Sign in to follow this  
Nkawtg

Kyle Lawson

And I also remember when the Louisville regions and districts were at the top, especially the East District

Yes, they have been both...at the bottom and at the top.  But if the numbers (recruits) of the private schools were the key to their success, they would have consistently been the best.  Of course, you'll get no argument from me that numbers certainly help!  You'll also get no argument from me that some of the schools have been more than aided by move-ins.   

You know, college coaches do 90 percent of their recruiting at national level tournaments during the late spring and summer , except for the Ironman, Beast, and NCWA. They don't want to watch a Brock or ATM wrestle a weak kid. Same thing is happening in all sports, club coaches are closer to college coaches than anyone. Highest level coaches I ever talked too were at camps and clinics. When I coached club soccer, I got a call from Anson Dorrance (UNC Womens coach All time winningest coach in any sport) and Jerry Yegerley (IU natonal champion coach) If you go to po dunk HS and you place at Fargo, Flo or NHSCA, they will fill your mailbox and phone. The advantages of Graham is that every time you wrestle for them, there isn't bad competition.

• Upvote 1

Private, public, big, or small, it makes no difference. Success is only defined by the one trying to obtain it. If you have an able willing wrestler with a knowledgable coach, the wins will come. Any coach that says he doesn't care if his kid is a State Champ, is a liar. We all want our kids to succeed. Now, that being said, does that define success? In my opinion, no, it does not. If the kid we coach learns the value of hard work and learns to be more than he ever expected, now that's success. Values, that's what this whole country is missing. As far as transfers go, everyone's situation is different. Do I always agree with it, no. Do I sometimes understand it? Sure. Bottom line, if you don't agree with transfers, make sure you can coach a kid to beat them. I could blow the lid off this site with what I know about less than admirable coaches, parents, and wrestlers from multiple teams, but it's not my story to tell.

Back on subject, once again, Congrats Kyle. Job well done.

• Upvote 1

Tapout not the same thing.  

School is about academics not about sports.  So transfering for academics is a lot different than transfering for sports.  I never said anything about gaining an academic scholarship.  I said just earning an education.  The education we are telling our kids is that you can bend, and take advantage of rules that we don't like or believe in. 

As for the college coaching thing.   You mean to tell me that ATM or Brock would have more college coaches looking at them if they were at Graham?  I don't believe that one bit

Now with all that said.  I believe that you should be allowed one transfer with no questions asked.  Then the second transfer would be have to be looked at with a fine tooth comb and only in very rare occations should it be allowed without a one year suspension.  Remember once again the kid will still be getting the education he/she is suppose to be getting in high school. Sports are a privilage not a right in high school.

I don't think school is JUST about academics. If that were true, schools wouldn't support any extracurricular activities. Most educators would agree that activities outside the classroom teach kids many things they can't teach in the classroom. In my opinion, school is about preparing people for life and hopefully offering opportunities upon graduation. Let's face it, athletics offer opportunities for many kids to attend colleges that they could never attend on academics alone. Furthermore, being a college athlete pays dividends well after college. Most employers value employees who were athletes and will hire candidates who wrestled or played another sport over some frat guy any day of the week. So if transferring to a school for athletics is going to open doors for a kid for potentially the rest of his life, I have no problem with it. Besides, in many instances the schools with great athletics have great academics also.

Would more college coaches be looking at Brock or ATM if they were at SPG? I don't know why you are so confident there wouldn't be. I think its safe to say that SPG is one of the best teams in the country and wrestles one of the toughest schedules. That can only help expose their kids to more college coaches. Also, as good as the coaching staffs are at CC and UC, they are not as good as SPG. Any wrestler, not just Brock or ATM, that spends 4 years in the room with Jordan and the rest of that team would improve more than in the room at CC or UC.

• Upvote 1

They still have attendance zones. If you don't live in their school district, you are required to pay tuition. They are not like a perocial school with no defined zone. And if you enroll after you have begun your highschool eligability, you are subject to a year of ineligability, without a bonified change of address to their district.

