Fargo

Forget that last post...I found the answer.  Here is the Kentucky description in a state by state breakdown of Fargo performance.

Kentucky
Not traditionally known as a wrestling state, Kentucky has only earned eight medals in the history of the six events, with four of them coming from Joe Carr Jr. Carr gave Kentucky its best finish in 1997 when he made the finals at 143 pounds where he was defeated by Sonny Marchette of Ohio. The Carr family is the same one that produced Nate Carr and Jimmy Carr, who made the 1972 Olympic Team while still in high school.

As I said before , to think you could put together a successful Fargo jr nat team is a bit of a stretch even for a state on the rise in the sport . Going from only having ever placed there eight times total as a state in the history of the sport to wrestling against teams who probably have wrestlers who combined have more than that on it presently , will not happen . Ky is not a fr gr state and it would be very hard to train a person who could double or win in Fargo , by double I mean place in both classes a feat that is considered the ultimate by some in the sport even better than winning one style because you have to wrestle multiple days on end and make weight multiple times , many of your champions stick to one style and hope to get an edge on those who are tough enough to double ,

I'm sure after NHSCA nationals and national duals , there may be a bit more to discuss on the topic , let the young lions focus on the tasks at hand before thinking ahead I'm sure ky could pick up a few AA plaques in Fargo if some of the best set their mind to it . I actually could see some doubling and making a nice run at a title , it would surely be a big moment for ky and actually the sport , the real problem is ky does not have proper camps and coaching to prepare for Fargo like other states do , when my son wrestled on the Ohio team and Doubled , Fahy actually went to the st Ed's Ohio Fargo camp with team Ohio and I'm certain it would not be allowed any longer .

And make no mistake the buckeye posters on this site understand the obstacles in the road for KY wrestlers at Fargo and choose to rub salt in a wound by trying to make ky wrestlers fans etc feel inferior for not having a strong Fargo tradition . Lol its hardly mandatory for being a great wrestler , just ask almost all the graham wrestlers who are in college they never put on a red or blue singlet in their live unless their college team wears those colors . And before anyone feels inferior Dont sweat ottos taunts there are wrestlers in ky that can beat any wrestler in Ohio in those styles and has .

Tarzan...

I saw where you said your son was a Double in Fargo...I am assuming a double champion.  That is impressive.  It may have been some time ago, but still..congratulations.  That always looks good on a resume.

• Upvote 1

No not a double champion a double All American - meaning he made top eight in Greco then top eight in Freestyle the same yr meaning the same week at Fargo he placed sixth his first cadet yr in free then returned and placed fifth and fourth I'm Greco and freestyle , he just missed making the finals his match with Bryce Brill is on you tube many thought Stephen pinned him in the match but the ref did not give it . Either way it was always his goal to double his coaches at Prodigy had always pushed him for the double rather than to focus just on freestyle which was what he seemed better at to most people and he had win schoolboy as well as cadet fr and gr state in Ohio as well as KY ,. He had some great matches in Fargo nearly beating Ben Whitford and beating Hayden Tuma , his classes there were always amongst the toughest , Collica Ward and Fahy were all in his class the first yr he Became an AA and none of them placed !!!

Its a different sport and a different level than HS state .

It is definitely a different world than a state tournament!  I also see that, sometimes, there are even triple crown winners...kids who win freestyle, greco and the USA Wrestling Cadet or Junior Folkstyle national title.   I think Indiana had a kid do that in recent years, Mitch Sliga....currently at Northwestern.  That's "big boy" right there!  

I saw Sliga at Fargo he was impressive , Ben Whitford who won Stephens class was a double nat champ and ow winner at cadet Fargo that yr.

Ohio is very competitive and did well Ill won I think with a big crop of recruits and more than their share of calls in my opinion . . Ohio had a few doublers that yr .and Walls from eds won a cadet title if I'm not mistaken .

Frankrone, Matthews, Brandon Johnson. I bet we could put together a great junior team.

All of you talk with Jon Carr. He is again heading the Fargo team. Always looking for coaches to help train, attend and help coach the team at Fargo.

ATM did dominate Nye who was 4th in Ohio. Nye barely missed the finals.

Nye was in a very tough weight class as well. Pre-season rankings had him #1 in state at heavyweight. The word was that he was going to bump to HWT as he was not going to be top dog at 220. I still don't know why he did not make the bump. HWT was down in DI this year. Nye took 3rd at districts getting stuck in one match in 1:42. Top four from each district advance. At state he beat a good Millin in 2nd round before losing to eventual champ Pfarr in semis. 

• Upvote 1

So, I comment on how tough 220 was while giving Nye props for taking 3rd and that is how you respond? I intentionally stayed away from the fact that Freauf stuck Nye in the first period at districts. Why? Because I wanted to keep this civil and give Nye props. Notice how I gave a link to the thread where all those "Ohio haters" congratulated Austin? Those same haters that have now gone on to wish Stephen good luck in NAIA. I never said Freauf could beat Austin. In fact, I said that I don't know that he could even score on Austin. So give it a rest already. Your act is a tired one.

• Upvote 1

talk about different level guys at fargo.. Aaron pico has to be in that conversation, he is one of the most dominate wrestlers to come thru the school ranks in a long time. However California seems to do well at fargo every year, they have some studs out there..

talk about different level guys at fargo.. Aaron pico has to be in that conversation, he is one of the most dominate wrestlers to come thru the school ranks in a long time. However California seems to do well at fargo every year, they have some studs out there..

Right on Leonidas. Pico is a freak!

http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/1/4/5267484/akas-bob-cook-aaron-pico-is-greatest-mma-prospect-ive-ever-seen

Pico isn't wrestling anymore sadly

Source? It's my understanding he is training freestyle only in order to focus on the Olympics. He's not wrestling in high school or college, but he's still on the mat.

We were talking about it on openmat so check there because I am easily mistaken. I think he is still wrestling freestyle with an eye towards the Olympics, but at the same time I remember very clearly his focus towards MMA which caused him to turn away from high school and even college (ala Henry Cejudo)