is going 182 again then yes he would be the favorite easily, I expect Pate to give him a match though, he wrestled Ki and Lawson close late last year

I would never say hvy is a lock big boys falling all over .Raynel wore a shoulder brace last yr at state I think .

I see him at a height disadvantage at Hvy but at a Huge Heart and Work Advantage .Hes all Wrestler all the Time all yr. One of the few I have seen at nearly every major tournament and in every style .

Every year we try to say someone is a lock at heavyweight and something always happens. Not sure if a lot of people remember Houston Croney upsetting Jordan Whiting when everyone thought Whiting would go through untouched, Whiting was a monster about 250 of solid muscle haha.

Every year I thought Brown would grow a couple inches and he never has, but he puts the sort of work in I wish everyone did and it shows come regular season. Shame about his height, heavyweight is the only class you need good stature to succeed at D1, he could be a D2 or NAIA champ though.

Question? Was reading through rankings here and I know several of the teams in Region 1. Were there two Haywoods that wrestled for Fort Campbell last year? I am referencing the above quote from "Letsgo" Little Haywood. I know there were two Ryders and everyone referred to the younger Ryder as little Ryder. I just do not recall a second Haywood on the team last year. If I recall, Gino was not really small last year but he was a lighter 182. 

While on the subject, I heard the youngest Ryder was out for the 2014-15 season due to an injury and I know he missed a majority of last season as well. If so, that will be a major blow to the Campbell team because that young man can wrestle. If he does get back on the mat then him and the rest of the Campbell team will get a chance to step out of Ki Ryder's shadow now. Fort Campbell has not had anyone that dominate of a force on their team in a long time not that I recall any way. 

Gino Haywood should have a solid season at 182 in Region 1 this year for sure. He will have to put some work in though because Xavier Pate will be the hurdle in his way.   

Raynel Brown I believe will redeem himself this year. He had to battle through some injuries last year but after the Fargo showing I believe Brown will give a good run for the gold at state this year. Region 1 is his hands down!!! His height does cause him some issue but he makes up for it with his speed which is deceiving. 

The season is almost here and you can feel the excitement in the air. The true Spartans of high school sports are getting ready to take the arenas around the state and battle it out. I know Region 1 will not have guys like Brock Ervin, Trae Blackwell, Ki Ryder, or Chad Gahafer but the excitement to see who steps up and fills their shoes is what everyone is waiting to see.

I hope that Corbin isn't hurt again, David Nikolao was hurt two straight seasons and his career is also extremely promising.

I've been a part of Fort Campbell wrestling for a long time and my reference to little Haywood was because I knew his older brother Jerry. It's funny cause Gino is far larger then his brother was who wrestled in the 140's most of his career.

In fairness to Fort Campbell, Ki Ryder isn't the only respected and successful wrestler the team has had past couple years. In this past decade there has been David Sahms, Zack Bontrager, Thomas Campbell, Matt Mines, Zach Rhinestine, etc. Mostly there have been tons of talented guys who didn't quite reach their potential such as Robbie Sahms (one of the most gifted wrestler I ever knew), Nick Ringle, Jerry Haywood, Tim Nikolao, myself, Drayton Simmons, etc. None of us came here for a lesson on Fort Campbell's history though. I just believe that Fort Campbell has always had the talent, these past few years they've just been finally getting kids to reach their potential, there was very little more they could've done last state tournament it was amazing to see them wrestle their hearts out like that.

I was not saying Fort Campbell has not had any talented wrestlers in the past. I have been fairly familiar with Campbell for about the last 6 or 7 years. I do remember the Sahms who recently graduated within the last three years. He was extremely quick on the mat. I just do not recall the coaches really talking about a Fort Campbell wrestler the way Ryder was referenced in many conversations.

