Sign in to follow this  

Best Kentucky Wrestler Ever?

Tarzan:

"---------- is probably one of the only people in the sport in ky who is even remotely able to gauge just who is who and what they have done against top kids"

Don't get ahead of yourself. You might be surprised what knowledge of wrestling there is in Ky.

Off of the top of my head Collica-a 2X SC from Solon Oh.(coached by CSU AA Tony Digiovanni),2X Junior National FS champ, starts as a true freshman for OSU. Dance- 4x SC,from Christiansburg,Va(Coached by Iowa NCAA Champ Daryl Weber),2012 Super 32, Beast, and Ironman champ.Starts for Va.Tech.

Tuma is a stud in Greco.2X Junior greco champ,8th in Junior greco Worlds last summer from Centennial,Idaho, committed to Nebraska, going for his 4th state title this year.

Tony DiGiovanni!!! Next to Toukonen he was the best coach I ever had! The Solon open mats he set up in the late 80s and early 90s were epic. Imagine a ragtag bunch from Claymont showing up and doing work with the Walsh and other NE Ohio elitists. Well played CoachBrown.

Austin's run was impressive. My kid only lasted 33 seconds in the semis. The only performance I would put above it for a one tournament show was George King (171) from Union County in 2000. He won MOW of the tournament, fastest pin of the tournament, and most pins in least amount of time. All of this without the hype. Was under the radar until State for the most part.

Austin's run was impressive. My kid only lasted 33 seconds in the semis. The only performance I would put above it for a one tournament show was George King (171) from Union County in 2000. He won MOW of the tournament, fastest pin of the tournament, and most pins in least amount of time. All of this without the hype. Was under the radar until State for the most part.

George King was very impressive.  Nobody made it out of the first period against him!

In my 15 or 16 years at the KHSAA wrestling tournament, ATM and Murton are the most impressive individuals in have watched. They just dominate with such physicality and techinicality of which I have seen no one else have in Kentucky. Not saying Murton is the best, but he is one of them. 3x KY state champ, 1x OH placer as a freshman and had a tech fall and two first minute pins in his state finals appearances. We all know what ATM has done.

For anyone discrediting Burroughs' high school ability, when he wrestled, the Senior Nationals were the pinnacle of HS wrestling and had no competition. There was no Flo Nationals or other competing tournaments. All the best seniors went.

I havent been around that long but of those I got to see, I would have to say Jacob Murton. His speed and techinque was unmatched in the state at the time, not sure I have seen anyone since match it either. He had a pretty good workout partner in brother Jairus, very dominating wrestler as well.

Another very dominant wrestler was Taylor Scherer from South Oldham, not sure how he matches up with the best of all time but he was a beast in the state in his time.

His match with Coffey (sp) from TN was epic.

Havent heard anyone mention Richard Starks and he was 3Xer, I think. He went on to a good college career at Army,  awesome wrestler!

The best wrestler ever in KY probably has the last name Carr, but which of the Carr's would it be?

That may be the next post the best Carr to come out of KY?

Yes it is but Murton did not , was Buroughs a four x state champ ?? I don't know just going by what I have read he said he was not the best HS wrestler ??

Jordan Burroughs only won 1 state championship and it was his senior year. 

, funny ATMast loss was to Bo Jordan when he was a sixth grader and Bo an 8th he also got the crap beat out of him by Zeke Jordan at Jr High Iron Man , of course ATM was a fifth grader Zeke in 8th , you see you pay your dues wrestle the best embrace the pain and become the best .

How did ATM do in those matches against Bo and Zeke? Obviously the proof is in the pudding that if you wrestle the best win or lose it will have only positive impact on you as a wrestler.

The best wrestler ever in KY probably has the last name Carr, but which of the Carr's would it be?

That may be the next post the best Carr to come out of KY?

Adam Carr!! huehuehue

I saw video of ATM in the off season maybe 2 summers ago against a monster from Indiana, had never seen ATM before just heard of him and ATM wrestled like a champ barely beat him in a great match made me a believer, he looks like he's grown a lot since then come into his own physically, good luck over the summer

Just kidding about the 1.5-3 minutes...but I think Scherer would give him an ok match. Probably a MD to Austin.  Maybe a little closer.  Scherer was a big and athletic 215.  He is undoubtedly better than anyone Austin has wrestled in Kentucky.  I wonder how Austin would do against Bruce or Archie Stepp from Sheldon Clark?  Talk about a men among boys!

Talent and dominance wise ATM is a God amongst us mere mortals, a couple years from now will we look back and ATM will be in the top three alongside my guess would be Brock Ervin and JoJo. But as of right now Mr. Myers, give us a moment to think back to some of the really talented wrestlers of our past before they get overshadowed by the might that is ATM.

I've been around since the David Barnes days and I've never seen anyone more dominant than Austin. I know there's a couple of monsters at 220 in Indiana that I would like to see Austin wrestle in a match  but I think there seniors and are going Division 1 football. I mean really there's no one in KY that can challenge him and he's won everything from Nationals to Ohio tourneys and everything in between. Not to mention from standing beside him for a minute at the horsepark he's grown physically and with his work ethic could be an ncaa national champion. I look forward to watching matches oh him in college. I wish him and Sephen and his dad only the best of luck... Remember they've had to feed him all these years lol....He defines beast and just like FCHS said we all will be glad we saw this kid wrestle in high school because he has major things in front of him and I'm glad he's a Kentuckian. My only question would be will he wrestle 197 in college or heavy and I think that's yet to be determined because the kid keeps getting bigger and stronger. I wish him only the best.....

Glad I saw Boston and Brock wrestle as well as they are flawless in technique. but I just feel Austin is a very very rare breed.

Tarzan:

Did ATM ever wrestle Chalmer Frueauf?  A preview article of the Ohio state tournament has him (out of Moeller) "projected" as the Ohio state champ at 220.  Just curious if ATM had wrestled him in the past.

Fahy with his state titles and good placings in other tournaments , I know many would and will rave but the fact is he dodged comp at times even inn season to protect his record .
Cooper a 3 timer who wrestled all over and always did well and was very dominant at times .

M
Fahy with his state titles and good placings in other tournaments , I know many would and will rave but the fact is he dodged comp at times even inn season to protect his record .

Why would you spew that kind of crap?

Austin Myers will be one of the greatest wresters in Kentucky History. Hands Down. I think the reason he is not included yet by some is that his book is not completely written. The others mentioned have finished their careers.

Sign in to follow this