Mike Calhoun

State Observations

There is no playing the rules Ed. Moving is in the KHSAA rules to be an exception. Didn't Blackwell move a few years ago from Northern Ky to Union!

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

It's the offensive wrestler's responsibility to safely return his opponent to the mat. Otherwise wrestling would be part-MMA. We don't want that as it would cease to be a high school sport.

If an illegal slam happens and a kid fakes or his coach makes him fake an injury, I agree, that's bull. However, if the defensive wrestler is rendered less capable than he was before the slam, it's the offensive wrestler's fault and he should be held accountable.

I've always hated the rule. It puts the "blame" on the wrestler who was just dumped on his head. I've always felt that if the rule is for the safety of the wrestlers make it an automatic DQ. I've seen a few matches where a kid has been injured but continues the match and gets hurt worse AND loses the match he probably should have won.

He actually changed attendance zones, X and Trinity have no attendance zones, you can live in Indiana and go to those schools. Im sure you have neighbors that go to X. You found a way or your kid to change schools and be eligible, you did what any good parent would do that is best for your son. My beef is that the KHSAA changes their minds every year on enforcement of these rules and actually Blackwell left University Heights and arrived at Union the same year Jaycee Carr left Johnson Central and showed up. If I actually wrote the rules, I would give everyone 1 transfer after that I would add rules a little stronger than what we have now.

No question the rule is for safety , sad part is that their are coaches that have less morals.  They should expand injury time on dangerous moves  (moves that involve a DQ to 5 mins) A kid that just gets his breath knocked out might not be ready in 2 mins but would be in 5. I have just seen this bad scene happen to too many good kids. I know if you are going a err, err on the side of safety, but how do you explain to a kid the worked hard, hits a clean move and the kid turns or wiggles weird, or his hand slaps the mat, rolls around like he is dying and when the 2 mins are over he celebrates like he won the lottery. If a kid wins by injury DQ, shouldn't we be really careful and he not wrestle the rest of the day?

Under KHSAA rules Tyler should have been ineligible, I have lost many years and a def regional team championship because of these rules even when they first declared eligible and change their mind a week later because a state rep that also has ties to KHSAA enforcement said "Anyone that leaves a private school should have to sit out a year no matter what" then the KHSAA schedules an appeals hearing 3 days after regionals. Sorry If still have a few sour grapes over that one. Sad thing is that the kid did something stupid and was asked to leave. No offense Mr. Frankrone, your son is very talented, just tired of the ways the KHSAA plays with their rules. It would have been ironic if they lost by 28 points though

Big Ed did you just say my Son did something stupid abd was asked to leave St. X?

bigedcoach Said:Yeah, especially Christian County because I remember a kid that laid down in the state semis from Christian a few years ago after he was losing a match and got to go to the finals"

Name the Kid!!!! I've been involved with Christian County wrestling for 14 years it never happened. The only time anything even close to that happening was in the early 2000's. It was in the  152 quarters, the Waggoner kid dropped our kid on his head, knocking him out. He was taken to the hospital, treated and released. He wanted to continue wrestling the next day, but we made him forfeit out to 6th place. Who are you to disparage the name of a program you obviously know nothing about?

He actually changed attendance zones, X and Trinity have no attendance zones, you can live in Indiana and go to those schools. Im sure you have neighbors that go to X. You found a way or your kid to change schools and be eligible, you did what any good parent would do that is best for your son. My beef is that the KHSAA changes their minds every year on enforcement of these rules and actually Blackwell left University Heights and arrived at Union the same year Jaycee Carr left Johnson Central and showed up. If I actually wrote the rules, I would give everyone 1 transfer after that I would add rules a little stronger than what we have now.

Ed,

If you have a problem with the KHSAA take it up with the KHSAA.No need to involve someone you don't know because your mad at Association.

You don't have any idea as to what your talking about concerning Tyler.

CC FB coach loves ATM lean and mean , was very happy when wrestling approached and he started dripping from just over 230 .

Frankone is a beast looks like a college wrestler already .

Steve Hollin illegal slammed a kid a couple Yrs back at state got DQed sent back to sixth and the kid won state ,

ATM wrestled him his fresh yr amidst a lot of stares smack talk and whispers of this kid will hurt you , he did throw a vicious elbow he got called for and ATM returned with a couple healthy but legal crossfaces that he did not , a good match good times , saw a couple healthy crossfaces at pickerington this yr too that got a lot of boos from the Ohio fans even some scribble g from coach B who missed the vicious headbutt to ATM s nose that we fans saw :) refs once again chose to say turnabout is fair play , sucks when calls are bad but I do notice some refs and I know it to be true try to make up for a possible bad call if they get the chance , no one is perfect and at least a ref or two can admitt it and try to even stuff up at times .

It would Stink to get Dqued for slamming a guy you were handling and then watch them win state .

I agree hats of to a kid for wrestling I stead of stealing a win from a slam .

1. The matches were great as always. Loved watching Brock win his 5th, the Carr upset of Blackwell, ATM was incredible, not to mention the great matches in the earlier rounds.
  2. Why wasn't there more made of Brock being the first 5-timer, ATM winning his 3rd straight, Boston being #1 in the nation, All of the wrestlers who are going to be moving on to the next level? Isn't this the place we should be celebrating those who are the pride of our sport?
  3. The refereeing was inconsistent, One ref cautions for starting  hand down -3-point stance another completely ignores it. Some call stalling right away, others wouldn't call it if their life depended on it.
  4. The finals introduction was terrible. What happened to the run in and music?
  5. Finally, ANYPLACE BUT THE HORSEPARK!!!!!!! It's dirty, has no scoreboard. overpriced food, multiple people- wrestlers, coaches, and fans with Sinus and breathing problems because of breathing in that dust and dirt. Before we left some of my FFA students asked where we were wrestling the state championships. When I said the Horsepark. the reaction was Why? it's an arena meant for horse competition not human beings.  Anybody know the answer?