I do recall the older Haywood now that you mentioned him and Nikolao was sidelined due to a football injury if I remember correctly and a beast (crazy strength). Bontrager was tough and if I recall correctly he was one of the few that went on to college to wrestle from Campbell. I believe Ryder is the first since Bontrager to actually be recruited by a college from talking to the coach last year. Fort Campbell or any military base school system is a tough nut to coach. You just never know what you will have from year to year.

Some of us got recruited, the only ones who took it seriously the past few years were myself, Bontrager, and Ryder. I wrestled two years of college but I had a career ending injury. Robert Carracillo wrestled for West Point for about a week. Thomas Campbell wrestled NAIA. That's off the top of my head. UTC wanted David Sahms but he was done.

Tim was hurt his sophomore and junior year, his knee got destroyed because of football. It's a shame because he was really good, he hurt his shoulder right before regions and wrestled with just one arm, there's a video of him wrestling Calloway to make it to state that's impressive. He could've been a state placer if he was healthy. The Nikolao family has been around since before I was there (4 brothers stretching back to '04), Tim and David probably have the most talent but they are also cursed with injuries. His 7th grade year there were people who said David would be the best wrestler in Fort Campbell's history, then he got hurt two years in a row.

Ryder was the first one to get seriously recruited under Shingler. Most of the other ones were under Maples, Lowe, and Hoptown's current coach. I got recruited because I put myself out there, I lived at camps and tournaments during the summer, others had coaches approach them like little Sahms, he just didn't have a lot of interest unlike Ryder

Hello folks! I am excited to get back to another year. IN_grappler you are rather correct about your information. Falconwrestling may have wrestled for Fort Campbell but he is incorrect about who was recruited. When we are talking recruited meaning I assume NCAA Div I and II or NAIA schools. Before Ryder no one actually ever did a National Letter of Intent for any NCAA Div I or II school prior to him. Bontrager went to VMI on a ROTC deal and Sahms was never recruited by UTC for wrestling it was possibly track. I remember speaking to Mr. Sahms at the 2013 state tournament his senior season and no school was interested in him for wrestling which was surprising but track was his only option at that time. Fort Campbell was never a real concern for any coach in region 1 or the rest of the state. They will always have one or maybe two wrestlers but that is about it. Remembering what they had last year and knowing Hedrick and K. Ryder are gone there is no true threat coming out of Fort Campbell this year. Well, let me rephrase that there is no true dominate wrestler coming out of Fort Campbell this year.

Falcon wrestling:

I agree with the majority of your rankings of course there will be some adjust as the season gets on the way. I have not seen many of the region 1 guys this off season like I normally get to see. I know we had alot of region ! guys heading out for more off season tournament than we have had in the past which should make the season interesting. I do not feel Union will be quite as dominate as they have been in the past but when you lose two nationally ranked guys it is hard to feel those slots. Falconwrestling as always not a bad job on the rankings but as usual we are always going to help you improve with additional information that you may not be updated on as things go. I did hear Austin may not be here for the upcoming season. That may be a story to run down. Take care!

Whereas you're correct in terms of Ryder being the only one to have a NLI, by recruiting I mean a coach approaching you and saying they want you on the program. Bontrager was given scholarships at the D2 and NAIA level but decided to wrestle D1 and VMI and Old Dominion were the schools looking at him. The UTC/Sahms thing was something he told me himself but it may have been an error in communication, he definitely had D1 talent and I don't say that often.

I say I was recruited because I received phone calls and emails from D3 coaches, as did wrestlers such as Jared Smith and I believe Drayton Simmons.

It's not that either of is was wrong we just have different definitions of being "recruited"

In regards to the skill level of Fort Campbell while yes we have always been a team of one or two dominate kids a year the team as a whole occasionally is competitive enough to be a threat. The issue always being losing kids to the army lifestyle, something Fort Campbell football has to deal with now that Tristan Luke isn't around to spark an offense (please don't mention the Mayfield game to me). If Fort Campbell got to keep and develop kids like other schools then I feel like the program would be a consistent top 20/30 school and be the perennial #2 team in Region 1 instead of Christian County. That may just be my bias

Sign in to follow this