Sign in to follow this  
WristControl

Tournament of Champions 2014

Well i don't believe those parents are going to tell the coach it's temporary either. I understand your circumstance and understand the value of allowing middle school kids to wrestle up. That's not my issue with it.

I respect your opinion, and maybe the coach deserves the benefit of the doubt, but I believe it's nieve to think the coaches don't know the situation. Imo

Good point.

I think its naive to think all coaches are going to do the right thing though as well. That's why there are rules.

I will add that I don't believe it's always the coaches call. Everyone knows there is pressure on coaches to win. It's not always easy to do what others see as right. Many outside forces also play into why things happen.

Which is why rules are put in place to eliminate temptation to do the wrong thing. Makes it cut and dry. I think coach McCoy's idea is a good one. Eliminates the temporary resident and still allows ms kids to wrestle varsity if they are capable. This needs it's own thread again.

Which is why rules are put in place to eliminate temptation to do the wrong thing. Makes it cut and dry. I think coach McCoy's idea is a good one. Eliminates the temporary resident and still allows ms kids to wrestle varsity if they are capable. This needs it's own thread again.

good point as well

Just a hunch, but I'm pretty sure the 8th grader(s) wouldn't have moved into KY in the first place if they had to wrestle a MS schedule for a year before wrestling varsity.  If they couldn't win a state championship in 8th grade in KY, why would they come?

Just a hunch, but I'm pretty sure the 8th grader(s) wouldn't have moved into KY in the first place if they had to wrestle a MS schedule for a year before wrestling varsity.  If they couldn't win a state championship in 8th grade in KY, why would they come?

Depending on which high school they were planning on wrestling varsity and in particular what county let him participate is the question. If in Jefferson county then why not wrestle and win a middle school state championship first? 

It would be great if every person was willing to do what is right, but they are not.  That is why rules are needed.  And even with rules, there are still those who will play in the grey areas and plead ignorance or say, "There is no rule against it."  (Of course we could argue what is "right" all day long.)  

It seems the best way to stop the one year transfer is to make the rule proposed earlier.  Any Middle School wrestler who has moved into the area will need to sit our their first year from Varsity competition.   They may practice with the Varsity and participate at the Middle School level.  After that year, they are eligible for full participation. 

And, is this really a "state" problem?  Do we see this happening at multiple programs throughout the state or is it unique to certain programs?  I know there is constant recruiting and attempts by coaches to pull kids out of other programs, but with the Middle School Move-In, is it that widespread?  

cmccoy - we are aligned sir.  I believe it would certainly eliminate the problem.  We all know it is not a 'widespread' issue as well.  If a wrestler wants to move in just to wrestle with a particular team (strong coaching/internal competition etc.) then who am I to say no.  I believe I would do the same for my own kid.  However, I would do it for that reason alone and would absolutely accept not wrestling a HS schedule for the one year as proposed.

Again, I see this as the exception rather than the rule.  Your talking about creating a special rule, that will require oversight, that could potentially have a negative affect on kids who legitimately move into state.  So what if a super stud 8th grader comes in and wins state once every 4 or 5 years.  As Kentucky wrestling continues to improve, the possibility of an 8th grader being able to come in and win high school state will become more and more remote.  

I would think we would have more important things to focus on. I don't think limiting competition is a step in the right direction.

Not to mention we are way off topic.

Again, I see this as the exception rather than the rule. Your talking about creating a special rule, that will require oversight, that could potentially have a negative affect on kids who legitimately move into state. So what if a super stud 8th grader comes in and wins state once every 4 or 5 years. As Kentucky wrestling continues to improve, the possibility of an 8th grader being able to come in and win high school state will become more and more remote.

I'd say the majority of the kids in 8th grade capable of winning a state title are supposed to be freshmen ,

I would think we would have more important things to focus on. I don't think limiting competition is a step in the right direction.

Not to mention we are way off topic.

Fitting comment since Woodford seems to benefit the most from the "one and done's"

• Upvote 1

Fitting comment since Woodford seems to benefit the most from the "one and done's"

Is that supposed to be a jab at me?

What do I care if Woodford benefits from an eighth grade transfer, " one & done"???

Is that supposed to be a jab at me?

What do I care if Woodford benefits from an eighth grade transfer, " one & done"???

Guessing this person is confused about which Coach Carr you are.

Recently Woodford, the past two years, has had MS kids move in and compete for state titles but that is hardly the norm for the vast history of the program. Almost all, upwards of 95%, wrestlers were home-grown and trained. Check the stats.

cmccoy, on 01 May 2014 - 10:34 AM, said:snapback.png

I posted something about the problem before the season started and I took a beating. I think that if a MS kid moves in from another state, they should be required to wrestle one season at the middle school level and than move up the following season. For example...if an 8th grader moves to KY, he can only wrestle the MS schedule. His 9th grade year he could wrestle Varsity. This would stop those that move in and leave. Again, this is not a Woodford County problem. It is a State problem. Unfortunately, the only way to get it changed is to get an AD to wirte a proposal and the Board of Control accept it.

What happens if the kid's parent is military and they move in to Fort Knox, Fort Campbell or one their surrounding communities? Do we deny those wrestlers a year of Varsity wrestling because others are not doing things fairly? What if the program they get involved with has no Middle School program? What then? Should it not be considered on a case by case basis?

Sign in to follow this