Sign in to follow this  
Mr Granby

Scholastic Duals

I was there and will tell you that Austin looked great. One thing that hurt his chances for MOW is that the Blue team fell to the Silver Pool. This is no fault of Austin but I do think that he was overlooked for that reason. There were several slams and I went to talk to the official about Hudson's. I agree that had I thrown a fit, I would have been asked to leave. Overall it was a great tournament. Team KY lost a lot of strong talent that are seniors but those that went wrestled tough and represented KY well.

I think kY blue being in the silver could have had a bit to do with it but that's not really a wrestlers fault . Had union not won state Brock would still be ow in KY for winning every yr , thought ATM might get that same nod at NHSCA ,

I was there and Heidorf got slammed right on his head and face I'm sure some people heard me complain lol but yes had our coaches went ape $ h/t as the Indiana coach did our coach would have been ejected and our team probably had points taken off , saw tape of another kY wrestler who was put out with a concussion get slammed twice , wth it was like let's wrestle the kY kids dirty because no ref will call it , I am betting had ATM slammed anyone he would have been tossed !!!!

No disgrace hitting silver pool The kY kids gave it their all and still did well , I do think that the teams of the past two Yrs had more top kids on the kY team , no matter those who came did their state proud .

Had a ton of fun hanging out with our wrestlers and talking to some from other states , union must feed Raynel before his matches he has a Hannibal lechter issue lol

.Funny watching someone give him a bit of an overzealous crossface then cry over getting bit and the ref actually give the kid a point that was rich our guy gets hit in the face and the other guy gets a point hahah

I thought it was great that KY Mudcats beat KY Red.  I still don't understand why they had kids on Red that did not place, and also had to forfeit 160 and 182.  A example is Mudcats had Andrew Auckley that placed 3rd and Ky Red had kid from Bourbon county that placed 4th.  Also at 132 they had fern creek kid splitting time with a CC kid that did not place.  This is only 2 examples, there were may more.  Only reason I bring this up is because I am alittle salty because my boy wrestled with the Mudcats at 170 and 182 and weighed in at 160.  He went 3 and 3 but it would of been nice for him to wrestle his weight class.  So I am happy the Ky Mudcats were the 2nd best team from Ky there.

I thought it was great that KY Mudcats beat KY Red. I still don't understand why they had kids on Red that did not place, and also had to forfeit 160 and 182. A example is Mudcats had Andrew Auckley that placed 3rd and Ky Red had kid from Bourbon county that placed 4th. Also at 132 they had fern creek kid splitting time with a CC kid that did not place. This is only 2 examples, there were may more. Only reason I bring this up is because I am alittle salty because my boy wrestled with the Mudcats at 170 and 182 and weighed in at 160. He went 3 and 3 but it would of been nice for him to wrestle his weight class. So I am happy the Ky Mudcats were the 2nd best team from Ky there.

I believe that some of the kids from the mud cats were not on the red or blue team because the coaches from their teams were not members of the coaching association. But it's great that they still got an opportunity to go.

I was told it had something to do with teams not paying dues not really sure not going there because it's not my thing nor do I know for sure because one team mentioned was Ryle and Logan was on blue so who knows either way there is two ways of looking at it more KY kids got to wrestle there than ever before although the teams placed lower .actually might be a better trade to give some kids some memories and experience in the sport , most states have two teams sort of an a and b with the confusion this yr the a and b were mixed up and the mud cats got to put together a strong team . Perhaps if kY puts together 3 or more teams again they should all have a scrimmage as well as a team kY practice !!!! That would b cool

As a matter of fact they could scrimmage an all sr team that would be very cool 4 kY all star teams scrimmage g before nat duals .

I thought it was great that KY Mudcats beat KY Red. I still don't understand why they had kids on Red that did not place, and also had to forfeit 160 and 182. A example is Mudcats had Andrew Auckley that placed 3rd and Ky Red had kid from Bourbon county that placed 4th. Also at 132 they had fern creek kid splitting time with a CC kid that did not place. This is only 2 examples, there were may more. Only reason I bring this up is because I am alittle salty because my boy wrestled with the Mudcats at 170 and 182 and weighed in at 160. He went 3 and 3 but it would of been nice for him to wrestle his weight class. So I am happy the Ky Mudcats were the 2nd best team from Ky there.

I was wondering how the invites were sent? Did you have to sign up for the team or was it hand picked? My son placed at state and would have been interested in being on the team.

Hopefully he places next year and is able to make the trip.

Great job to all the kids that competed.

Seems like you would want to send your best, wretling all together. As a competitive coach, I would not turn anyone away, but I sure as heck would make sure that my BEST were all on one team. I love as a coach, that wrestling affords you this opportunity. No politics, no favoritism, etc. Just the best! Not sure how this is put together, but like I say, I compete to WIN. Period. Multiple teams are great, but a competitive team is the one that you want to hang your hat on. If you go to an " all star" event, make sure your stars shine. Just sayin.

Yes that's how it should be I was told some teams didn't pay dues or some such thing either way not sure a couple more studs would have made a difference as far as getting into the gold pool Blue had to face Minnesota and they were tough think they won and I think we only won two matches against them Heidorf and Austin , still I agree but I also heard some kids simply didn't come football vacations whatever proud of those who did show up even prouder of those who did every yr even when asked to wrestle up ,

Great memories there goof luck to all the kids in the future , hope to see my baby cub there one day . Probably somewhere between 145 and hvy lol

That's good, I can't remember everything but even with another win and a few more top guy I still think kY blue would have ended up in r he silver because of the draw.

