Sign in to follow this  
bumstead

region strength

This would have been a little different if Woodford was still in Region 7 -_-

just a little. Although you gain 4 in top 3, you lose 2. Wayne and Danville were not in 7 last yr.so you would be at 9

OK since Im a statistics geek and a ky wrestling fanatic here is the breakdown I have so far.

Champs.   R6=4  R4and5=3 R1=2 and R2and7=1

Finalists   R6=9  R7=7  R4=4  R1and 5=3  R2=2

Top 4 placers  R6=13  R1=12  R4=9  R7=8  R5=6  R2=5  R3=2  R8=1

Top 6 placers R6=20  R1=17  R4=14  R2=9  R5and 7=8  R3=5  R8=3

Top 8 placers  R6=24  R1=23  R4=18  R5and7=12  R2=9  R3and8=7

Region 6 had placers in all 14 Wt classes

R1 and 4 had placers in 12 Wt classes

R7 placed in 11 Wt classes

R5 placed in 9 Wt classes

R2 placed in 8 Wt classes

R3 and 8 placed in 7 Wt classes.

Region 6 had all 4 regional qualifiers place in top 8 in the 145 Wt class (the only wt. class that it happened in)

Region 1 placed 3 in both the 138 and 145 Wt classes.

**** the 145 Wt class only had 3 regions with placers in it.  R6 with 4  R1 with 3 and R7 with 1  ***

Yeah I know I'm a geek. 

I also have the grede breakdown.  But it is as expected the Sr placing the most and the most state champions and finalists.

Hey give me a break I haven't gotten that far yet.

I wanted to look at the how the placement went.

Ie: how did the regional champs fair. 

I believe the only finalists that were not regional champs were at 160 and HWT.  Both were regional runner ups in R6.

Hey give me a break I haven't gotten that far yet.

I wanted to look at the how the placement went.

Ie: how did the regional champs fair.

I believe the only finalists that were not regional champs were at 160 and HWT. Both were regional runner ups in R6.

Hwr both finalists reg 6 ??

In order to determine true REGION strength, you might need to look at how many DIFFERENT schools in a region place, score, etc. If one really tough team dominates a region and then also dominates at state, that may not indicate that their REGION is the strongest, but that a particular team in the region is strong. (Maybe you did that; I haven't looked at it yet.) :-)

I love the statistics. Thanks for calculating it all up and sharing!

I wonder how many champs placers from different schools came from reg 1 , which brings me to the point of ,it's harder to bring a team to state and win from a stacked region with less likely chances to take your whole team or most of it !!!!

I wonder how many champs placers from different schools came from reg 1 , which brings me to the point of ,it's harder to bring a team to state and win from a stacked region with less likely chances to take your whole team or most of it !!!!

I agree somewhat, but also look at it this way.  If you take 10 kids from your team to state from a stacked region, don't you think the chances of them winning matches, scoring points and advancing, thus potentially placing would be better than if a team took 12-14 kids to state from a region that wasn't as stacked?  Unless of course those 12-14 kids from a team in a region not as stacked would have a chance at placing in the stacked region as well meaning they're just that good?  I'm not knocking any region, team, wrestler, etc just wondering what others would think in this scenario.

Yes, with the caveat that coming from a "weak" region you get more #1 and #2 spots coming in and better draws theoretically.

Agreed, but we have seen plenty of 4 seeds beat a 1 seed and 3 seeds beat a 2 seed and then you never know what you're going to get in the wrestlebacks, which many people say is where the team championships are won.

I agree somewhat, but also look at it this way. If you take 10 kids from your team to state from a stacked region, don't you think the chances of them winning matches, scoring points and advancing, thus potentially placing would be better than if a team took 12-14 kids to state from a region that wasn't as stacked? Unless of course those 12-14 kids from a team in a region not as stacked would have a chance at placing in the stacked region as well meaning they're just that good? I'm not knocking any region, team, wrestler, etc just wondering what others would think in this scenario.

That's ridiculous , having a conversation with someone at state in the early rounds CC was waaaay behind I said well there are other schools starting with 14 percentage wise looking at scoring we are not so bad we are actually gaining ground and did , it's a somewhat flawed system , but its the best way to do it . Without a doubt if you come from a weak region and have a good team you have a huge advantage not only more wrestlers but better seeds and you there are big differences between the top kids in Ky ,

If you win state from a tough reg or the toughest like 6 you are on a different level for sure , there is no doubt

OK here is the team point break down.

There was 2,917 total team points in the state tourney.

R1 =  515  Union Co. top with 203         18% of the total team points.

R2 = 287   North Hardin top with 68.5    10%

R3 = 218   Fern Creek top with 91.5      07%

R4 = 440   Trinity top with 140                14%

R5 = 318   Woodford Co. top with 135   11%

R6 = 609   Campbell Co. top with 190    21%

R7 = 333   Henry Clay top with 104        11%

R8 = 199  Johnson Central with 50        07%

OK just to prove I am a statistical geek

Taking away the top team scores here is the break down.

R1 = 312      16%

R2 = 218.5   11%

R3 = 126.5   07%

R4 = 300      15%

R5 = 183      09%

R6 = 419      22%

R7 = 229      12%

R8 = 149      08%

You asked for it Ranger I provided it for ya.

Here is a question. Why is region 8 having sucha hard time competing!?!? I live in this region and this was not the case when I was in high school. Is it coaching?? Is it the number of kids competing in wrestling in other parts if the state? Is it the strength of te feeder programs? The offseason schedule??

I understand many may not want to answer this question. But if we are to move forward as a state we need to promote the sport statewide.

Here is a question. Why is region 8 having sucha hard time competing!?!? I live in this region and this was not the case when I was in high school. Is it coaching?? Is it the number of kids competing in wrestling in other parts if the state? Is it the strength of te feeder programs? The offseason schedule??

I understand many may not want to answer this question. But if we are to move forward as a state we need to promote the sport statewide.

Actually too many people will answer that question in a less than constructive way. I think the region was just down a bit this year. Historically we have picked on the old region 3. I would expect region 8 to pick it up with a lot of young talent at Johnson central and Martin county (ie Sheldon Clark) making a comeback at the youth and middle school level.

Sign in to follow this