I like to just read this forum, but I had to get a login to correct this. In Ohio, if a public school has open enrollment, there is no tuition required to open enroll in that school. Sometimes the open enrollment is limited to adjacent school districts, sometimes it's the whole state. The open enrollment could also be limited due to capacity at the school, but if you are accepted, there is no tuition. 

Also, starting this year, if you transfer or open enroll in a new school once you have started high school, you only have to sit out 1/2 of the regular season contests in any sport that you participated in the prior year. You are immediately eligible for any sport that you did not participate in the prior year.

No Lawson would not have won anywhere , he lost this yr ???

Graham has no attendance zones get real I know kids who drove over an hour and a half to get to school there in HS and others who live waaaay out if graham school district who do not even attend school and show up for practice "home schooled in HS " it's always funny hearing ignorant posts about Jordan saying he want his team to be d1 in Ohio when he actually recruits and gets more kids from out of his school district than most private schools in Ohio . That said yes a lot would go there others would not the drama and BS that how along with that type of school is not for wetting look at their coaches Jordan - half his relatives are on the team coach Ryan - both his kids were ditto Taylor when he was there . No trying to break a lineup against a kid who's dad is a coach or his favorites is not for everyone .

Graham is a powerhouse and one if the best open May rooms on the planet but let's be real its far from fairy tale perfect .

• Downvote 1

ATM did get better in that room as a young guy , Brock would not get better in SPG because the facts of life are that no one cares for you like your own and the Ervin's have taken care of Brock just as Jordan has take. Are of his own and :) SPG isn't known for helping the big boys but CSM is so ATM is where he is taken care of as well .

Congrats to Kyle Lawson a transfer for a yr to ky something that needs to be changed . Let KY rules apply to help KY kids as for transferring when a kid comes in from out of state in jr high they Should have to set out of HS comp a yr .

Yes that should apply to everyone .

As for the college coaching thing.   You mean to tell me that ATM or Brock would have more college coaches looking at them if they were at Graham?  I don't believe that one bit

I think the Graham boys being on a perennial top 5 nationally ranked team are getting more attention than our KY boys. Not that our kids are being overlooked but the level of competition is two different levels.Jordan and Graham are one of the most highly recognized programs in the country. Love em or hate em its hard to argue their success.

Lets face it overall the KY kids have to really get out and get recognized to get the attention of D1 coaches, its improving but not the same level.

• Upvote 3

I think jr high kids wrestling in high school in KY days are numbered. But you can argue it has helped grow the sport. KY doesn't have population like our surrounding states and worships a sport that's not wrestling. Middle schoolers on high school teams have helped small programs be competitive to a certain level (I have used jr high kids in the state tournament several times and I believe we had the first one from Jefferson County to place) So we have some families that move in on occasion, I just hope wrestling or any sport doesn't over consume their life so they can't be a kid.

Lets also face another fact if a kid like Brock or Austin do well without being on a perennial top 5 nationally ea ked team in their own state and show up at nat level tourneys and win , I don't think it matters if you wrestle for Blair or Grant Co , or Harlan elementary , if I'm a college coach and I see a kid from a non powerhouse team dominate his state and when he visits states like Ohio and Indiana , then see the same kid show up on the radar winning nat tournys , I want that kid first because he evidently gets it done without the great schedule great partners and ranked teammates and coaches of top 5 times .

In other words I would take a Brock or an ATM OVER A KID FROM SPG ANYDAY when you take them out of that atmosphere and it becomes even up for everyone the guys getting it done without the advantage of jacked up room coach and schedule will dominate they have more room to improve .

• Upvote 3

That's the point Coach Koll from Cornell makes a lot. He looks for kids with the potential to make the next step. Gabe Dean was an excellent high school wrestler and was a state champ from a very good state (Michigan). He wasn't on a dominant team nor a "blue chip" recruit like many others. Absolutely nobody saw him beating Ruth and doing as well as he has.

The playing field has been leveled compared to 20 years ago. Flo, and YouTube give kids peeks into the latest training tips and technique. Graham/Jordan may have the luxury of blowing off Fargo and some other national events, but any kid can garner the national accolades if he gets out there in the offseason.

• Upvote 2

Sign in to follow this