Who else won against Minn

I will be glad to explain hos members were chosen. First and foremost, there were no politics or favoritism involved. We went down the list of state placers and removed the seniors. We than sent invites to the coaches of the wrestlers that finished highest. One of the requirements to be part of Blue or Red was that the Coach needed to be a member of the Coaches Association. The reason for this is because the KYWCA funded the team by paying the entry fee, etc. That being said, the deadline to join the Coaches Association ended in January. Yet we allowed to coaches to join prior to the duals so that the kids could be on the team. If we did not hear back from a coach or kid, we began filling in holes the best we could. I personally had to reach out to several teams to get holes filled. We also had a hole on the Red team that was filled but on the Saturday prior, that wrestler backed out to wrestle for the Mudcats. How is that in our control?

Bottom line, we need coaches to support the growth of KY Wrestling and that starts by supporting the Coaches Association. The coaches association has come along way since the days of the past by offering several benefits for coaches who join. We also need coaches to help us with this by getting info out to the kids on their team.

Creating a format for assembling the most competitive team would not be hard...the difficulty comes with getting commitments to participate from the upper level kids.

For Folkstyle, just go down the list of State Place Winners from our KHSAA Championships and offer invitations.  The highest placing kid in a weight class who commits is first team, the second highest placer is second team, etc. 

It is obvious we really need to grow participation in Freestyle and Greco, but we could do the same thing.  As participation in these styles grow, use the placers in a Kentucky State Freestyle and Greco Championship.

That is exactly how it was explained over the last few Yrs and it has always seemed that way , doesn't seem like politics at all

The teams of the past couple Yrs may have been a little tougher because more kids who could have went did not this yr and maybe some issues with the governing body as far as dues got in the way seems there is was a strong push to have the best team possible .

The teams were competitive blue was top ten and the others held their own and a lot of kY kids got to wrestle I think k it has been stated before why doesn't someone in charge of kY fr gr make a huge attempt to put together a team for Fargo from Team kY nat duals participants ??? They are already right there , I think there could be a decent freestyle squad put together not sure about AA's but certainly some kids who could win matches , Greco , who could say I know most of the top 182 are big throwers but most of them did not wrestle at nat duals Smith would probably be a better free styler

I was told by some kids that the fr gr state tourney only had a few kids in it last yr is there anyone who can give us some #

As far as a kY team beating another kY team at nat duals the only reason someone should be happy for seeing one team beat another is if their kid was on it or they coached the winning team , it's a national tournament not a state one I always thought of all the kY kids sort of on the same team and I'm sure most of the kids do as well I have watched our kids there the last few Yrs most kids on the A team Blue or whatever team always cheered for all the other kY kids there there was never an us vs them mentality nor is their a need for one !!

I agree that I observed all our KY Wrestlers supporting each other, cheering and watching each other when they could. That type of comraderie is what we need to help them all improve and grow KY wrestling to the next level. We met wrestlers and families that we only knew by name and it was great to get to know them, talk with them and cheer on our Ky wrestlers together!

• Upvote 1

That's good, I can't remember everything but even with another win and a few more top guy I still think kY blue would have ended up in r he silver because of the draw.

Who else won against Minn

Bryce sheffer

Good good he was very tough and had a tough weight class there but I guess they are all tough classes there , I think he is only a fresh or soph , correct , .

At the end of the day it is ALL about getting kids matches on a higher level.  I was incredibly impressed with the grit that the Kentucky representatives showed.  I saw kids adapt to the competition and get better throughout the tournament. I saw kids go 7-0! I saw kids create friendships with each other, which makes Kentucky stronger. These guys now have more reason to continue training because they see the benefits of coming together.  We created the Mudcats to get kids experience, not to be competitive or rivals with the other KY teams.  As far as I am concerned we went to that tournament as a united front, not separate competitors.  I believe that three teams should go every year, simply because Kentucky is gaining depth each year.  By bringing more wrestlers it allows us to continue in that positive trend rather than becoming complacent.  

Everyone needs to support the coaches association, there is no excuse worthy of arguing.  By not supporting them it is setting Kentucky back in many ways.  I am grateful for people that have the best interest of Kentucky in mind, that is what the Coaches Association is for.  

Three teams is a great idea just hope their is a mutual effort to give KY it's best chance of placing as a state by everyone pushing for the best to go one one team .

Few significant things kept us from placing much higher. First and foremost our draw. In the same pool as Minnesota and they ended up winning it. Also, Hurst didnt make weight, Keegan Duncan got hurt as well as a few key guys that decided not to participate...namely Frankrone & Meiman. I looked as the results from last year's team to this year's team and a lot of these boys held their own comparatively speaking. Fausz won 4 last year. That tells you the level of competition. 6 wins and a forfeit for Heidorf. Logan came a hair from 6-1 if he doesn't step over that wizzer. Sheffer had some great wins and competed well ending 5-2. By the way...big respect for Saul ervin. He battled every match and fell just short in a few. Things could have been significantly different had these things not happened. I think team ky really steps up big next year and represents well.

Getting in the same opening pool as the eventual champs surely hurt not going to say some kids missing hhurt smith at 182 was just as good as any I do not think k he was as he was in parts of the reg season same for many .

All eyes should focus north west and towards Fargo now for any wrestling fans left in this part of the season .

I hear the sound of sheep on other threads that will soon be eclipsed by the roar of a Lion .

• Downvote 1

Correction Heidorf no forfiet

I could be wrong but I thought he wrestled the same kid both times on the 2 minnasota teams . I don't think the maroon had a 132 .

Sign in to follow this