Yeah kids teams and all the bells and whistles should be celebrated , Brock at 5 is awesome , union although I wanted us to beat them and scoring WAS not done timely or correctly winning was big for wrestling the state and them it's actually good it goes around most kida on CC have rings Brock trae and those guys got some as well and on that note to answer a ? From a few weeks back :)

Yes CC us a DYNASTY champs in twelve dual champs and runners up in 13 and runners up in 14 , most teams would die for that record over a three yr span and it is the best in the state over the past three and there's more coming.

Carr seemed like a great kid and wrestler , I met trae a couple times liked him a lot felt bad for him same as for Courtney they feel like my friends a smile and a conversation a mutual love of the sport hate to see them lose but it's all a part of life everyone will lose only champs come

Back and learn from it .thought Turner got shafted a bit on some calls hated seeing him lose as well he could have won it all on anothe day .

Every single person in the room should have cbeered for Brock in the end , he is special one of a kind , same for Boston such mat awareness without having visual he automatically knows where his opponent is at all times reaches anywhere and does his moves remarkable Bricks balance and flow is the same , Austin's power that everyone notices and speed are Dominant few of his other attributes are even seen no one has reversed him or finished a td on him at state or in state !! He improved a bit this yr physically and seemed to not lose any if the skills he acquired as a youth wrestler in the great rooms and camps he attended and CC has practices and a room equal to the best in our area including Cincy ,

I'm sure he wants to represent as Brock Boston , Stephen Cooper and everyone else has , he has a shot to set himself apart and I hope to keep him on track .

very proud of Sinclair for training with us the last few months Grazziani Austin and Sinclair worked hard I the gym training having fun an drilling a few hrs a night after practice very honored to hang out with them and like I said :) Sinclair did schock and I like Raynel :) but we were shooting for him lol

Congrats NICK on your runner up at HVY ,

We are going to have some fun till next season ATM and Grazziani are gym rats it will not be comfortable wrestling them ,

And to the announcers on ihigh at state great job but you left out Austin's whole fresh record ! He wasn't 109 at state 139 -0 all good ,

Good luck at Iowa st Boston ,looking forward to seeing u soon :)

Richard, My observation was the irony of X losing 29 team points because a kid transferred for what ever reason. I definitely don't have problems with the Frankrones and the KHSAA has heard plenty from me. I even wrote a graduate essay about athletic policy and used information from the KHSAA that is found online. If the kid went from one school to another to improve his life then the parent did the right thing, but lie a have always said the KHSAA is a weird animal. I just can't see how he got declared eligible but for him Im glad it happened

boy would any wrestler love to have the genetics of the Carr's

Naplesme- I do know the Christian Co program and my brother was the coach of Waggener for that match and I was sitting front row because I knew the Murray's, so knowledge if what happened was right there, and I have seen Christian Co for 25 years in wrestling both as a wrestler and coach so.

It is in the bylaws of the khsaa that when a student moves, it's the one exception to the rule to stay eligible and to not have to sit out a year in sports.

We moved in June of last year.

106- Hurst has some serious heart. He was fun to watch. Tough as nails.

113- Sheffer is so smooth with his wrestling, love to see him scramble and mix it up.

120- Boston is amazing to watch. Great move to move transitions and basically just makes kids quit.

126- Carr is a darn good wrestler. I enjoyed watching such great young talent. Biggest upset of the tournament.

132- Ervin is great to watch. First 5x state champ in KY. Amazing.

138- Fausz is a stud. He's a beast on top and is very technical.

145- Whalen, similar to Hurst is tough as crap. Always ready to rumble.

152- Lampe is such a hard worker. Like seeing him grind it out.

160- Lampe is just a huge 160lber I think. He is tall and strong. Dude is a warrior. Head taped up and everything.

Didn't get to see much of the 170 match but heard it was a good one.

182- Frankrone is a stud. So explosive and strong.

195- Parrot is athletic. Big dude and still technical and fast.

220- Meyers is huge. Definitely hit the weights hard in this past off season. Wrestles like a lightweight with the great takedowns.

Hwt- Johnson is tough. Good big man on his feet. And on top.

bigedcoach: Naplesme- I do know the Christian Co program and my brother was the coach of Waggener for that match and I was sitting front row because I knew the Murray's, so knowledge if what happened was right there, and I have seen Christian Co for 25 years in wrestling both as a wrestler and coach so.

Really, I was coaching mat side, so you still got it wrong. You're questioning mine and my coaching staffs integrity. If you're going to do so, know what you're talking about. Our kid moved into the semi's, not to the finals. Peace from Ryle got the forfeit to the finals because as I said before we would not let our wrestler continue to wrestle. Know what you speak of, before questioning the integrity of someone you know nothing about.

For the second time at state I saw a kid go to shake a coaches hand and the coach ran off and did not shake his hand a but different than the JC coaches not shaking sams hand but still tacky. A Scott coach runs off to coach another match and leaves a kid hanging , IF a wrestler is expected and should shake hands after a match a coach should as well and if they are the only coach get an assistant to show the respect you lack .