Fargo

I see a lot of national tournaments mentioned on our forum, but do we have many kids going to Fargo during the summmers?

If you look at the athletes who placed at the NCAA Division I Tournaments from 2006-2012, you'll see 83.36% of them at least wrestled in Fargo. 69.44% of the Division I All-Americans in that 7-year span also placed in Fargo.  (I don't have stats for the most recent tournaments.)

Just curious...

THIS is THE tournament to go to. The others pale in comparison. Freshman and Soph nationals carry little weight as the comp is sketchy. Things step up a bit at Junior nats, but still light years from Fargo. 

• Upvote 1

Even though I believe Otto is trying to stir the pot a bit with a certain poster, he is dead on.  No tournament, in-season or off-season, that we've been to/seen compares to Fargo.  This includes super32, ironman, beast, powerade, or any other name you can come up with.  Like the Rose Bowl this is the daddy of them all.

• Upvote 2

Greco is all upper body(throws, slide bys, body locks, etc). You can't touch, attack the legs. Here's a great video of an Olympic medalist, Dennis Hall.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AhtzLuQOMg

I prefer the Dennis Hall v Brandon Paulson match #3 from the 2004 Olympic trials. Greatest match I have ever seen. Watching it in person was amazing. So much of what wrestling is all about.

So, does anyone know if any of our kids plan on going to Fargo? My son is a youngster, but I like seeing how our kids match up against that level of competition.

Definitely need KYs best to represent. What you and otto had to say is Dead on!

Even though I believe Otto is trying to stir the pot a bit with a certain poster, he is dead on.  No tournament, in-season or off-season, that we've been to/seen compares to Fargo.  This includes super32, ironman, beast, powerade, or any other name you can come up with.  Like the Rose Bowl this is the daddy of them all.

• Upvote 1

Not taking pot shots at all. If you haven't noticed, I have stayed away from a number of inflammatory posts. What I stated in my earlier post is considered common knowledge. I don't mean to knock the other events, Fargo is the big prize hands down. Hey, nothing wrong with Fr Nats, or Soph Nats. The problem comes in when few of the better guys attend. This is and has been the case.The most important thing is to stay busy in the "off" season. Mixing in Greco and FS is a great way to keep things fresh. Further, you can add to your arsenal.

As an aside, there was a nice thread on Yappi congratulating Austin on his state title. What, you say? OH talking nice about a Myers? How could this be? Well, because the powers that be keep a certain person off the boards. In this way, we are able to enjoy watching/hearing about a good wrestler. Amazing how that works out. 

• Upvote 1

]Luke Fickell has done everything at the upper weights an underclassmen. He'd be the only one though. Too bad he chose football in college. He dominated in Ohio his last three years and won Fargo in decisive fashion as well.

And, Tarzan, it's an absolute compliment to be compared to Fickell.

State finals against an undefeated stud.

Fickell won Fargo and is considered by most to be the greatest high school upper weight wrestler ever. It's not even close....until now.

Saying ATM compares to him is an absolute compliment.

• Upvote 1

Really because I don't think so , particularly these days , I think Mat Koz or some other three time champs and four x placers in Ohio in d1 may disagree , I know a little as well bro

Not even a four x placer better than Koz or a Snyder your dreaming of course you probably want me to blast Fickel to lose some support for ATM lol you people are sick .

And perhaps it's as much a compliment to Fickel if not more so , I would think comparing him to who is going to be his states first ever four timer over 220 an undefeated wrestler who has dominated ohio as well as ky would be .

:)

Mr. Myers,

I'll state that ATM's finals match reminded me a lot of Fickell. Watching that match made me convinced he's a legit DI 197 lber right now. I'm not snarky enough to bait you into anything. I wish him continued success wherever he wrestles. I wish you the peace of ignoring the detractors. You'll never convince them of anything. Results speak louder than words and you can't argue with what's happened on the mat. I'll refrain from participating in any discussion of him.

That's very honorable as it becomes unclear as to your intent when you post along with those whose intent has been obvious since the day Stephen and Austin came to KY .

And thanks for the compliment there have been some great wrestlers in Ohio buts since Austin was about six he dreamed of being a four timer , his hero was Max Thomuseit and his good friend and former coach Ryan Root , he and Koz were very close when KOZ was at LaSalle .