Mike Calhoun

State Observations

For the second time at state I saw a kid go to shake a coaches hand and the coach ran off and did not shake his hand a but different than the JC coaches not shaking sams hand but still tacky. A Scott coach runs off to coach another match and leaves a kid hanging , IF a wrestler is expected and should shake hands after a match a coach should as well and if they are the only coach get an assistant to show the respect you lack .

Isn't Scott the school with one coach?

Like I said if your the only coach get an assistant ,or a wrestler , its rude unsportsmanlike and just an excuse to get away with being an @$$ .

Never been a big Union fan. My heart broke though for Trae last night. He didn't look himself in the finals match. Felt he wrestled not to lose. I hope it don't keep him down long. He has a very bright future. Just a horrible way to go out. Not taking anything away from Carr. He wrestled a perfect match.

Kudos to Tucker Hurst. Great kid, hard worker and tremendous heart. Really enjoyed watching him battle to win it all.

I predicted Mason Smith making the podium. Told people all year he would do better than 6th was my prediction. Great job. Keep working hard.

Aj Bindner. Keep your head up. It was just one of those tournys. Not your day. Definately could have won it on any given day. Get back to work. You'll see your day in the sun.

Your son did an amazing job. Making it to the finals is a tough task. I have a feeling he will be back. Thanks for all your support.

Wasn't there a state champ a few years back from Ballard that transferred in the off season to Trinity or X (can't remember which one it was) that was deemed intelligible and had to forfeit his senior year of eligibility? Not questioning Tyler eligibility at all. Just curious what makes one transfer ok and another one not ok.

Never been a big Union fan. My heart broke though for Trae last night. He didn't look himself in the finals match. Felt he wrestled not to lose. I hope it don't keep him down long. He has a very bright future. Just a horrible way to go out. Not taking anything away from Carr. He wrestled a perfect match.

Kudos to Tucker Hurst. Great kid, hard worker and tremendous heart. Really enjoyed watching him battle to win it all.

I predicted Mason Smith making the podium. Told people all year he would do better than 6th was my prediction. Great job. Keep working hard.

Aj Bindner. Keep your head up. It was just one of those tournys. Not your day. Definately could have won it on any given day. Get back to work. You'll see your day in the sun.

why not a union fan? A small school from a rural county, it is really impressive what they do as a team. Only 5 stop lights in the whole county, these large schools who have numbers should dominate a team like that yet year after year union is in the running.

Tyler's a beast won a beast class , amazing match with Courtney and a great finals along with a great yr , he's a class act as is his family .

Nuff said .

I agree union is very good and I have never been there , but the tiny country bumpkin story don't pan out with me or anyone else they are a top team who compete everywhere with a great staff and fan base , get of the we are just a little ole country school kick . There are nationaly ranked teams from little ole towns ever heard of st Paris graham !!

And despite my sons school I am a big union fan . Congrats to them their team and coaches .

Like I said if your the only coach get an assistant ,or a wrestler , its rude unsportsmanlike and just an excuse to get away with being an @$$ .

I feel that Coach Graven was not in any way being an a$$. He simply didn't want to hold up another match for any longer than necessary. The match he ran away from, was my younger son's match.  My son said the other wrestler was saying he was going to get sick and so not knowing how long it would take for him to get up, he had to make a decision, he did check on the wrestler who was down and then ran to the other mat to coach the other waiting wrestler. The wrestling program at Scott is not loaded with coaches. There is not a team or staff of coaches. There is one head coach who works really hard with the guys and one asst who works part time and was not able to be present. I know there is a lot of rude, unsportsmanslike conduct, but that was not the intention of Coach Graven.

Well when you see an upset kid walk to a coaches corner and see the opposing coach running off its rude and a bit embarrassing for a kid , for such a decent school with so many parent fans they cannit get a coach or assistant or wrestler or parent to help out and at least shake hands , hard to believe ,either way nit the way its done !!

Yeah its hard because I'm still mad about trinity beating us at duals but I'm getting over it :)

Congrats

Nice talking to Mr Bryant as well his son was a monster still think he and Austin would have had an epic Monster match , glad they both got titles last yr .

Iwin I believe Troy Wismer who place 3rd or 4th at state his jr year left trinity and was declared ineligible the next year. that's been a while though, like 2003 or 2004

Iwin I believe Troy Wismer who place 3rd or 4th at state his jr year left trinity and was declared ineligible the next year. that's been a while though, like 2003 or 2004

Wismer placed 4th for THS(2003) and then transferred to Oldham Co. for his senior year. He did not change his residence and was declared ineligible.

Wasn't there a state champ a few years back from Ballard that transferred in the off season to Trinity or X (can't remember which one it was) that was deemed intelligible and had to forfeit his senior year of eligibility? Not questioning Tyler eligibility at all. Just curious what makes one transfer ok and another one not ok.

Jordan Lewis was a State champ for Ballard in 2003,3rd in 2004,then transferred to THS in 2005.

Ballard had lost their coach due to illness and from what I understand they were not going to have a team in 2004-5. Jordan began the year training with the THS team and sometime around late October

(If I remember correctly)Ballard hired a new coach and subsequently Jordan was ruled ineligible after multiple appeals. It doesn't always work out for the kids.

Thanks for clarifying Coach Brown. I remembered that the circumstance was a difficult one, but could not remember the details. Jordan seemed like a good kid too. It's ashame it didn't workout for him.

