Sign in to follow this  
Ranger123

Kentuckywrestling.com HS Rankings 2014/2015 - PreSeason JUNE 24

I finally gave in to the peer pressure and decided to post a summer update.  This time of year is tough because there are a bunch of kids who have been very visible so we know how they are growing (or not) while others fall off the radar and we are left to guess or leave them where they are.  Bottom line, they are just early summer preseason rankings. 

A few items of note:

- As soon as I hit post a thousand people will post or send me IMs about mistakes and errors.  Oh well.  As always, I welcome input/feedback. 

- Team Race = right now I see Trinity and Union County with a decent margin on the field, but the next half dozen teams have an outside shot and a clear drop off after that.

- Duals = with the strength of their strong development through River City, I think St Xavier has the depth to be the best dual team this year, but Trinity will also be strong in the format.

- Individuals = we seem to have more non-seniors and "unproven" guys near the top than usual.  This is maybe expected with the amazing class that just graduated. Assuming all of the weight guesses are spot on (and we know they are NOT), I can see some guys shifting weights to improve their chances at a title.

- Upcoming = I think I read somewhere that someone wanted to see a P4P ranking.  I also came across an old Grade ranking I did years ago.  Let me get with my buddy Dutch and we might be able to pull some of those together in the next couple weeks.

WR Rankings 2014_15 preseason 062414.pdf

Just a reminder, for the boneheads out there who tend to forget this, these are rankings and early summer rankings at that.  Rankings will determine exactly:

State champions = 0

Actual matches won = 0

Tournament seeds = 0

They are good for discussion and for the wrestling community to get an idea how the field stacks up.  As I have said on a number of occassions, rankings are not perfect and what I put together are no different.  Over the years I have put an enormous amount of time and energy into this process and thanks to the input of a lot of coaches, fans, parents, and wrestlers they have been pretty darn good.  And this season i have recruited a secret weapon to help me stay on top of things better so WE should be even more accurate.  But seeds, matches, and championships are won in the wrestling room and on the mat, not on paper/online.

But it seems a few times a year crazy moms and dads like to blow up phones with texts and voicemails or make uninformed comments on social media or on this site as soon as little Johnny isn't ranked as high as they would like.  So what.  It is summer.  When Johnny wins some matches during the season he will move up.  Post the results or send a nice PM to me.  If it gets ignored, so what.  It won't prevent him from winning further matches.  Then you can say I told you so.

As for trying to please anyone with rankings, it ain't happening.  There are probably only 14 people/families happy with the rankings.  Actually, less than that because I know at least one of those parents doesn't like me very much.  Oh well.  I hear plenty of whining about my #18 kid beat #16 in the backyard after my daughter's birthday party last week.  Everyone tends to ignore their losses.  Guess it doesn't matter that your daughter's 6 year old best friend pinned that #18 kid in 12 seconds.  Or even that he has a losing record.

The bottom line is this, for those who think they can do better, it is a free country and it doesn't cost you anything to post on this site.  Do your own.  All I can say is it's not nearly as easy as you think.  Read through the top 20 and figure out how many of those kids you have heard of or could pick out of a lineup.  Likely not many.  And then remember that we all get to criticize you when (not if) you are wrong.  And do it over and over.  Because as much as the soccer mom's like to whine and complain, they can never get enough.

Looking good Ranger....I like Chris Beeler a little higher and lovin' me some Tucker Hurst whatever weight he ends up at and Max Andreoni from Woodford.   Looks like Coach Green and Coach Chapman at Lafayette have a loaded roster this year....Torgerson will finish higher than currently ranked and so will Bossert.....Plus you got Landon Young who will run the table....He WON'T get caught this year unless ATM decides to go HWT....Don' t see that happening......Vasquez and Green...both MACHINES !!!!!    I see Lafayette TOP 3 for the first time ever !!!!

C'mon range don't mind the mindless.  Just keep up the good work and  tell us who is looking good this year.

The greatest thing about your rankings is that we can see some of those kids that we really don't pay much attention to, or have a chance to see during the year. 

You have been doing this for to many years to count. 

Now it would be nice to evovle a little bit. I know that we have Track Wrestling, but it would be nice if we could get the results posted on here along with the rankings.  I think that would also help with mama and papa pointing out #20 beat #18, and leaving out #20 lost to #30. 

Would be nice if someone (not me) could do like the other sport rankings.   Showing the top 20 and who they wrestled that week.

I know, I know there is no way that you could do this also.  But some of these others who seem to have the time to critisize the rankings could take this easy resposibility. 

As always:  These are the opinions of GOO nothing more and nothing less.

