Sign in to follow this  
WristControl

Tournament of Champions 2014

http://ohiotofc.com/PastResults/Details?year=2014

Some KY kids did really well against what appears to be some great competition.

Tucker Hurst-1st (3 OT wins just like he likes it)

David Carr- 1st

Max Andreoni-2nd

Jack Fallon-4th

Dylan West- 3rd

Logan Erdman- 3rd

Justin Lampe -4th

Dominic Lampe-3rd

Even old guy Ethan Miller gettin in on the action taking 2nd in Open Division hahaha.

Keep it up guys.  Offseason is when champions are made.

That decision has not been made to my knowledge so maybe unless NighthawkWrestling is Nate Carr and I don't know it perhaps let the family figure their plans out before you do it for them.

It may not be their place to say for sure, but if they have heard rumors, they have the right to ask. I've heard the same rumors, but we will have to wait and see.

congrats to all the ky guys, great showing

Just a few other kids that I followed this weekend:

Spencer Moore 5th

Ryan Moore 7th

Dii'on Leavell 5th

Kadin Kulmer 4th

Zane Brown and Daulton Mayer a match from placing

Duck,

I'm not a betting man, but I'd be willing to bet a you a Coke that David Carr is moving on to "bigger and better things" .  That's kind of been the popular thing to do these past few years and who can blame these parents for putting their special athletes in a position to compete for a state title in Ky as a 7th or 8th grader then move them back to their home state in a much better position to compete in their home state when they get to high school.  Btw..im hearing another young ms stud from another state is relocating to our great bluegrass state to do the same thing again next year. Speaking of rumors, that's just that but not started by me. That's what I heard. And I don't know who it is or if it's true.  My question is when are we going to stop this from happening? I personally loved the opportunity my own son had by wrestling varsity as an 8th grader but I see what's going on and it bothers me.  It's one thing to move here and stay here.   I could be wrong about Carr but I don't think I am.  My gut says he's gone.  I wish him well if he does.  We will see very soon.

Odd everyone saying he should or expecting him to leave when he has as good a coaching staff where he is minus the constant attention of his dad I guess , and if Woodford opened up a bit as far as scheduling and hit a few say four decent sized tourneys out of state it probably my would not make a difference where he was either KY or Ohio .you simply have to hit other aspects of the sport harder to make up for whatever else is lacking as far as comp or partners or whatever and nit be one lax where you are .

As for the MS stuff still say MS transfers should not be allowed to compete in HS in KY their first yr here .It would weed out the one yr pit stoppers .

Think Grazziani from CC went 2 and 2 , training hard hitting off season tourneys .

Like his partner Sinclair did last yr I expect he will jump from not placing to a very high placing next yr for CC.

Wells Holden Moore Krebs Yenter Sparh Mathews Grazziani Myers all with Major off season experience and a couple more I may be missing .All with shots of placing at state if everyone can find a spot .looks like at least eight placers for CC to me the key being the off season work "REAL WORK "A bit early to say but this team could be top 3 but some kids will have to hit the weight room and the chow lines to spread them out .Not sure about their young heavy but he is a go getter and being around the other upper weights at CC he could surprise if all the CC top kids get out of regions as ones and twos it could get nasty at state .but looking at last Yrs brackets region could be a huge factor if Mathews is at the right weight he could be a state champ and Grazziani is one of the strongest athletes in the state with some mat time he is a high placer and a potential Champ before he is through .

The biggest off season tournament in the nation is yet to come it should be filled with highs and lows .

Carrs haven't made decision on next year.  Just chill, you'll know when they do.  PinAndWin:  I am a betting man and I'm not placing a bet on a 15 yr olds future.

I would be in favor of a rule that kids coming from a state that doesn't allow middle school varsity competition to have to sit out one year before competing.  Seems fair to KY kids and also still allows for transfers to come in...they just have to be willing to miss a year (you could still practice just not compete in varsity matches).

It's just a Coke:)  If David Carr stays then that's terrific.  Nothing personal with the kid.  I totally agree with your line of thinking.  Something needs to change.  Just too easy to come in and leave and not fair at all to the kids that are there working to have a spot snatched out from under them when the transfer kid has no intention on staying.  It's not fair and not right.  I think it sheds a bad light on our state as well.  Makes us look second rate, a stigma we are striving to overcome.  JMHO

I agree but each situation is a little different. here you have a kid coming to Wofo to wrestle under his uncle and cousin's training.  David is in school, makes good grades, lives here etc.  Other kids that popped in for 6 months and then are gone the week after state tournament?  That is not fair at all.  Have to stop that from happening anymore.

Ok then I'll bet you a sweet tea :)

I posted something about the problem before the season started and I took a beating. I think that if a MS kid moves in from another state, they should be required to wrestle one season at the middle school level and than move up the following season. For example...if an 8th grader moves to KY, he can only wrestle the MS schedule. His 9th grade year he could wrestle Varsity. This would stop those that move in and leave. Again, this is not a Woodford County problem. It is a State problem. Unfortunately, the only way to get it changed is to get an AD to wirte a proposal and the Board of Control accept it.

Coach McCoy, I remember your comments on this and hoped you would chime in again. But it's obviously a non issue, because it appears no one in any sort of position of authority has tried change it. It's absolutely a state problem.

I posted something about the problem before the season started and I took a beating. I think that if a MS kid moves in from another state, they should be required to wrestle one season at the middle school level and than move up the following season. For example...if an 8th grader moves to KY, he can only wrestle the MS schedule. His 9th grade year he could wrestle Varsity. This would stop those that move in and leave. Again, this is not a Woodford County problem. It is a State problem. Unfortunately, the only way to get it changed is to get an AD to wirte a proposal and the Board of Control accept it.

I understand the problem, but this solution would possibly penalize the talented kid that moves in to live legitimately.  The 8th grader moving in for a year and winning state is still the exception rather than the norm.  The only way to easily prevent this from happening is to prevent all middle schoolers from wrestling in high school.  And that I don't think we should do.  

In doing that you will more than likely create a scenario where MS kids will no longer be allowed to wrestle in HS.

News flash....we're the only state to my knowledge doing it. Early on it gave our state the boost in the arm it needed. We are now on track. However, it's presenting a legitimate problem that needs to be addressed.

It's going to take folks like Coach McCoy that actually have a voice to put things in motion. Anyone see this the way I do?

I still believe it's a valuable asset having ms wrestlers being able to wrestle up. I know wrestling has come a long way, but you can use my program as an example. As much as I would like, I don't have the means to have a middle school team at this time, but I have 3 kids who wanted to wrestle. So this gave them an opportunity even though we don't have a ms team. Also unfortunately I have very low numbers. Those 3 middle school wrestlers filled 3 spots in my varsity roster, taking me from 7 to 10. So in my situation I'm all for it.

I'll probably get heat for it, but it comes down to coach integrity. Let's be honest, you know what the deal is when the situation comes up. As a coach if you know it's a move in one and done deal, just say no. It's like I teach my son, if you know it's wrong, don't do it. Regardless of whether it's technically "within" the rules.

And if it was only an issue of a kid coming in so that he could wrestle in hs and get better or have a chance at a title, how is it that those kids never are at a school that's not "in the mix" at state? Just coincidence I suppose they always find a house in a school district with a good wrestling team

just comes down to doing the right thing. Wouldnt have to changes rules if a small amount of people would just do the right thing

Well i don't believe those parents are going to tell the coach it's temporary either. I understand your circumstance and understand the value of allowing middle school kids to wrestle up. That's not my issue with it.

Sign in to follow this