You know if you move from one side of Middletown to Westport Road and your still in Eastern's District , you can't transfer to Ballard. Frankrone never left Trinity's attendance zone because they don't have one. If all you have to do is just change addresses to change private schools that's crazy , advantage privates. This school year 3 athletes changed private schools x to trinity and trinity to x and were declared eligible even though they played varsity but 80 % of athletes that left a private school to a public school had to sit a year even with change of address because no where you move you can still attend private school. Problem is ever since a certain state lawmaker that was a catholic alumni wit the initials TS spoke and said what ever the KHSAA does we can just change the laws or disband the KHSAA . the privates have had the advantage , notice we didn't get the split

I am going go off Naplesme-

1. I am not going to be too critical over officiating and I did say this to one of the Shaw's. The biggest problem we have right now is not consistency across the board. This is not a state tournament issue this is in general. I have NO PROBLEM with officials, I did a couple middle school duals and I know I missed a couple calls. I held myself accountable for it, but we need more mentorship of younger officials by veterans. I come from TN where the older officials will give tips to younger officials. I rarely see this happening at tournaments. If I am wrong I will eat crow on it. 

2. Congrats to Union Co. for winning the state championship. It has been an amazing time to see Brock win his 5th title. Congrats to him and his family. ATM, Carr, Boston, Fauez, Frankrone were fun to watch. Congrats to Dixie Heights 285. That kid had a TOUGH road to the finals. Congrats! 

3. Horse palace needs to go. Before I slam the venue, I do like the spacing and how they opened up the stairway near the warmup area. But something needs to change. If Horse palace is where state will be held then we need to have a tarp go over the floor after they put the divited floor covering down. Why is bringing a cooler in for WRESTLERS such a huge issue?? If the team brings in the cooler for a team such a problem??? I know a couple coaches and I had issues with this because some parents could not send their kid with 100 dollars to eat over priced food. 

4. The finals change. I thought at first this was a very dumb idea, but after a while I really liked the idea. As much as KHSAA created such a fire storm I really like the one mat near the medal stand. I liked it. I wish we could do the spot light again like the dungeon and still keep the 1 strip of lights on. 

5. Medal rounds. This was a GREAT idea by KHSAA. The down time with the KYWCA awards is a great idea.  I know KHSAA is slammed so much, but they did get this right.

6. Track wrestling/WIFI connection. I am a fan of using track wrestling for state for the team score and brackets updating quickly. I think Horse palace might want to think about using the WIFI connection for everyone. Not everyone has an iPhone or Android phone to look up brackets. My iPad was connected to my phone, but I know some other coaches I spoke with did not have the same as I did. 

Congratulations to EVERYONE this season. A GREAT state tournament. 

My observation from state is very neutral i no longer have a son wrestling but i love the sport. The intro to the finals very sad, this is wrestling not chess these boys look forward to the hype of running in and the music. the mat being moved out of the center had nothing to do with the youth tournament they used all new mats. There was also a spot light used for the youth it's not a traditional spot light but they could have used it. The dirt in that arena was horrible i have attended all three years and this by far was the worst. I think the overall feel of the tournament was a bit disappointing a lot of the enthusiasm was taken away. I understand no one wants to get hurt i also don't think that a few bad apples should spoil it for EVERONE else. The last observation is the sad excuse medals that were given out. It started with regionals when the wrestlers were given a plastic Baggie with the medal in it. I don't think the medals need to be some big huge medallion but you have boys that have worked their tails off all season and give them a medal the size of a half dollar. I love the sport of wrestling and i really hope that the khsaa listens to the parents and coaches and not do what they want to do just because they can.

• Upvote 1

Let me clear this up. All this crying about private schools having kids bounce back and forth because of no zones or boundaries is crazy. Tyler was in public schools before high school. I was approached by 3 different coaches from public high schools in Jefferson county letting me know that they wanted Tyler and it didn't matter where we lived! Nobody from St. X OR TRINITY approached me Tyler's 8th grade year to inquire about where he'll go to high school. I contacted them! So tell that fairy tale public school myth somewhere else! Because it happens in public schools! Period!

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 2

With that big scoreboard, it would be nice if the score could be kept on the big screen.  The finals match was obscured for many people in our section due to the score clock being in the way.  

I really miss the celebration that took place prior to the finals.  You can have both safety and celebration.  

The medals absolutely are ridiculous.  With the ridiculous prices, can't the state buy a decent medal for the kids?  I know the KHSAA surely has more money than the Middle School organization, but there medals are second to none.  

The tickets are $25 and a t-shirt is $20.  After food and drinks, costs are easily $60-$80 per person to go to the State.  Families cannot afford to go watch, and accordingly, the attendance at the event is not very good.  I know the attendance was about 4,500, but most of that was wrestlers.  There needs to be a way for ticket prices to cost $10 a day.  

The reason the medals are so small is because of Title IX. Everything has to be the same for every sports I that's why the small medals. Could it be possible to get businesses to sponsor the awards that way we could blow up the size if the medals?

Wow!!!

What a great tournament from top to bottom. We had great matches starting from the first round all the way through the finals.

The skill level has never been higher from the bottom up!

I'm left with the impression that besides the technical aspect improving the scrambling abilities across the board are just phenomenal.

It's incredible to see the 220's scrambling and moving like lighter weights... well except for ATM's opponents.... Just kidding.

Congrats to all the coaches and wrestlers, great job this year!!!!!

I don't get why the refs and doctors are SOO strict about skin for the last tournament of the year and the biggest. Ruined a lot of careers... Andreoni got DQed and had a legit chance to win it beating Whalen. Jude is a senior and had a doctors note and still got thrown out and also had a chance to place. And Forrest Vaughn from bourbon is also a senior and had a chance to place... Numerous other kids as well,vomit remember all

• Upvote 1