GOO out.

Huge fan of Landon. Would enjoy seeing him on top of the podium. The interesting thing with the Lafayette lineup is most will return. Will be tough for a couple years.

Ranger, 

Great job on the rankings.

Allot of us crazy wrestling dads really appreciate it, and the work you put into it.  

By the way, your follow-up post made me laugh so hard that I spit a drink all over my keyboard, (Probably because it’s actually pretty spot-on in regards to the absurdity of us parents)

I say AMEN Brother to the statement, “seeds, matches, and championships are won in the wrestling room and on the mat, not on paper/online.

Although I try to discourage my son from looking at the rankings, most of them all do it, rather they admit it or not. I know it becomes a topic during the lunch period at X anytime you update.

My advice (TIFWIW) to people upset by the rankings would be, use it as best you can to your advantage. (In pure “wrestling dad” motivational ways. :D )

If little Johnny feels that he should be ranked higher, and he beat this kid and that kid and so on, instead of blowing up Ranger, I would suggest that you tell Johnny to WORK HARDER so you beat everyone, every time, and leave no doubt.  

Funny thing is, anytime it is brought up in my household, which is rare, I usually remind him that there are kids he has beat in front of him, and others he has lost to behind him. My suggestion to him again is, WORK HARDER!

I remind him that the kids behind you are looking to kick your ass so they can climb up the rankings, while you are looking to kick the ass of the kids in front of you so you can climb up.

So it all comes back to WORK HARDER! (I know, I said it three times, no comments from the peanut gallery please.)

All I am saying is that the rankings should be for discussion and fun. Everything eventually gets settled ON THE MAT.  

Rankings are always for the fans anyway. They have whole sports TV and radio shows where rankings are discussed at nauseum. Usually for college football. It should all be taken in fun. 

Yep don't pay attention to rankings , let dad's and coaches do that just do your best and if your best is better than predicted then it still doesn't mean a thing because you wrestle for You and no one else and you know how good you are before any rankings from someone who doesn't know how good you are come out .

P4P should be interesting .

A decent tournament coming up in N Dakota in a few weeks maybe it will clear up a few questions on a few topics if they have not already been answered .

132- AJ Binder is at Fern Creek? When did that happen?

He probably will not be at St. X and it's not because he doesn't want to be there. I think that from a wrestling standpoint Fern Creek would make the most sense.  I will say nothing concrete has been decided.

For those who follow Meade Co. To my knowledge Chris Beeler has moved to wrestling IN and may end up in TX, Wade Beeler has moved to TX, and Devonte Duncan graduated and will attend West Point Military Academy. This will most likely will be a transitional year for the Meade Co Wrestling Team and first Year in newly built Wrestling room/facility. Many new Wrestlers and Coaches from what I hear. 

Saw some cool rankings Today .

USA future Olympian Rankings .

ATM at 4 at 220 surprised he made it that high with it being based on points scored from overall tourneys he has two higher placings than #3 at central Regionals.

It's about to get real Interesting IN Fargo.

and real interesting in the overall Rankings .

As wrestling could only help his performance and hinder it in no way as I do not personally see him.getting hurt" hes thick and tough "it makes little sense to me.he has more of a chance getting hurt in.football .

It all depends on whats in your heart.

Ranger you and your buddy Dutch get P4P together yet ?

We are close. Got distracted with a camp the last few days. Plan to finish it up by weeks end. Here is a start:

#1 Austin Myers

As wrestling could only help his performance and hinder it in no way as I do not personally see him.getting hurt" hes thick and tough "it makes little sense to me.he has more of a chance getting hurt in.football .

It all depends on whats in your heart.

I agree.  I coach both sports, and I'm way more worried about my wrestlers getting hurt playing football than the other way around.  I'd imagine the Eastern Michigan wants him to gain a little weight, but they can do that when he gets on campus.  I guess the possibility also exists that he could graduate early and head to college in the spring, which would certainly take wrestling off the table.

We are close. Got distracted with a camp the last few days. Plan to finish it up by weeks end. Here is a start:

#1 Austin Myers

I'd say you are headed the right direction!

I agree.  I coach both sports, and I'm way more worried about my wrestlers getting hurt playing football than the other way around.  I'd imagine the Eastern Michigan wants him to gain a little weight, but they can do that when he gets on campus.  I guess the possibility also exists that he could graduate early and head to college in the spring, which would certainly take wrestling off the table.

The coaching change may also be a reason.  Coach Simmons may have been what kept him comming out for the team.

#1 Austin Myers

I would also add.  Austin Myers, 2015 MVW/MOW whichever it is now.