Mike Calhoun

State Observations

I sat for 2 days wondering what the Campbell Co. coach had stuck to his tie.....just saw on the photos it was weights and bout numbers...love it!!!  Very disappointed with the atmosphere, my 4 year old even asked when the party would start.   The finals mat should be in the center or at least move the score cubes and put the score on the big screen...we did the bob and weave during most of the finals matches.  So very proud of all the Kentucky wrestlers, they were asked not to party and didn't.....even though they deserved too. If you don't live, breath, & eat this sport you don't understand the time these boys put into it....I'm beginning to think the decision makers have no grasp on the sport at all. 

WE NEED BRACKETS!!!!

WE NEED BRACKETS!!!

Anyone who can't afford the food prices I know a great way to get that money. 

Print some brackets out and stand outside the entrance and sell them.  Heck just bring 25 brackets sell them $2 a peice.  You probablly make a $40-$45 profit.  That pays for your entry into the tourney and a couple of hot dogs. 

Maybe it could be a fund raiser for a team or two. 

At the very least allow for some wi-fi access.   It's kind of difficult to figure out who is wrestling when you don't have a bracket in front of you.  They didn't even give the coaches one at the beginning of the tournament.

What is going on here?  Why no Brackets????????

Heck I know a few people who would probably have paid 5-10 dollars for a bracket.  Especially on the second day.

They didn't even have updated brackets posted anywhere in the building.

WE NEED BRACKETS!!!!

WE NEED BRACKETS!!!

Anyone who can't afford the food prices I know a great way to get that money.

Print some brackets out and stand outside the entrance and sell them. Heck just bring 25 brackets sell them $2 a peice. You probablly make a $40-$45 profit. That pays for your entry into the tourney and a couple of hot dogs.

Maybe it could be a fund raiser for a team or two.

At the very least allow for some wi-fi access. It's kind of difficult to figure out who is wrestling when you don't have a bracket in front of you. They didn't even give the coaches one at the beginning of the tournament.

What is going on here? Why no Brackets????????

they were on track wrestling which I think is better

they were on track wrestling which I think is better

Yes but is you have a dumb phone like myself then you can't access trackwrestling.

I tried to use my wifes phone, but then it is to small for my old eyes to read and keep up with.

If you are only trying to keep up with one wrestler then it may be ok.  But try to keep up with numberous wrestlers on numerous teams its close to imposible unless you have them printed in front of you. 

Why do you think it is  better?  What advantages are there to it being on track wresting with no hard copy of brackets available? 

How about this...

We could find sponsors for a magazine-type program to be sold at the door.  Inside, near the front, include an image of the preceding year's State Dual and State Tournament Championship teams with a brief write-up on each. 

On the individual bracket pages, include a picture of the previous years champion, from the podium, along with astricks beside the names of the returning state place winners who are in the bracket for that year.  On that same page, provide a legend showing who did what in previous years.  ("*" for the first returner, "**" for the second, etc.)  Scatter the sponsor advertisements throughout and in the back offer a list of the previous team champions and individual champions for the last ten years.

So spectators can keep their brackets updated, post large (12x18) brackets per weight class on poster board at four different locations throughout the arena and have workers update them periodically each round.  That way we can have our own brackets and keep them updated.

That is what use to be in the tournament program.

I liked the pictures of the last years state champions.

Let's get it going again...people love to keep them as souvenirs...  My parents still have them from decades ago!

For real I saw that on the khsaa website and didn't see them at the tournament ??? Only those overpriced t shirt booths that I had to take a loan out for lol - that program is cool , I must have missed them at the tournament .

Still don't see how it has eliminated the need. 

How hard is it to post those brackets on the wall and update them at least once during friday.  At the beginning of Saturday and before the finals?

You can't tell me that they were not making money off the brackets.

They may ask you to stop selling them however once the word was out you could just sit in your seat and people would find you.  I know I heard at least 100 times people looking for brackets. 

Technology is moving faster than people can keep up.  Not everyone and my guess not even most people have/had access to trackwrestling at the tournament.

Next year anyone who wants to sell a bracket tell me I will buy one from you,  I'll even buy a second one on Saturday if you update it. 

I know some like to use the internet, but others like to have an actual bracket in hand...it's really not that hard to produce them.  And wireless reception can always be an issue.

If we're concerned the printed brackets will be taken away, can't the KHSAA print and sell the brackets with money-making as the bait?  And I saw plenty of orange colored shirts on middle schoolers who could be used to keep those brackets updated.  Some could be bout sheet runners, but let others be bracket updaters.

I think the arena has both positive and negative aspects.  I like the space and the arena itself is nice but its dirty.  I don't understand why they don't sell brackets nor did I understand why they wouldn't let teams warm up on the mats before the tournament started.

The wrestling in KY is getting better but the reffing needs to improve in order to keep up with the scrambles and better technique.  The refs are very inconsistent on stalling and takedown calls and it has an impact on close matches.  

I saw some great wrestling and very exciting matches in each round including many overtime and 1 point matches.

The finals were disappointing in my eyes. Too many of the finals were not close matches and dominated by one wrestler.  The close matches were exciting but didn't demonstrate great technique or skills, just two evenly matched wrestlers going at it.  Overall great weekend of wrestling.  Congrats to all that stood on the podium.     

I would definitely sell/update brackets for the high school tournament as a fund raiser for our club. How does one go about getting permission to do such a thing??

The finals are like that a lot because of the random draw. The best two may have had each other in the quarters!

lets take an honest look at this quote.

in 8 cases the 3rd place finisher lost to the state champion at the state tourney.  113,132,138,145,160,182,195and HWT

at 113 Schaffer defeated Vega 11-1 and won in the finals 13-3  Same margin of victory

at 132 Erivn defeated Heidorf by a TF and in the finals also won by a TF

at HWT Johnson defeated Lawson by pin in ;43 and in finals won by pin in :56

in these cases the finals were the same as defeating the 3rd place finisher.

at 138 Fausz defeated Barton 19-7 and won in the finals 17-6

at 145 Whalen defeated Hahafer 8-4 and won in the finals 3-1

in these cases the finals were closer than defeating the 3rd place fiisher

in only 3 cases did the champion defeat the runner up by a greater margin than the 3rd place finisher.

160 Lampe had a barn burner with Rusch and won in overtime 4-2 while defeating Cornett in the finals 10-4

182 Frankrone had a close one with Courtney while defeating Mathews 12-1

195 Parrott defated Stevens 5-3 and defeated Morrow 5-1  (not much of a difference)

My conclution is that the random draw did not make much of a difference this year only in maybe 2 wt. classes 160 and 182

I would also add that 182 was one of the tightest wt classes to call therefore maybe only one class would have been changed if not randomly drawn.

At 182 if it would have been seeded smith had wins over Frankrone and Courtney and Frankrone and Courtney over Mathews who beat Smith , sometimes it's not scores but matchups .